Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

used my new ACS pro17's at practice last night, bloody hell, what a difference from my Alpine musicsafe pro's, really quiet, I felt a bit detached to be honest, does this get better or should I be going for the pro15 filters? trouble is I already suffer from hearing loss at 4K Hz and the 17's are seem to be the only 'flat' ones they do

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1432801971' post='2785043']
used my new ACS pro17's at practice last night, bloody hell, what a difference from my Alpine musicsafe pro's, really quiet, I felt a bit detached to be honest, does this get better or should I be going for the pro15 filters? trouble is I already suffer from hearing loss at 4K Hz and the 17's are seem to be the only 'flat' ones they do
[/quote]
The feeling of detachment is to be expected when you first start using proper (by that I mean custom fit) is to be expected. After a few weeks of regular use it becomes a non issue. Congrats on an excellent investment.

did my first gig with the ACS pro17's at the weekend, horrible, it was so quiet, kept thinking my amp had packed up and couldn't hear the guitarist at all, I've just sent them back to have PRO10 filters put in them, I don't want my hearing wrecking any more than it is at the moment but I also want to enjoy playing in a band, it's got to be reasonable loud, hasn't it?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1433251835' post='2789397']
Maybe you would be better off with in ears if you still want a bit of presence?
[/quote]I have thought about it but it's way too much trouble setting it all up, we only use a PA for vocals

I have had Elacin ER25s for a few weeks now, I wish I had have got them years ago.
I wear them as a player and as a punter.
Everything was always too loud for me before, even when wearing Alpine 15s, I used to stand at the back or behind walls/columns when watching bands.
Now I hear everything, just at a lot lower level. A bit like standing outside.
Funny that it never bothered the mates I was with.

I use [url="http://www.thunderplugs.nl/?___store=en"]these[/url], both at gigs and when using noisy machinery at work. I always have them on my keyring in their little case. They work well and it's dead handy!

I previously used Pro Guard PR20s which were also very good value.

Edited by D.I. Joe

• 2 weeks later...

had the filters changed in my ACS's to pro 10's and they still cut our to much treble, (I do have bad hearing loss around the 4K - 6K Hz range), on the last gig I had an ACS in my left ear, next to the drummer and the ear with tinitus, and generic ACS in my other ear, seemed to work quite well, but knowing what I know now I'm not sure I'd have spent £125 on them TBH

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1433251115' post='2789384']
did my first gig with the ACS pro17's at the weekend, horrible, it was so quiet, kept thinking my amp had packed up and couldn't hear the guitarist at all, I've just sent them back to have PRO10 filters put in them, I don't want my hearing wrecking any more than it is at the moment but I also want to enjoy playing in a band, it's got to be reasonable loud, hasn't it?
[/quote]
Most of the time I find the 17's are great and I also use them when going to see live bands too. I could actually probably do with a couple more different strength filters either side of 17db. Sometimes the 17's could do with being a bit stronger for when we have a louder on-stage sound or the drum monitors are a far too loud. For some gigs where I need ear plugs the 17's are a bit strong and it leaves me a bit detached from the music. Anyone know any place to get extra filters a fair bit cheaper than ACS charge?

Edited by jazzyvee

• 1 month later...

Of course, each man to himself! The Pro 10's will still offer protection just 10 DB's worth. Maybe your hearing was pretty poor to start?? They normally do a hearing test when you go for the moulds, was it good or bad? My ACS really enhance the bass end but my guitarist is very loud, hence the drummer plays harder. I clearly remember a point where before I got my ACS there was a song section that made me feel sick from crash cymbals and guitar freq's, it was a point that made me do something to protect my hearing. Good luck with the 10's hope you get on ok, you might be able to sell the filters for the 17's.

• 1 month later...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I ´ve been using Elacin ER15s for a few months now, and i found them great. Great protections, sound precision, and confort. I tried a few budget options before but could never play with them as i couldn´t clearly understand the notes that were beeing played. That´s specially important when the music your band creates is partialy based on jaming.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Before i was using the elacins my hears ringed alot after every reharsal. I play with a very loud drummer, and that pushes the overall sound to unhealthy noise levels. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Now i have no problem with that. The only complain if it can called that way, is that i find it a bit harder to talk to the band mates in between songs. [/font][/color]

I had a new set of those made last year from a stand a LBGS. I lost them within 6 months and about 3 months back I had a new set made. Would you believe it i found the original set. The little case they were in had somehow lodged itself into the pack of spare strings I keep in my gig back pocket which is why I never found them for looking.

