Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1366643267' post='2055345']
I've got the chords on mine.

When anyone asks I just tell them I'm listening to Radio 4.
[/quote]

Hehehe, done that myself!

'Dave, Dave, DAVE!!'

*Removes earplugs*

'What? I was just listening to something else...'

'...?'

I'm using these at the moment [url="http://www.proguarduk.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46"]http://www.proguarduk.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46[/url]

[quote name='DrGonzo' timestamp='1180744162' post='10872']
For those on a budget, you may be interested to know that I managed to blag a set of filtered moulds from the NHS...

Had an ear infection, went for a hearing test because I said I was a musician and sound engineer, blagged it!
[/quote]

Might give this a go myself!

Just received my ACS moulded Pro 20's and tried them out at rehearsal last night and I'm not sure they fit right. The left ear in particular feels a bit weird. It feel like there is a vacuum in the ear and when I sing I can hear it more in my head than through my ears. Hope that makes sense?

Because I've never used them before I'm not really sure how they are meant to feel in rehearsal/gig situation. Can anyone shed some light onto this please?

Cheers
Keith

[quote name='butlerk02' timestamp='1367396399' post='2064980']
Just received my ACS moulded Pro 20's and tried them out at rehearsal last night and I'm not sure they fit right. The left ear in particular feels a bit weird. It feel like there is a vacuum in the ear and when I sing I can hear it more in my head than through my ears. Hope that makes sense?

Because I've never used them before I'm not really sure how they are meant to feel in rehearsal/gig situation. Can anyone shed some light onto this please?

Cheers
Keith
[/quote]

Not sure about the vacuum thing, but singing with them in, I would expect you to hear more in your head. TBH I'm not sure they would be ideal if you're singing for that reason, as well as the fact that your jaw moving so much might compromise the seal.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1367400840' post='2065055']
Not sure about the vacuum thing, but singing with them in, I would expect you to hear more in your head. TBH I'm not sure they would be ideal if you're singing for that reason, as well as the fact that your jaw moving so much might compromise the seal.
[/quote]

I think the earplugs are suppose to eliminate the occlusion effect and are meant to be suitable for singers.

Do you have molded plugs yourself bud?

Yes, ACS moulded pro 15s. I don't sing with them in, but do still hear my voice in my head (I've just tried it) although it's not at all boomy, which I believe is what ACS aim to eliminate.

Re. Jaw movement, look at the link, the ear canal was shown to change up to 25% with jaw movement! Common sense would dictate to me that this may have a detrimental effect on a custom moulded earplug.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1487108

ACS say that they alleviate the occlusion effect by ensuring the sound doesn't hit the cartilage in the ear canal. If the seal is compromised, then this may not work. So your two issues might be related.

All speculation in true forum style, but hopefully food for thought :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

• 1 month later...

Really pleased with my Pro17's from ACS Custom.Only gigged with them once, but they are much better than my old er15'S.

They fit a lot deeper in the ear, and the extra 2db reduction makes a huge difference.

Money well spent and will hopefully help to ward of deafness for a few more years :)

[quote name='markbunney' timestamp='1370882190' post='2106836']
Really pleased with my Pro17's from ACS Custom.Only gigged with them once, but they are much better than my old er15'S.

They fit a lot deeper in the ear, and the extra 2db reduction makes a huge difference.

Money well spent and will hopefully help to ward of deafness for a few more years :)
[/quote]

Congrats. You have just purchased the best piece of kit on the market IMO.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='MaGrOtTeN' timestamp='1391700753' post='2360373']
These are cheap and so effective - no excuses!

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Howard-Leight-Leightning-Folding-Earmuff/dp/B001BL04PS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1391700665&sr=8-7&keywords=ear+defenders"]http://www.amazon.co...s=ear+defenders[/url]

[/quote]

The rest of the guys in the band already think I'm weird, if I turn up with a pair of those they might not let me in....

• 1 month later...

