Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

[quote name='Finbar' post='510314' date='Jun 10 2009, 04:09 PM']....How cheaply..? I would seriously consider a second set if it was cheap enough....[/quote]
If I'm reading this right!! This is from their web site....

[i]Gel Service just £20
To aid easy replacement of lost items or alternative products without the need for new impressions we offer our ‘Gel Service’. We hold permanent imprints on file for 4 years – ideal for professional musicians on tour.[/i]

So with new filters, approx £80, that's £100 for a second set.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='510432' date='Jun 10 2009, 05:37 PM']If I'm reading this right!! This is from their web site....

[i]Gel Service just £20
To aid easy replacement of lost items or alternative products without the need for new impressions we offer our ‘Gel Service’. We hold permanent imprints on file for 4 years – ideal for professional musicians on tour.[/i]

So with new filters, approx £80, that's £100 for a second set.[/quote]

Chris, that could be very useful to me but I'm struggling to find that bit. Could you please post a link?

Thanks.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='510666' date='Jun 10 2009, 09:35 PM']....that could be very useful to me but I'm struggling to find that bit. Could you please post a link....[/quote]

[url="http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=76"]http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.p...2&Itemid=76[/url]

Half way down on the right.

Thanks Chris.

Just been talking to ACS - the Gel Service only applies IF you sign up for it when you get your mouldings taken.

If you didn't sign up for it (or weren't told about it - :) ) then your mouldings are destroyed once they've made your plugs.

The guys I went to for my plugs (Hidden Hearing, in Duke Street) are ... erm ... no longer dealers.

I'm going to ask another dealer what it would cost to get some more moulds made up.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='510552' date='Jun 10 2009, 07:37 PM']OUCH! I'm still not sure about upgrading... I've got some that work fr me that sometimes get thrown off simply because it sounds better and lets me get into dah groov![/quote]

Once you've had custom moulded you never go back, it's a whole different product. For the price of a decent pedal you can protect your hearing in supreme comfort. Some of the best money I've ever spent without doubt.

To save me reading all 9 pages again... is there a simple, cheap way of having this moulded plugs made to take the music output from a phone (as well as being hearing protectors)?

I don't own an iPod etc but my latest phone has an expandable memory and I'm quite digging the music feature of my 'phone' (though I'm beginning to think the phone isn't even the secondary function of the apparatus :) ). However, the headphones are cr*p! I seriously can not get them to stay in my ears AT ALL, even when sitting perfectly still. Unfortunately the output from the phone is one of the Samsung mini (flat) USB style adapters and there probably aren't going to be a whole heap of reasonably priced headphone/buttons available.

Thoughts?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='511442' date='Jun 11 2009, 05:19 PM']To save me reading all 9 pages again... [b]is there a simple, cheap way of having this moulded plugs[/b] made to take the music output from a phone (as well as being hearing protectors)?[/quote]

No.

Or at least I don't think so. I did ask a question about removing the filters and fitting a set of earphones into these, but the opinion on the previous page is that the integrity of the mould may be comprimised if you keep removing the filter and refitting (as well as fitting your earphone).
Again, I see the options are fairly limited and understand there are some Sennheiser IEMs that will fit into the mould, although I don't know how, and another company sells the adaptors that take the place of the filter for an Etymotic ER6 for a fiver - the ER6s will cost you another 60 quid or so.

HOWEVER (and I write this in capitals as it excited me!) Comply foam tips are available for the ER6s, which also fit the following:

# Griffin - EarJams - TuneBuds
# JVC - HA-FX300
# Shure - E2c - E2g - i2c - SLC2 - Quietspot QSHB3 - Quietspot QSHB4 - Quietspot QSH13

Which would lead me to suggest that these would also fit into the adaptor used for the ER6 - but don't hold me to that in case they don't - but again, these aren't going to be cheap.

I have a set of Denon AH C551s with some comply tips which not only stay in my ears but provide enough isolation to be able to sit on a plane or train and listen to my iPod on half volume. Not cheap, but very good.

If you've use ER20s or similar, get some CX300 sennheisers from play for 13 quid and they should stay in your ears with the tri flange bud thingy they have and you should also be able to find an adaptor to connect your 3.5mm jack to the Samsung mini USB connection.

