Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

[quote name='chardbass' post='40923' date='Aug 3 2007, 03:01 PM']...and a tenner for the cord so I could look like Larry Grayson between sets)[/quote]

I put mine in before I go into the venue if the soundcheck has already started and certainly before anyone hits any snare drums or starts ringing out PAs and then don't take them out until I'm loading the car at the end of the night. Sometimes even drive home with them in, possibly disturbing the neighbours when I arrive and the subwoofer is going some!

Alex

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='40920' date='Aug 3 2007, 02:53 PM']The custom moulded plugs... anyone know who/where they are done at a cost of less than £160?

I know my hearing is worth that but I'm sure I've seen moulds being made at Game Fair trade stands (shooting type game fair NOT Warhammer, D&D etc) for £60-£70![/quote]
Ear plugs for shooting are designed to stop sudden reports (shots), not long loud sounds, like loud music.

Chardbass, 99ster, Alex.... you are right. I have some ACS moulded plugs and they are the best investment I've made in the music business since I brought my first bass. OK, they cost £160 (only a couple of gigs!) and I know there are cheaper alternatives, but they are good and they work without destroying the sound they are protecting you from.

[quote name='99ster' post='40926' date='Aug 3 2007, 03:05 PM']Yes - you can buy different interchangeable filters - so you can change from a '15' for rehearsals - to a 20 (or 25) when playing live. Which was what I've been advised to do - & these proper filters alone are around £70-ish.

[b]Sorry - I just can't understand why anyone in their right mind would be looking for a 'budget' option for this!!![/b]
:)[/quote]

Who said anything about budget option? I was simply asking the question to ascertain if this was the standard price, as I stated, I'd seen them being moulded for a lot less at Game Fairs. As has been pointed out, what I have obviously seen is an alternative form of ear protection that doesn't filter but simply blocks sound.

I've been an advocate of hearing protection for years and apart from band members and friends in bands I have advised mates with motorbikes about the benefit of protection.

I'm in the position where I can take a step up from budget hearing protection (from £10-£20 Docs ear plugs) and invest in custom protection, I was clarifying that £160 is the going rate. After all that is one of the major benefits of being a forum member... we share info.

• 4 weeks later...

Just looking at these:.. Sibob mentioned them. How did you go about getting the right size? Thought I'd try them I normally use ER20's but they're a little uncomfortable.

[url="http://www.brdistribution.co.uk/acatalog/DocsProPlugs.html"]http://www.brdistribution.co.uk/acatalog/DocsProPlugs.html[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this thread I bought some ER20s or whatever they're called from audiorelief.co.uk

Wish I hadn't bothered, as they've backed up all the wax in my ears right up as far as possible so I can now barely hear a thing and I have a gig at 6pm this evening. Incredibly frustrating. I'll give them another try, but these things f***ing feel like they're gonna hurt pulling them out... Don't feel natural.

I have been using Alpine Music Safe ear plugs for a while
[url="http://www.enhancedlistening.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=&P_ID=975"]http://www.enhancedlistening.co.uk/product...D=&P_ID=975[/url]
Came away from a gig one night and my ears were screaming. Borrowed some"Rhubarb and Custard" disposables from the drummer but couldn't get on with them.
I find the Alpines great as they are very soft rubber and fit very comfortably. You get 3 attenuators with them and I find they really do work. They particularly cut out the harmful freqs.
Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Scorchin' post='4307' date='May 22 2007, 12:27 PM']Definately recommend the Etymotic ER-20's, found them cheapest here: [url="http://www.audilo.co.uk/ER20-Hi-Fi-Musician-Earplugs-pr-16138.html"]http://www.audilo.co.uk/ER20-Hi-Fi-Musicia...s-pr-16138.html[/url]

$8.99 and bit more for delivery. Arrived within 3 days.

Scorchin[/quote]

+1, been using them for a while now for rehearsals, its almost like we don't have guitarists :)

I've been using ER20s now for the past couple of months and can't believe the difference. I now can't play without them!

they are awsome - i originally bought them to use when playing in my pub covers band as there is no PA so my cab has to be turned up louder than I would use it when it is being used as a monitor normally. I would come away from gigs with ringing in my ears for at least 3 or 4 days so after 2 gigs I decided enough was enough and paid the grant sum of about a tenner for them.

I now use them for all gigs and practices.

As someone who has Saturday night gig levels of ringing ears on a permanent basis, I can only say that this is a Good Thing To Do. We have here in the shop some MusicSafe Pro plugs. I'm not plugging these, just wondering if any of you have used them. They are sort of similar to ER20s, but have 3 sets of interchangeable attenuator plugs, plus a spare bud, at £17.99.

The only problem I've found with using any sort of plug now my hearing is damaged, is that when using ER20s, I really do find it hard to hear much at all...

Edited by Telebass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='69182' date='Oct 3 2007, 05:53 PM']The moulded plugs work much better. You really do get what you pay for.[/quote]

+1

I picked up my ER15s at the weekend and they're absolutely amazing, used them in rehearsal and they really do seem to have [i]actual[/i] flat attenuation; but for me, they really score big on the comfort factor, I can wear them for hours and just forget they're there..... BRILLIANT!

