Why become a member? ×

Basslines that dont change

arabassist

Hiya,

When playing to some songs ive noticed many basslines that have nice rhythyms and grooves but never change, as in it will simply be one or two bars repeated through the whole verse with bits of variations and fills to make it interesting. sometimes, the guitar chords will be changing (or whatever else is in the song). now does this mean the bass is not changing key, or does it not have any key in it? :)

How would you know which note the bass part should be based on (no pun intended) whilst the other instruments/vocals are changing?

I hope that makes sense :rolleyes:

If ya don't understand what i mean here's an example. In this song, the guitars doing some wierdo crap in the background. you've only got bass, drums and rap vocals that mainly audible. since the rapping and drums arent exactly in any key (or are they?) how does the bassist choose what notes to play?

also, listen to the verse in this song

I have a huge feeling ive completely misunderstood and missed the point here.

i think (from listening, not be reading up on them...i could be wrong) that RATM probably knock out a stonking riff, then wrap a song round it. Timmy C tends to do kinda the same thing(s) repeated throughout the song, and Tom morello gets his PedalBoard O' Doom out and starts squeeling over the top.

The songs all seem to be in roughly the same place musically, to fit with Zach's natural tuning of his voice, much like the Dust Junkies tracks always seem to be in and around D, so the vox sound good.

so, in a rambled, longwinded answer to your q, the riff the bass plays was the first bit, and everything else gets shoehorned in around it...it's not so much choosing what to play, but thinking of a wicked riff and letting everyone else to the hard work :)

Every number has a key, except maybe the John Cage pieces pushing a sheaf of hay through the strings of his piano or his 2 mins of silence! Unless my bass isn't in tune, the RATM is in E. The chord might not change (many James Brown numbers) but you have to have a key because, in this case, the bass, guitar and vocals need to be together.

[quote name='arabassist' post='531426' date='Jul 3 2009, 08:56 AM']How would you know which note the bass part should be based on (no pun intended) whilst the other instruments/vocals are changing?[/quote]
If you're covering a song, your starting point for the bass notes are the ones the original bassist used. If you're improvising, keep that original bass part in mind and use it as a springboard.

The technique is know as [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostinato"]ostinato[/url] (from an Italian word meaning stubborn). The bass (or it can be another instrument) stubbornly sticks to a particular riff (or "figure" if you want to talk in classical music terms) while other instruments define the harmonic movement of the song. Relatively simple chords can sound more complex because they are in tension against the ostinato pattern.

Wulf

[quote name='wulf' post='534436' date='Jul 7 2009, 09:46 AM']The technique is know as [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostinato"]ostinato[/url] (from an Italian word meaning stubborn).[/quote]

I guess that's where our word 'Obstinate' comes from?

[quote name='ahpook' post='534683' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:00 PM']have we forgotten this one ?

genius song, genius bass/piano line which really carries the song - an excellent example of ostinato as wulf mentioned.[/quote]
....Hmmmm....when does the genius bit start??!!

Well, for repeating bass lines possibly the best known popular piece is Pachelbel's Canon in D, which you can hear in an outstanding performance below. The first eight notes in the bass repeat throughout the piece - why not play along? :)

Edited by sdgrsr400

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='535079' date='Jul 7 2009, 08:15 PM']Well, for repeating bass lines possibly the best known popular piece is Pachelbel's Canon in D, which you can hear in an outstanding performance below. The first eight notes in the bass repeat throughout the piece - why not play along? :)[/quote]

Seen dis?

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='535079' date='Jul 7 2009, 08:15 PM']Well, for repeating bass lines possibly the best known popular piece is Pachelbel's Canon in D, which you can hear in an outstanding performance below. The first eight notes in the bass repeat throughout the piece - why not play along? :)[/quote]

hmmm.

thanks...i'm all relaxed now. and a damn fine example of unchanging basslines.

Once In A Lifetime, Talking Heads.

Utterly brilliant in its simplicity - two notes (with occasional slides and fills)! Though Tina Weymouth played it but I've always sensed a bit of Eno's ambient influence on this one.

Edited by rjb

[quote name='wulf' post='534436' date='Jul 7 2009, 09:46 AM']If you're covering a song, your starting point for the bass notes are the ones the original bassist used. If you're improvising, keep that original bass part in mind and use it as a springboard.

The technique is know as [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostinato"]ostinato[/url] (from an Italian word meaning stubborn). The bass (or it can be another instrument) stubbornly sticks to a particular riff (or "figure" if you want to talk in classical music terms) while other instruments define the harmonic movement of the song. Relatively simple chords can sound more complex because they are in tension against the ostinato pattern.

Wulf[/quote]

learn something new every day :) nice one!