Edited by john_the_bass

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='4287' date='May 22 2007, 12:12 PM']well first time after practice last night my left ear was really hurting, still is to be honest so i think now is the time to do something about it (might be a bit late but better than not at all) seeing as my amp is now really chucking out the volume.
so is it possible to pull over the sticky from the last forum or shall we just start afresh.

recommendations[/quote]
I tried the earplugs I wear on my motorbike but couldn't really hear enough of the music, or my own tone. I find the best cure is to stand away from a) the PA :) the guitarist's stack and c) to keep on the snare side of the drummer. They tend to have their bigger cymbals on the other side - and big cymbals are REALLY loud, probably the loudest thing in the band. It's the high frequescies that cause the trouble.

[quote name='JohnnyLightyear' post='539208' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:16 AM']Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a custom set of ear plugs made in east/central london?

Sorry if this is repeating a question asked earlier, but it is a very long thread!

Cheers, Johnny :)[/quote]
David Ormorod. They usually have an office in larger Boots shops.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna pick up some earplugs soon as starting to notice a quiet ringing occasionally after practice so need to stop it before it gets worse. After reading this thread I'm going to pick up some ER20's (wish I could afford custom moulded but they will have to wait), wheres the cheapest place to pick these up online? Thanks

Edited by descendent87

[quote name='descendent87' post='550679' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:57 PM']Gonna pick up some earplugs soon as starting to notice a quiet ringing occasionally after practice so need to stop it before it gets worse. After reading this thread I'm going to pick up some ER20's (wish I could afford custom moulded but they will have to wait), wheres the cheapest place to pick these up online? Thanks[/quote]
Not sure that they are the cheapest, but I got mine from [url="http://www.hearforlife.co.uk/product_detail.php?ppid=1&catId=1&cname=hi-fidelity%20nusicians%20earplugs"]here[/url] - £7.39 including postage. Very quick delivery as well.

just a quckie to say I'm loving my Baby Blues (used them for a gig tonight). They are ER-20's but made for the smaller ear canal. I've always found normal ER-20's to be a bit uncomfortable, but the Baby Blues are great for me and do the job. Worth checking out :) .

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='551521' date='Jul 26 2009, 01:05 AM']just a quckie to say I'm loving my Baby Blues (used them for a gig tonight). They are ER-20's but made for the smaller ear canal. I've always found normal ER-20's to be a bit uncomfortable, but the Baby Blues are great for me and do the job. Worth checking out :) .[/quote]
Definitely - my wife has a pair of those from the place I mentioned above. They go under the exciting name of ER 20-s there :rolleyes: And they are 10p cheaper than mine!

To answer my own question about where to get a pair of moulded ear plugs in London, I can strongly recommend Dr Patel at [url="http://www.londonhearing.co.uk/"]London Hearing[/url] on Harley Street. Custom ER-15s and a free hearing test, the results of which he will go through with you, all for £170, which is less than I've seen quoted elsewhere.

Mine come in a week- can't wait!

just read through this post. i currently use some cheapish foam plugs which block out all high freq noise which does work but i cant hear much when rehersing. hardly any guitar. any looking to spend more on plugs if they work better than my current ones.
is specsavers the best place to use??
also whats the difference between e15/20/25. cheers

[quote name='woolz' post='558358' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:22 AM']....i currently use some cheapish foam plugs which block out all high freq noise which does work but i cant hear much when rehersing. hardly any guitar. any looking to spend more on plugs if they work better than my current ones. is specsavers the best place to use?? also whats the difference between e15/20/25....[/quote]
Foam plugs are better than nothing. They protect your hearing but really mess with the frequencies. The custom moulded plugs have filters which reduce volume without changing the sound. Well, they do take off some top end but not as much as any other hearing protection. I got my moulded plugs from David Ormerod, who have an office in the local Boots store. How loud do you play? For regular band work they usually recommended the ER15's which I have and they are fine up to pretty high volumes. The ER20's are not moulded and don't use the filter. I was told the ER20's are for Metal drummers!!

Have a look at www.hearingprotection.co.uk

Edited by chris_b