Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

[quote name='woolz' post='558380' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:44 AM']....ok cheers. i play very loud indeed. quite heard rock but not metal. maybe the 15's are for me then....[/quote]
I've only used the ER15's and they work well for what I do. I believe Dood uses the ER25's so maybe he plays louder than I do. PM him and ask about the differences.

Also you could call the ACS guys and discuss which type is best.

• 2 weeks later...

After a 6 month bout of tinnitus a few years ago i always wear earplugs when I go to see a band but I've found them difficult when I'm playing. I've tried Heroes and ER-20's (and Boots foam plugs and, in dire emergencies, bog roll.
The good bit is that if your partner and mates all have ear plugs in too you can talk to each other without shouting as those frequencies are audible, even in front of the stage.

After the article in Bass Guitar Magazine I've had my impressions taken (Ormorods in Boots) and I'm waiting for my custom ECS plugs to show up to use when playing. We do a lot of talking to the audience and each other on stage so I'm hoping the general reduction in level will work better than the selected frequencies the ER-20's give and that I don't then end up playing too loud in the mix ...

I have a feeling the "in head foldback" effect will make playing sax a very weird experience

We will see :)

• 1 month later...

Well they arrived, ent back to getthe strings I'd asked fro fitted and got stuck in the postal strike .......
Eventually showed up at the factory and were back inside 3 days. Not bad service but not quite as good as fitting the cords in the frirst place.

Two gigs in and things are working out.

I still have to sound check and set levels without the plugs in but once we get going I stick them in.
They are brilliant when playing. I can hear what I'm playing much more clearly and the rest of the band Ok. The only down side is that when singing I can hear nothing but my internal fold back so a bit of adjustment has been needed so I make sure I play the right notes when singing cos if I don't I can't hear the error.

In between numbers (which can be quite a long time for us whilst we set up the dances) I take them out to make the talking and hearing bit easier. I have to hear the heckles :)

They were an absolute God send at the first gig I used them. The DJ was hitting 120 Db in a small (empty) room whilst we were packing up. We measured him. The band managed just 105 Db when playing .. drums, cymbals and all ......

Well worth the dosh IMHO

[quote name='OldGit' post='611492' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:01 AM']The only down side is that when singing I can hear nothing but my internal fold back so a bit of adjustment has been needed so I make sure I play the right notes when singing cos if I don't I can't hear the error.[/quote]

It's the main drawback of earplugs (though it can also be a boon, for those occasions when the monitoring ain't so good). I suppose the solution, if you want it, is IEMs.

S.P.

I got a pair of ER20's just in time for a dep gig over the weekend with the loudest old-skool blues band I have ever heard. Great, great fun, but without the ER20's I probably wouldn't be able to hear anything now. I was very pleasantly suprised.

Mind you, I'm not sure wether I'd be able to get away with wearing them in my other bands which are more dynamic and are heavy on the BVs. We'll see...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='611788' date='Sep 29 2009, 11:46 AM']I got a pair of ER20's just in time for a dep gig over the weekend with the loudest old-skool blues band I have ever heard. Great, great fun, but without the ER20's I probably wouldn't be able to hear anything now. I was very pleasantly suprised.

Mind you, I'm not sure wether I'd be able to get away with wearing them in my other bands which are more dynamic and are heavy on the BVs. We'll see...[/quote]

One on the drumer side might help :)

• 3 weeks later...

Currently using ER20s and loving them, but I am planning on getting some moulded plugs made up for a Christmas present to myself. One question though as the filters only come as ER15 or ER25 - which ones do I go for? I really like the 20 dB reduction of my current plugs and I don't want my tinnitus getting any worse if 15 dB is too little, but will 25 dB be too much?

The bands I'm in at the moment are remarkably well behaved, but I'd like to get back into playing metal again sometime in the future and I know that I'll be thankful for the 25 dB reduction. Does anyone have any trouble playing with a well behaved band using ER25s?

[quote name='peted' post='629055' date='Oct 17 2009, 09:22 PM']Currently using ER20s and loving them, but I am planning on getting some moulded plugs made up for a Christmas present to myself. One question though as the filters only come as ER15 or ER25 - which ones do I go for? I really like the 20 dB reduction of my current plugs and I don't want my tinnitus getting any worse if 15 dB is too little, but will 25 dB be too much?

The bands I'm in at the moment are remarkably well behaved, but I'd like to get back into playing metal again sometime in the future and I know that I'll be thankful for the 25 dB reduction. Does anyone have any trouble playing with a well behaved band using ER25s?[/quote]

You can change the filters so you coudl start with 25s and go to 15s if they don't work. Not cheap though.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='784880' date='Mar 24 2010, 04:50 PM']...that someone told you while you were in the waiting room?

ha ha etc

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah
Your girl friend's husband :)
He was my next patient.

Edited by OldGit

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just back from the hearing test - hearing is good but I have minor 4000hz damage in my left ear which is almost definitely from the drummer's ride cymbal.

ER custom plugs ordered, here in 4-6 weeks now all I have to do is confirm the colour I want.

[quote name='Toasted' post='798641' date='Apr 7 2010, 01:14 PM']Well, just back from the hearing test - hearing is good but I have minor 4000hz damage in my left ear which is almost definitely from the drummer's ride cymbal.

ER custom plugs ordered, here in 4-6 weeks now all I have to do is confirm the colour I want.[/quote]

Getting custom plugs is one of the best purchases I've made. Good investment, Joe.

I use ER20's but it might be a idea to scale down the snare, We tested 3 of our drummers and we use the quietest one. The volumes can still push it though and this helps no one...not the band or audience.
The drummer plays so much better when he is hitting them...and the take on the song goes up a good few notches but I just wish it wasn't this way round. You would think the drums would be better at a quieter volume, but they aren't..to my mind.