Why become a member? ×

2x12" DIY project

Boneless

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='540585' date='Jul 14 2009, 06:43 PM']Which goes to why everyone who does know how speakers work in this and other forums have told you that you should not be trying to design your own cab. :)[/quote]

Bit harsh. I suppose all your cabs were perfect first time?

[quote name='Protium' post='540590' date='Jul 14 2009, 01:47 PM']Bit harsh. I suppose all your cabs were perfect first time?[/quote]
Of course not. But before building my first cab I spent a month in my college library researching how speakers work, and the first few cabs I built were pre-existing designs from acknowledged experts in the field. So, while not perfect by any means, they still worked better than off the shelf. The questions being posed by the OP may seem innocuous enough to the average reader, but they're akin to going to a DIY aircraft forum and asking 'why do I need a wing?'.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='540652' date='Jul 14 2009, 08:09 PM']Of course not. But before building my first cab I spent a month in my college library researching how speakers work, and the first few cabs I built were pre-existing designs from acknowledged experts in the field. So, while not perfect by any means, they still worked better than off the shelf. The questions being posed by the OP may seem innocuous enough to the average reader, but they're akin to going to a DIY aircraft forum and asking 'why do I need a wing?'.[/quote]

It seems to me like the OP has done a lot of research, but still has a few questions. I would expect a civilised response, especially from one of the experts on here.

Well, as I stated before, I am not searching for perfection.
If I really wanted to build the "perfect" cab, I'd probably enroll at Uni in some subject related to it (I don't know, maybe Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and the sort).
Anyway, I have followed most of the advice that has been given to me. I have read countless articles about making speakers. I'm still far from actually knowing even the basics of loudspeaker design, but I'm only doing it as a hobby. One day, perhaps, I will delve more thoroughly into the subject. Keep in mind that my primary concern is that the cab "works" and that it won't break my amp.

It is only a personal challenge, to see if I can actually make something usable. If I'm at least partly satisfied with the result, it will be a good reason for me to continue and do something better (say, if I find out that building a cab is too much effort for me, since I don't have any woodworking abilities, and I never attended a shop class in my life, since my school didn't have one :) ). I don't plan to make profit on my stuff, and I probably never will. I have my studies to care for.

BTW, I have examined some designs (the ones I could freely find, generally the ready-made designs by the driver manufacturers, which are pretty "generic" - 4x10", 1x15", 1x12", etc.). I'm not just giving it a shot blindfolded.

Edited by Boneless