Why become a member? ×

Flea Bass Demo Vid

kevbass

Perhaps I should elaborate before people start moaning.

Conceptually, it's supposed to be a cheap quality beginners bass that anyone can get. However it's priced way out of the beginners bracket so it fails there.

I think it looks hideous, some may not.

Sound wise, there's nothing distinct about it and it could be any cheapo bass you could pick up for less than 100 quid.

It doesn't look as nice now as it did in the first concept pictures. The sound is pretty awful too judging by this video, but I suspect the recording method and the dodgy playing might have something to do with this. This is a bit of a shame IMO, as I really hoped this would be a great bass for new players, especially Flea fans who couldn't stretch to a Stingray, Spector or Modulus...

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='533072' date='Jul 5 2009, 03:12 PM']That player is pretty rotten to be fair.

I think in the rights hands the bass would sound a load better (and in fairness, its not all that bad)

G[/quote]

He does have some [i]choise[/i] places to anchor his thumb.

Really not a fan of it at all. looks terrible, its not cheap, sounds terrible.

Ill stick to my Modulus Flea

Just because it sounds terrible here doesn't mean it really does (and regardless, one man's terrible may be another man's great). With the wrong eq/technique, you can make any bass in the world sound terrible. I'd reserve judgement until I'd played one (even then, it will only be my opinion, which may not be valid for anyone else).

I think the player doesn't do it justice. I might be wrong but that guy sounds as if he could make a sawdosky sound awful.

I don't know the price but I like the concept, Cheap bass, shocking looks, either if you like it or not, and overall a decent bass to start with.

Did anyone managed to try one yet?

[quote]I don't know the price but I like the concept, Cheap bass, shocking looks, either if you like it or not, and overall a decent bass to start with.[/quote]

Having had a look around (which was a bit difficult becuase not many places seem to stock them) the prices seem to £300+ for the junior versions and £400+ for the big ones.

That's at least twice what I'd consider to be a beginners budget.

[quote name='Waldo' post='533250' date='Jul 5 2009, 07:49 PM']Having had a look around (which was a bit difficult becuase not many places seem to stock them) the prices seem to £300+ for the junior versions and £400+ for the big ones.

That's at least twice what I'd consider to be a beginners budget.[/quote]

I'll agree with you, even more when you have a decent squier going for £200.
Maybe they should have considered the price a bit better.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='533263' date='Jul 5 2009, 08:01 PM']I'll agree with you, even more when you have a decent squier going for £200.
Maybe they should have considered the price a bit better.[/quote]

To be fair, they're $499 in the US so the usual 'take the dollar sign and replace it with a pound sign' has happened over here.

Actually, that's still quite a lot.

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='Waldo' post='533250' date='Jul 5 2009, 07:49 PM']Having had a look around (which was a bit difficult becuase not many places seem to stock them) the prices seem to £300+ for the junior versions and £400+ for the big ones.

That's at least twice what I'd consider to be a beginners budget.[/quote]

When they came in first of all (and we went around this loop before) they were £500 for the big boys bass and £450 for the junior (which I think this is)

That was soclearly flying in the face of the concept that Flea's website was going on about I got onto them and pointed out the problem. Had af ew back and fro's so maybe they realised how different things are here and changed the price accordingly.

BassCenter now has them for £359 and £319 which is now only about £100 over the "concept" price, IMHO.
Not tried one so I don'tknow if it plays [i]that[/i] much better than a Squire Vibe

BassDirect has specials with East preamps..

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='534568' date='Jul 7 2009, 12:03 PM']I actually think they look good, I'd quite like the orange or blue one, in terms of looks anyway.[/quote]

I think the black one would look pretty smart if you put a black scratchplate on it, or a plexi see through one, or just take off the white one and leave it off.

[quote name='kevbass' post='534590' date='Jul 7 2009, 12:29 PM']I think the black one would look pretty smart if you put a black scratchplate on it, or a plexi see through one, or just take off the white one and leave it off.[/quote]

I understand the plates are stuck on and would take some removing ... so no easy swapping with a screwdriver ...