Why become a member? ×

DHA-DI

phil_the_bassist

So, I took delivery of a DHA-DI box on Thursday, and was kindly asked by Dave to give my thought on the product...so here goes!

[u]COST:[/u]
£33.50 delivered to your door

[u]SPEC:[/u]
The item is a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44902&hl=DHA+DI"]DHA-DI[/url] and click the link for Daves own words on the spec, and reasoning behind the most simple pedal in his line. It's got an Input, Output, XLR DI out, threeway ground switch (ground, float & [b]ploat[/b] <= :rolleyes: ) and comes with a 9v battery already installed. It will also work with a 9-12vDC centre negative powersource.

[u]INITIAL THOUGHTS:[/u]
It was sent recorded delivery, very well padded in a jiffybag and bubblewrap (and was impossible to get into without using a knife!).
One way I test the build quality of anything i buy is by shaking it HARD and see what rattles: Not a peep! The case is bombproof, the XLR output is all metal with a metal plate to stop it ever disappearing into the body, the LED had a protective metal outer, the threeway switch has a good, solid action with little wobble, the output level knob has that slight resistance to it that makes you feel assured that it's [i]working[/i], like pulling back on a longbow string :) and the rubber feet make the pedal stick fast, even on a wet kitchen floor!

The one slight 'raised eyebrow' was that the pins in the XLR out don't [i]quite[/i] look straight. I asked Dave about this and he said that the XLR connector pins sit in a soft rubber base so sometimes they look funny. The connection is secure, tight and connects/disconnect with no problems at all!

[u]LOOKS:[/u]
As most of you've seen, Dave does a great line in handpainted items, and this is no exception!
The box is thickly painted white, with bloodred streaks daubed across and over the whole unit to make it look like it's had a bad day at the abattoir! The irregularities in the paintjob, with the dust and fluff just add to the effect :lol:
The labels on the unit are written by hand in black marker, with the DOB, s.n. and extra info written on the bottom.

For yet another unique, handpainted, original and distinctive product design...10/10

[u]EASE OF USE:[/u]
It's got an Input, an Output, a DI out, a output level knob, and a switch....not much to work out, not much to get wrong...I think it's safe to give this 10/10!

[u]SOUND QUALITY:[/u]
I first plugged it into my crappy soundcard to check the output. Had the dial on 50% just to check, and it nigh on blew my card! Super-high output, scared the crap outta Mrs PTB (who was stood next to the speaker at the time) and that was merely with me plucking a string to get a level! :D Dialled it back to about 25% and it had a great solid output with no noise, and fantastic for home recording.

Took it to rehearsal yesterday, and used it to send my signal to the PA. Good, solid signal, again with no noise and with the dial below 50%! The only problem with the sound was when I was playing the wrong notes...and in no way attributable to the pedal :rolleyes: !

10/10

[u]RELIABILITY:[/u]
Although I've not had the pedal long, I can foresee no reason for it to go wrong at all. There's nothing I can balls up, it's built like a tank, and if I ran this over with aforementioned tank, the tank'd come off second best!

It comes with a year's warranty nonetheless, and if it breaks outside that time you can send it back to Dave to get it repaired (at cost, of course)!

[i]Provisional[/i] 10/10

[u]CUSTOMER SUPPORT:[/u]
Being as Dave is always willing to answer any queries the forum poses, and the fact that he's answered all my questions within 24hrs, I see no reason why the aftercare would be anything less than top notch...but obviously I've yet to put it to the test!

[i]Provisional[/i] 10/10

[u]OVERALL RATING:[/u]

Bare in mind that this is the same price as the Behringer unit, and you're getting the DHA quality and reputation, it's a Brucey Bargain! ;)

thanks for the review...sounds like a cracking DI, but...

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='533253' date='Jul 5 2009, 07:52 PM']and the rubber feet make the pedal stick fast, even on a wet kitchen floor![/quote]

c'mon...safety first :)

• 5 months later...