Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

Okay, a quick question or two.

I've never really gotten along with the ER20s I have. They make everything seem too 'detached' when I'm playing live, and while it allows me to pitch better when I'm singing, I cannot gauge how loud I'm singing, so end up singing really quietly!

However, I'm really contemplating dropping the bomb on these ER15s now I have a job. Its only a weeks wages, y'know? Am I fine just to walk into any Specsavers and sort them out in there? I think the 15 decibel reduction may be more for me than the 20 decibel reduction the ER20s give me (supposedly). And I may even drop it to the 9 decibel filters. I like to be able to hear my music loud, but I don't want to lose my hearing!

Also, Dood mentioned some earphones that fit directly into the ER15s. I looked on their site, and found they made earphones, but didn't see any specifically for plugging into their earplugs. Can anyone link me?

Ta ducks.

Like he says - should have gone to specsavers. Some Boots stores have hearing centres as well. You should expect to make an appointment like anything else.

I think if you are looking for monitors to go in the ER plugs you need to look at the monitor sites not the plugs site, as I expect there are more than one monitor that fits, and they are not paying ER to recommend them :huh: Cynical :) me :huh:

Edited by bass_ferret

• 2 months later...

I just got my first set of custom moulded ER15 plugs. I used to use the 'off the shelf' ER20s. I really couldn't get into the music with the ER20s, I felt so detached so I went for the custom plugs.

I've only used them at 2 rehearsals so far and I still feel quite detached from the music (not as much as the ER15s though) and I also struggle to hear the subtle things in my (and other's) playing - ghost notes etc.

Do you think it's just a case of getting used to them or do other people experience the same?

[quote name='Finbar' post='316140' date='Oct 27 2008, 08:38 PM']'and while it allows me to pitch better when I'm singing'[/quote]

Hi guys, I was just going to ask about this before I saw Finbars comments. I'm definately up for protecting the listeners, but when on stage, particularly singing high harmonies, was just wondering if any one else has found the 'being able to actually hear your own voice' benefit of ear plugs. I was looking into in ear monitoring, but if can go down the ear plug route with the same benefit, it'd save me some hassle. I know it's not the primary function of ear protection, but would be rather a nice benefit.

PS, I haven't intended to change the thread topic folks, PM's with opinions are fine.

[quote name='Ray' post='382188' date='Jan 16 2009, 11:49 AM']I just got my first set of custom moulded ER15 plugs. I used to use the 'off the shelf' ER20s. I really couldn't get into the music with the ER20s, I felt so detached so I went for the custom plugs.

I've only used them at 2 rehearsals so far and I still feel quite detached from the music (not as much as the ER15s though) and I also struggle to hear the subtle things in my (and other's) playing - ghost notes etc.

Do you think it's just a case of getting used to them or do other people experience the same?[/quote]
You will have to get used to them as they do change the sound, but in my experience they change sound less than other forms of plugs. I liked them straight away but my bands were probably louder with less subtle playing, which might have made the transition easier for me!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Finbar' post='409197' date='Feb 14 2009, 01:11 AM']The filters have started coming out of my ER15s. I'm not a happy bunny. They get very loose then pop out. I'm scared to even use them incase I lose a filter tbh ;)[/quote]

From the length of time it would appear you have had them you are well within your rights to return them as they are patently not fit for purpose if this is the case. You should of course expect to give them the opportunity to rectify any problem but they should do it within reasonable time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I had arranged to go into Boots and see one of their David Omerod hearing aid fellas for the free 5 minute assessment. I've worn ER-20s for about 3 years, starting possibly after the damage had been done, and I'd been thinking about the custom moulds for about 18 months.

I probably shouldn't have done (money, etc) but I bought a set from Boots in Leicester city centre there and then, for £164.50 including impressions - which is a very strange sensation. Whole thing takes about 10 minutes and then the moulds take 2 - 4 weeks.
I know it's the right thing to do, especially as I have a lot more band work this year, but I should probably have held onto the readies until I was in a better position! :)

Incidentally, my hearing was apparently within the normal limit - I have trouble having a conversation in a loud room and can often hear somebody on the other side of the room talking, but not the person directly in front of me, so this came as a surprise. The 5 minute assessment only covers 4 frequencies which are apparently the main speech frequencies.

Having worked in the H&S industry, I'd suggest getting in touch with your local supplier (Arco is a goo place to start) and getting a plug that is rated at over 30SNR. 26 SNR should be about right unless you are playing seriously loud!

