Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass.....Any suggestions?

FuNkShUi

Im thinking of getting an acoustic bass, as we play acoustic gigs with the band, and rather than just plug a normal bass through the P.A (which sounds toilet!), i fancy a acoustic ones.
Not very knowledgable on this subject though, so was looking for recommendations?
Ive got about £600 to work with
thanks in advance

I have tried many, the best acoustic sound I think is the Eko (I think it's about £275?)
At the moment I'm playing (and it's my main bass) an Ibanez AEB 8E. Not the loudest acoustic but plugged in it's massive. After every gig someone comes up and says how good it sounds. It's the bottom of the Ibanez bass AEB range (£250) I can't imagine just how wonderful the other models are.
I've not tried anything more expensive than the Eko, I tried a Fender years ago and liked it (the black finish was better that nutural)
Ibanez go up to about £400, for £600 you should get something pretty amazing.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='530493' date='Jul 2 2009, 12:28 PM']I have tried many, the best acoustic sound I think is the Eko (I think it's about £275?)
At the moment I'm playing (and it's my main bass) an Ibanez AEB 8E. Not the loudest acoustic but plugged in it's massive. After every gig someone comes up and says how good it sounds. It's the bottom of the Ibanez bass AEB range (£250) I can't imagine just how wonderful the other models are.
I've not tried anything more expensive than the Eko, I tried a Fender years ago and liked it (the black finish was better that nutural)
Ibanez go up to about £400, for £600 you should get something pretty amazing.[/quote]

I have a Ibanez in my arsenal at the moment. Its electric though. I actually really like it. It was bought as a budget bass, to serve as backup, but its really useful to have. Extremely versatile, and with 2 bartolini mk2, it can be loud as hell! may well be worth checking them out in acoustic.....

[quote name='FuNkShUi' post='530473' date='Jul 2 2009, 12:12 PM']Im thinking of getting an acoustic bass, as we play acoustic gigs with the band, and rather than just plug a normal bass through the P.A (which sounds toilet!), i fancy a acoustic ones.
Not very knowledgable on this subject though, so was looking for recommendations?
Ive got about £600 to work with
thanks in advance[/quote]

I've got a Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 Custom which I actually bought from the US and imported, but you can get them in the UK now. They also do them in a version with a string missing :) Would recommend and not a bank breaker - fits the budget. Good punchy tone unplugged - if a little bright, but softer strings sorted that (Thomastik-Infeld AB34xx). Low B is OK, not wow, but good if plugged in. Electronics are Fishman and do the job fine. Perhaps a little different from the usual Ibanez/Washburn route...

I have an Epiphone El Capitan and it's a cracker.

It's big, very big. So unplugged it has a decent amount of volume and a very pleasing tone.

Amped it's an absolute beast. It can do some very nice, warm, traditional acoustic sounds, but can also, with a bit of EQ tweaking kick out a blistering rock tone.

The only real drawback with it is the feedback if you don't have room to stand a good way off from your rig.
What makes this slightly more of a problem is the oval sound hole which precludes the use of one of those insert things, whatever the proper name for them is.

Not sure of the prices nowadays, but mine cost me £650 about 12 years ago, hard case included.