I guess it's good to have a spare.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1434484379' post='2800120']
had the filters changed in my ACS's to pro 10's and they still cut our to much treble, (I do have bad hearing loss around the 4K - 6K Hz range), on the last gig I had an ACS in my left ear, next to the drummer and the ear with tinitus, and generic ACS in my other ear, seemed to work quite well, but knowing what I know now I'm not sure I'd have spent £125 on them TBH
[/quote]

Have you tried putting your plugs in about 15 or 20 minutes BEFORE you start playing. I found that often helps as it gives the brain some time to get used to the changed set of frequencies it's getting and re-normalise your hearing for having the plugs in. Lessens the psychological effect of wearing the plugs and means that your ears aren't adjusting while you are playing but beforehand.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1434484379' post='2800120']
had the filters changed in my ACS's to pro 10's and they still cut our to much treble,
[/quote]

I use the ACS ER15's and I can hear everything.

The treble is reduced but it's no problem for me to hear everything comfortably from stage whispers to flat out guitar and/or drum solos.

Sure the sound is different and you hear less, but you hear even less when you're deaf.

I saved what was left of my hearing when I started using these plugs, about 8 years ago, and I wouldn't/couldn't gig any more without them.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1443728540' post='2877286']
Have you tried putting your plugs in about 15 or 20 minutes BEFORE you start playing. I found that often helps as it gives the brain some time to get used to the changed set of frequencies it's getting and re-normalise your hearing for having the plugs in. Lessens the psychological effect of wearing the plugs and means that your ears aren't adjusting while you are playing but beforehand.
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1443742416' post='2877425']
I use the ACS ER15's and I can hear everything.

The treble is reduced but it's no problem for me to hear everything comfortably from stage whispers to flat out guitar and/or drum solos.

Sure the sound is different and you hear less, but you hear even less when you're deaf.

I saved what was left of my hearing when I started using these plugs, about 8 years ago, and I wouldn't/couldn't gig any more without them.
[/quote]If I put them in 20 minutes before we started playing I wouldn't be able to hear what anybody was saying to me, but I will try it, maybe it's because I already suffer hearing loss but if I use both ear plugs the feeling of detachment completely ruins the atmosphere of playing live.
I'm not saying they're not working for some people but they do create problems and this should be taken into consideration before paying over £100 for them.
Having said that I don't regret getting them now because my tinnitus is a lot better since I started using them in my ear with tinnitus

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1443743483' post='2877427']

If I put them in 20 minutes before we started playing I wouldn't be able to hear what anybody was saying to me, but I will try it, maybe it's because I already suffer hearing loss but if I use both ear plugs the feeling of detachment completely ruins the atmosphere of playing live.
I'm not saying they're not working for some people but they do create problems and this should be taken into consideration before paying over £100 for them.
Having said that I don't regret getting them now because my tinnitus is a lot better since I started using them in my ear with tinnitus
[/quote]

Well, that's quite true, you do come over a slightly mutt n Jeff for those 20 mins but it's a compromise to assist how things feel when you do start playing.

The other thing I wonder too is whether there's a bit of that "I practice sitting down so when I stand up to play everything feels a bit funny" going on with feelings of detachment when you start using plugs. The more you use them and battle through the initial odd feelings the sooner that sound becomes the norm and you stop feeling detached. Putting the plugs I nearly helps with this too.

Anyway, that's how it worked out for me, others may find different.

And, yes, Chris B's last comment sounds spot on to me too...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1443744383' post='2877429']
If I'm reading this right, you've got one bad ear and one good ear and you're not putting an earplug in the good ear?

That's dangerous. You're potentially heading in the direction of 2 bad ears.
[/quote]no I use a generic Alpine in my good ear which, depending how loud things are, I decide how far to put into my ear, I should also add that being a lefty I always stand with my left ear (the bad one) towards the drummer.
Both ears are about the same in terms of hearing loss but I only get tinnitus in my left ear, which, incidental was a result of industrial noise, not playing in a band, as is the hearing loss, according to the audiologist anyway