Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

[quote name='andrewrx7' post='152275' date='Mar 6 2008, 11:37 AM']What surprises me, is that the other 2 still don't use any ear denfenders, and just rely on their natural ability to repeatedly recover after rehearsal/gigs.[/quote]

I guess if they knew that their ears [i]aren't[/i] actually recovering, then maybe they would think differently? The ringing may have died down, but the damage has already been done. Hearing damage is cumulative, so everytime you get ringing ears, that's [i]more[/i] damage on top of the last time. I think mebbe a lot of musicians don't know that until it is too late.

My right ear is really ringing tonight.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='152591' date='Mar 6 2008, 06:59 PM']I've seen various locum doctors who have tried to tell me I just have wax that is causing the constant ringing in my ears.[/quote]

I find that so hard to believe too... Never heard of wax causing ringing ears. Infection and tinnitus I do know causes ringy ears!

I've just read the whole of this thread, and have purchased myself a set of ER-20s, and i intend to have a right rant at any band member that dares to take the p*ss.

I must admit, i did fork out a whole £1.50 more than i really needed to, so that i could get some that have blue outside ends.... :huh:

When i was younger, i had a hole in my left eardrum from repeated ear infections (i got one every time i got a cold) and couldn't go swimming because of this, (I got it surgically repaired a few years ago, but I'm still not fully trusting enough to submerge my head :) ). But sticking my finger into my right ear when watching telly or whatever, i can really notice the difference, so i think it's best i don't let my hearing get any worse.

Edited by allighatt0r

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='154082' date='Mar 9 2008, 06:44 PM']I've just read the whole of this thread, and have purchased myself a set of ER-20s, and i intend to have a right rant at any band member that dares to take the p*ss.

I must admit, i did fork out a whole £1.50 more than i really needed to, so that i could get some that have blue outside ends.... :huh:

When i was younger, i had a hole in my left eardrum from repeated ear infections (i got one every time i got a cold) and couldn't go swimming because of this, (I got it surgically repaired a few years ago, but I'm still not fully trusting enough to submerge my head :) ). But sticking my finger into my right ear when watching telly or whatever, i can really notice the difference, so i think it's best i don't let my hearing get any worse.[/quote]

They're really good the ER20'S, I felt a little isolated when I first started using them but then everything was a lot clearer and I don't blink if the drummer decides he's going to crack the snare when we're setting up ;)

I've had a pair of Er20's for ages but never used them till about 4 weeks ago. I wont play without them now, took a bit of getting used to but the benefit of being able to hear when Im older really made me want to give them a go. They actually help with backing vocals as well!!! I seem to be able to pitch better thsn without them!!

Well my ER20s arrived on Friday morning as planned (forked out the extra £4 for next day delivery) and used them at rehearsal yesterday - it was so nice to spend all last night without the usual aural interference that occurs following an afternoons' practice...

Must admit it was a little strange at first but I quickly got used to the way things sounded when they were in and I'm pleased to report that in my mind it didn't affect my playing at all (opinions may vary ;) ). If anything the bass was more prominent in my head that it usually is even though according to the rough recording we made at the weekend its not loud enough in the actual acoustic mix :) although that's probably more to do with the small mic attached to my minidisk player and the poor acoustics in the room...

All in all glad I tried them out and will be using them for the foreseeable with the rock trio :huh:

[quote name='Jase' post='154192' date='Mar 9 2008, 09:05 PM']...and I don't blink if the drummer decides he's going to crack the snare when we're setting up ;)[/quote]

I hate that! :huh:

I just have to wait for my damn paypal payment to clear through... i don't have a debit or credit card so it goes by bank account... takes at least a friggin' week most of the time :)

• 2 months later...

right - where's the cheapest place a tight arse like me can get a set of moulded ER-15s? I don't really fancy doing my own impressions, so anywhere I can get the impressions done in the price is good and also anybody that will colour them gratis as well is always a winner

looked at sensorcom, audiorelief and hearingprotection so far

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='40920' date='Aug 3 2007, 02:53 PM']The custom moulded plugs... anyone know who/where they are done at a cost of less than £160?

I know my hearing is worth that but I'm sure I've seen moulds being made at Game Fair trade stands (shooting type game fair NOT Warhammer, D&D etc) for £60-£70![/quote]

[url="http://www.hearyourself.com/"]http://www.hearyourself.com/[/url]

Has anyone here used them?

