Why become a member? ×

Lakland DJ4/5

Veils

I very nearly bought a DJ4 today and have now decided I would quite like to get me one. I have been in touch with Bass Central and they have quoted me a price of $1189 for a 4 string (they claim RRP is $1699) and $1329.00 for a 5 ($1899 RRP).

I am trying to spend less than £750 if possible which means these seem like great prices. They have also quoted me about $295 for shipping. What is the likelihood I am going to get stung on customs and how much is it likely to be? I know little about these things. I remember me and a mate ordered hoodies from the states, mine got checked, his didn't and I remember being narked about how much I had to pay!!

I checked the importing thread but there wasn't much about the States, mainly Ishibashi.....

For example $1329 (bass) + $295 (shipping - which seems about double what you should be paying if you ask me. Speak to THE DUDE) + 5% (Import duty - rough, may be less) + VAT.

So (((1329+295)*1.05)*1.175)/2 = £1k

I say again, speak to Steve "Dude" Barr at the dudepit. He may be able to help you bring this down a bit. Alternatively buy the JO dudepit ltd edition in the for sale section. I've got one and it's a corker!

Does it have to be new? Used in the UK you can get them in ace condition from as low £650 up to about £800 and you know exactly what you're paying for.

With regards shipping in the US, there's been a change in the USPS policy for shipping to the UK which now means a well packed bass is about two inches too big to be shipped, though do they take a tape measure to these things I wonder?

I imported a second hand DJ5 from the US a few months back. It was shipped FedEx (who made no charge for handling the import duties). The value of the bass was declared at, I think, $700 and in the end, with shipping and duty it cost me a hair under £800.

As I say though, I have seen DJ5s go for as little as £650 on Bassworld, though I think people are getting to know now just how great they are and I sold the on I imported a few weeks back and got my money back. I paid £700 for my white DJ5 with batolini pre-amp fitted back before Christmas 2006.

Edited by P-T-P

[quote name='Sean' post='55632' date='Sep 4 2007, 11:06 PM']I got away with it twice using UPS from Bass Central.[/quote]

Yes but if you had planned on not having to pay it you would surely have ended up with a bill! Best to budget for the worst...