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1370905661' post='2107414']

Congrats. You have just purchased the best piece of kit on the market IMO.
[/quote]

I'm in the market for molded hearing protection and the ACS Pro-17 looks right for me - loud 4-piece rock and pop covers band, though not as loud as my old five piece death metal band.

The above comments are encouraging - any other users agree/disagree?

• 2 weeks later...

Joined a new band last week and the first practice set my ears ringing from tuesday night until some point over the weekend. Didn't fancy that again, so ordered some universal plugs as a temporary measure - [url="http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=164&Itemid=310"]ACS Pacato[/url] - and made an appointment to get some impressions made.

This week's practice with the Pacatos in was much more enjoyable & no ringing whatsoever (although the drummer, who wore proplugs both weeks reckoned that things weren't as loud this time around)

I got the impressions taken today and now I'm trying to work out which moulded ones to go for. The audiologist advised the ACS PRO-27, but that looked to be based on a cursory sweep of their website and going for the ones with the most protection. Can't fault her for that, I suppose - but I figured I should check on here and see if anyone had gone for the higher rated ones and then wished they'd gone for less extreme ones?

My ACS [b][font="Optima, Lucida, MgOpen Cosmetica, Lucida Sans Unicode, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#555555"]PRO-17, arrived yesterday but I don't have a gig till the 12th so I will be able to check them out. From what I see on the web site the Pro-27 filters are not interchangeable so you won't be able to get lower rated filters if you find it too quiet. I'm planning to use mine also when I'm attending loud gigs so I may by another set of filters with more attenuation as gigs I attend seem to be louder than the ones I'm playing at.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font="Optima, Lucida, MgOpen Cosmetica, Lucida Sans Unicode, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#555555"]Jazzyvee[/color][/size][/font][/b]

• 1 month later...

I went for the pro 17 in the end on the recommendation of the guy at ACS. Had them a couple of weeks and finding them hard to fault.... On the couple of occasions I've been struggling to hear something through them and taken them out.... Always found things were no clearer with them out.... Just lots louder!

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1396559073' post='2415189']
My ACS [b][font=Optima, Lucida, MgOpen Cosmetica, Lucida Sans Unicode, sans-serif][size=2][color=#555555]PRO-17, arrived yesterday but I don't have a gig till the 12th so I will be able to check them out. From what I see on the web site the Pro-27 filters are not interchangeable so you won't be able to get lower rated filters if you find it too quiet. I'm planning to use mine also when I'm attending loud gigs so I may by another set of filters with more attenuation as gigs I attend seem to be louder than the ones I'm playing at.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Optima, Lucida, MgOpen Cosmetica, Lucida Sans Unicode, sans-serif][size=2][color=#555555]Jazzyvee[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[/quote]

[font=Optima, Lucida,]Please Note: You are able to exchange the attenuating filters on your PRO and ER Series earplugs within 30 days of purchase, giving you the option to receive the ideal amount of hearing protection for your environment.[/font]

Edited by Happy Jack

being completely deaf in one ear, I used an ACS pro for a while as i was concerned obviously about my "good" ear. TBH i never liked them as i thought they cut out fat too much detail especially when gigging in front of the punters. Now however as we have gone over to IEM's I can get a great mix at a comfortable volume as they seal out any onstage racket whilst letting me hear what I want to hear, so for me ear protection is sorted as well as monitoring, can't really see the need for ear protectors as such TBH.

Thats very true, however we use "hard" IEM's, ie no battery packs but it does involve an extra cable to a belt pack. For 3 of us with the rack mounted 4 channel headphone amp, leads, belt packs and headphones it came to under £300 total.
I'm sure its the bottom of the IEM quality table but they were still a marked improvement on the rubbish wedges we used to lug around, and would probably be improved again with a headphone upgrade. The ACS moulded ear protectors costs near that for one person so I still maintain its the way to go!
http://www.thomann.de/gb/samson_sphone.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fischer_amps_mini_bodypack_mit_lsregler.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd_381.htm