They do plugs to suit third party transducers, seems a good idea.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='197405' date='May 12 2008, 07:16 PM']they all seem to be about the same price.[/quote]
i'm coming to that conclusion - there's no benefit to buying online, especially as i think you'll end up trying to do your own moulds or paying somebody extra to do them

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='200191' date='May 16 2008, 09:56 AM']i'm coming to that conclusion - there's no benefit to buying online, especially as i think you'll end up trying to do your own moulds or paying somebody extra to do them[/quote]

Is it not easy to do your own - or get a friend to do it?

hearyourself.com offer money back if you don't like the fit.

[quote name='bremen' post='200182' date='May 16 2008, 09:43 AM'][url="http://www.hearyourself.com/"]http://www.hearyourself.com/[/url]

Has anyone here used them?

They do plugs to suit third party transducers, seems a good idea.[/quote]
I don't think that "doing it yourself" is a good idea at all. Firstly you have to put a foam block far enough into your ear canal to be effective. Not far enough and the plugs won't work as well, too far and you might damage your ear drum! What if you have a build up of wax that needs to be sorted out first?
I think that "third party transducers" is just a gimmick. Get the proper thing fitted by the proper people, first time. Yes it's expensive but, lately, I've noticed a lot of musicians straining to hear a conversation!
IMO, this is not the place to start cutting corners.

[quote name='chris_b' post='200234' date='May 16 2008, 10:35 AM']I don't think that "doing it yourself" is a good idea at all. Firstly you have to put a foam block far enough into your ear canal to be effective. Not far enough and the plugs won't work as well, too far and you might damage your ear drum! What if you have a build up of wax that needs to be sorted out first?
I think that "third party transducers" is just a gimmick. Get the proper thing fitted by the proper people, first time. Yes it's expensive but, lately, I've noticed a lot of musicians straining to hear a conversation!
IMO, this is not the place to start cutting corners.[/quote]

I tend to agree, though I have a friend who's had the mould done professionally and he's not entirely happy with the fit. I liked the idea of a 90 day 'money back if it don't fit'.

[quote name='bremen' post='200210' date='May 16 2008, 10:12 AM']Is it not easy to do your own - or get a friend to do it?

hearyourself.com offer money back if you don't like the fit.[/quote]

no! And I don't have a friend that I think I would trust to do it for me either!
I once got a Q-Zone earplug stuck in my ear that I first tried to extract with a pair of pliers (don't ask) and then successfully with a very small pair of tweezers. I thought a trip to A&E was on the cards that evening. I would rather go to somebody who knew what they were doing!

[quote name='bremen' post='200253' date='May 16 2008, 10:48 AM']....I have a friend who's had the mould done professionally and he's not entirely happy with the fit....[/quote]
For the price of these things, I'd expect to take them back and get them fixed if they weren't right!!

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='197315' date='May 12 2008, 05:12 PM']right - where's the cheapest place a tight arse like me can get a set of moulded ER-15s? I don't really fancy doing my own impressions, so anywhere I can get the impressions done in the price is good and also anybody that will colour them gratis as well is always a winner

looked at sensorcom, audiorelief and hearingprotection so far[/quote]

[url="http://www.blueplug.co.uk/"]http://www.blueplug.co.uk/[/url]

and the er15's are well worth investing in - wouldn't be without mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Before we went completely to In Ear Monitoring, i used the Alpine Hearsafes. They were good so far.
No I use Ultimate Ears UE5 Pro In Ear Earphones and I never ever would go without In ear monitoring...

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='197315' date='May 12 2008, 05:12 PM']right - where's the cheapest place a tight arse like me can get a set of moulded ER-15s? I don't really fancy doing my own impressions, so anywhere I can get the impressions done in the price is good and also anybody that will colour them gratis as well is always a winner

looked at sensorcom, audiorelief and hearingprotection so far[/quote]

Got mine at our local Specsavers - really impressed with the service... can definitely recommend them.

• 3 months later...

recently joined a band with a drummer that plays the snare with the heavey end of the stick and the two guitarists that Qoute " dont turn up too loud".
sufered severe ear damage boys bit scared of going to docs and im a stonemason so use grinders all day!!!!Just had some moulded ear plugs and ther are the absolute nuts
I WISHED I DONE IT YEARS AGO>
the BEST Instrument ive ever bought as without my ears im Fu-----!.
Yeah the band take the piss but i dont care .
Dont but a new bass or a cab get ear plugs made, (tried the yellow ones and er20s and the moulded ones jst blow them all way!!!!!!!
good luck.

• 1 month later...

I've been using the ER20's (£13 from Specsavers) for a while now and never had any problems with them except they made the on-stage mix sound quite boomy. Recently I started to suffer a little itching in my ears when I was wearing them so i took the plunge and had some ER15's custom made.

WOW, what a difference!!! They're sooo comfy and the sound reduction is so even across the whole range. Best £160 I've ever spent, no question.