.... hope I don't manage to lose them anytime soon!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Telebass' post='69124' date='Oct 3 2007, 05:28 PM']The only problem I've found with using any sort of plug now my hearing is damaged, is that when using ER20s, I really do find it hard to hear much at all...[/quote]

I'm also looking for plugs, because we play quite loud music, due to this I simply over-push strings, herewith damaging my finger technique.
I see public likes those ER20s, but I'm interested if I could get "tricks" like this guy's. Simply, I dunno (yet..) if my hearing is damaged too, but due to fact, that I can lift loud, Real loud music with no problems, could this be a sign of it?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='80601' date='Oct 29 2007, 12:15 AM']Do your ears ring after loud music - a sort of high pitched tone? It goes away after a while.

That is hearing damage and one day it wont go away.[/quote]

Nah, there's no such effect for me, but my guitarist complained about this... He must have understood it, but I'll remind him.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='setekh' post='104281' date='Dec 14 2007, 01:06 PM']*rescues the topic from the dead*

well guys, I'm thinking about ordering a pair of these things. just a question though - should I get the Etymotic ER-20 or the Alpine Music Safe Pro?[/quote]

Both are actually quite similar, but I found that the resultant sound you hear is different between the two. To be honest, they are SO DAMN CHEAP in comparison to how much your hearing is worth, you may as well buy both and see what suits you the best, then chuck the others in your case as a spare.

Then in the meatime, save some cash - buy some ER15 / ER 25 moulded plugs.. ;o)

[quote name='setekh' post='104281' date='Dec 14 2007, 01:06 PM']*rescues the topic from the dead*

well guys, I'm thinking about ordering a pair of these things. just a question though - should I get the Etymotic ER-20 or the Alpine Music Safe Pro?[/quote]

I've got both. I find the Alpines to be more comfortable and discreet, but the ER-20's are easier and quicker to put in and take out. As Dood says check them both out.

[quote name='dood' post='104302' date='Dec 14 2007, 01:47 PM']Both are actually quite similar, but I found that the resultant sound you hear is different between the two. To be honest, they are SO DAMN CHEAP in comparison to how much your hearing is worth, you may as well buy both and see what suits you the best, then chuck the others in your case as a spare.

Then in the meatime, save some cash - buy some ER15 / ER 25 moulded plugs.. ;o)[/quote]
TBH, I've been eyeballing a pair of those ER15 or ER25 for myself...but I don't know where to have them molded here in Portugal, and not sure if I'll still have a band in a couple of weeks..but in the long run, I'll most definitely own a pair! :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='104362' date='Dec 14 2007, 04:16 PM']I've got both. I find the Alpines to be more comfortable and discreet, but the ER-20's are easier and quicker to put in and take out. As Dood says check them both out.[/quote]
shoot. I just ordered a pair of ER-20s (they were so darn cheap at €17 with cord and delivered - to Portugal - that I couldn't resist :huh:). I have ordered these with my brother in mind though...I'll try to find retaliers who dont charge a gazillion € (or quid) to have the Alpines delivered.

Thanks both for your help :huh:

Edited by setekh

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='setekh' post='104529' date='Dec 14 2007, 10:15 PM']TBH, I've been eyeballing a pair of those ER15 or ER25 for myself...but I don't know where to have them molded here in Portugal, and not sure if I'll still have a band in a couple of weeks..but in the long run, I'll most definitely own a pair! :)[/quote]

I got my ER-15 from [url="http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/"]here[/url]. They send you the kit and you do the molds yourself (better get someone to help you, though). They're in America and I'm in the UK, so would have thought they'd send to Portugal as well.

I've had mine about a year. Has anyone else noticed them discolouring, even the bit that doesn't actually touch your ear? Happened to the Doc's proplugs I had a few years ago as well. Before you say it: yes, I have very good personal hygiene :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

that's not a bad price, did you have to pay customs duty on them when they turned up sharkfinger? Also what did thay charge for postage?
You could potentially get a set of er-15s with a spare set of filers for more or less attenuation and go and have the moulds taken by a pro place for less that you would pay for a set in the UK. What was the lead time from start to finish?

Does anybody know if specsavers take the moulds as part of the total price?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='122081' date='Jan 17 2008, 11:50 AM']that's not a bad price, did you have to pay customs duty on them when they turned up sharkfinger?[/quote]
If I recall correctly, only paid customs on the finished article and not the mold material they initially sent me. I think they market it as a "sample".

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='122081' date='Jan 17 2008, 11:50 AM']Also what did thay charge for postage?[/quote]
Now that I don't remember, but it was about $50, I think. With the optional cord and shipping, the whole thing came to $175, plus customs and (mis)handling by ParcelfArce. The whole thing came to about £120, give or take a tenner. I think the price has gone up since 2006, though, so expect to pay a bit more. The whole process took 4-6 weeks.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='122081' date='Jan 17 2008, 11:50 AM']You could potentially get a set of er-15s with a spare set of filers for more or less attenuation[/quote]
They offer the ability to purchase extra filters, singly or in pairs.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='122081' date='Jan 17 2008, 11:50 AM']have the moulds taken by a pro place for less that you would pay for a set in the UK. What was the lead time from start to finish?

Does anybody know if specsavers take the moulds as part of the total price?[/quote]
That I really couldn't say.

They were very helpful, though. Send them an email. Here's the exact URL of the Musician's Earplugs [url="http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/er915and25pr.html"]http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/er915and25pr.html[/url],

Edited by Sharkfinger