There are loads of options, and for the exposure time for a rehearsal of gig (generally up to 3hours) will offer enough protection to avoid ringing ears or any lasting damage. You may need to try a few befroe you get a good fit though. About 8 years ago I was jumped by 4 guys and beaten to a pulp. My left ear canal was split from the outside to about 1.5mm from the ear drum (anymore and I wouldn't play music again!). After it healed the scar tissue was raised and as such forces out nearly all ear plugs from my left ear! After a year of serching I found the Uvex Ultrafit... which stays in and offers enough protection for me.

I wear for gigs, both playing and listening. Does the job perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

I shelled out the £165 for a pair of ER15's a few weeks ago after having a slight, but very worrying ring in my ears for over a week (that has now thankfully disappeared). I have owned a pair of standard musician's earplugs for ages, but never wore them due to their being [i]really[/i] uncomfortable (I think the openings to my ear canals are pretty small) and not being able to make out all of what was said between playing due to the quite severe sound level reduction and, moreover, the muffling effect.

Anyway, they arrived this morning and though of course I've not rehearsed with them yet, I did try them out briefly. When I first put them in I wasn't sure I had done it properly because everything sounded just the same as it had done before putting them in. It was only when I took them out and noticed the considerable volume increase that I realised they really do sound that transparent - a hundred times better than the £15 plugs ('Hearos' I think). They're comfortable, as you'd expect, and the only negative effect of having them in is the slight rumbling they can cause if you're talking or, say moving your jaw for whatever reason.

I've only been rehearsing at volume for just under three years, and I wish [i]I[/i] had gotten them sooner! It is a bit of an expense for some, but it's absolutely worth every penny, and I think we should all play a role in encouraging their use so that people can benefit before having the damaging effects of loudness proved to them.

[quote name='danlea' post='503051' date='Jun 1 2009, 04:43 PM']I shelled out the £165 for a pair of ER15's a few weeks ago after having a slight, but very worrying ring in my ears for over a week (that has now thankfully disappeared). I have owned a pair of standard musician's earplugs for ages, but never wore them due to their being [i]really[/i] uncomfortable (I think the openings to my ear canals are pretty small) and not being able to make out all of what was said between playing due to the quite severe sound level reduction and, moreover, the muffling effect.

Anyway, they arrived this morning and though of course I've not rehearsed with them yet, I did try them out briefly. When I first put them in I wasn't sure I had done it properly because everything sounded just the same as it had done before putting them in. It was only when I took them out and noticed the considerable volume increase that I realised they really do sound that transparent - a hundred times better than the £15 plugs ('Hearos' I think). They're comfortable, as you'd expect, and the only negative effect of having them in is the slight rumbling they can cause if you're talking or, say moving your jaw for whatever reason.

I've only been rehearsing at volume for just under three years, and I wish [i]I[/i] had gotten them sooner! It is a bit of an expense for some, but it's absolutely worth every penny, and I think we should all play a role in encouraging their use so that people can benefit before having the damaging effects of loudness proved to them.[/quote]

Yep there are awesome and aren't your ears worth £165? Glad the ringing has gone, I just wish mine would, but that ain't gonna happen unfortunately. Yeah the sound of your own voice in your ears is a bit annoying to begin with, but it makes for great monitoring if you sing at all. :)

I got my Er15s on Friday and I'm very impressed so far - not had a chance to use them with any volume but am amazed at how much detail they let through compared with the Er-20s.
I would consider buying the adaptors and a set of ER-6s and using them with my iPod, but I don't know if continually removing and replacing the filters will end up damaging the mould

I think it would. I removed mine and put them in twice, and they didn't go back in quite how they were when I got them. If I was really serious about using some for iPod/IEM purposes, I would get a set specifically for that purpose.

[quote name='Finbar' post='508294' date='Jun 8 2009, 04:18 PM']I think my ER15s got lost at a gig on Saturday night :)

I'm fuming :/[/quote]

I almost lost my left one at a gig on Friday. I spent the best part of an hour crawling around on the floor looking for the bugger before I found it..... Time well spent.

[quote name='Finbar' post='509536' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:51 PM']Phew.

They were found rolling round the boot of our guitarist's car.

I'm relieved.[/quote]

Was gonna say know a girl who works in Corp n I could ask her for you matey.

Glad you found em tho, sorry couldnt make the gig but... Germany init.
Dont forget to gimme a shout about your gig in Donny next month!

Hijack? mehh.

[quote name='Finbar' post='509536' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:51 PM']....They were found rolling round the boot of our guitarist's car....[/quote]
ACS holds the moulds for 4 years so you can get replacement plugs made up quite cheaply.