Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='1242959' date='May 24 2011, 01:59 PM']Just been to specsavers for a free hearing test after reading what everyone put on here.

I've been playing about 15 years, not at excessive volumes but certainly amplified :) and I've got some moderate hearing damage at higher frequencies.

Ordered a pair of the molded ear defenders. The filters are er9 or er15, I can't remember! Since I sing quite a lot in the band as well as play bass, apparently they're good for that.

£129 well spent in my opinion. That is if they work![/quote]

Me too, but at Boots. I've lost some higher frequencies in my left ear - funnily enough the side facing my drummer/his cymbals! :lol:

Ordered some new ACS Pro-17's for about the same cost. Should be here within a couple of weeks :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='1242959' date='May 24 2011, 01:59 PM']Just been to specsavers for a free hearing test after reading what everyone put on here.

I've been playing about 15 years, not at excessive volumes but certainly amplified :) and I've got some moderate hearing damage at higher frequencies.

Ordered a pair of the molded ear defenders. The filters are er9 or er15, I can't remember! Since I sing quite a lot in the band as well as play bass, apparently they're good for that.

£129 well spent in my opinion. That is if they work![/quote]

The ear defenders arrived in a tasteful off white colour. I've tried them at a practice and they take a bit of getting used to but are fine once you use them a bit.

I found them a bit sore after wearing them for a couple of hours though.

I've got my first gig with them this weekend so I'll report back on how it goes.

I tried some ER20s for the first time this week at a practice. Very good! I could still pick out enough from the general loudness of what's being played to be able to do my job as a bass player, and they were still comfortable after several hours of use. Yes, the little stalk things are funny, but I don't really care about anyone who wants to stare at my ears during a gig. My good looks/ugliness should be enough of a distraction :)

i have the ASC -15db filters after i exchanged them from the -17db filters which i didnt like. However the -15db filters were designed for solo singers or classical instumentalists and to be honest theyt're even worse, so im going back to the -17db filters. They're fine for rehersals but you loose the sheer oomph when you're gigging.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1288294' date='Jun 30 2011, 10:11 PM']i have the ASC -15db filters after i exchanged them from the -17db filters which i didnt like. However the -15db filters were designed for solo singers or classical instumentalists and to be honest theyt're even worse, so im going back to the -17db filters. They're fine for rehersals but you loose the sheer oomph when you're gigging.[/quote]

For sure, but its the oomph that causes hearing loss and tinnitus (I have both and its not worth it) i have been using ASC plugs for a number of years and am satisfied. Once you get used of them you will never gig without them

[quote name='leroydiamond' post='1323957' date='Aug 2 2011, 10:43 AM']....but its the oomph that causes hearing loss and tinnitus (I have both and its not worth it)....[/quote]
+1

Using plugs is never the same as not using them. They do interfere with the sound but that's how they do their job. In my opinion ACS interfere the least which is why I think they are the best.

Most of the guys I play with are over 40 and loud! Most of the drummers are now using plugs and all of the guitarists aren't and they are the guys who struggle to hear anything when there is background music or noise.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1179833985' post='4321']
Your ears hurt or ring after playing loud music.... you have just suffered ear damage and have lost some of your hearing ability. If you continue you will accumulate more damage until you hearing is severely impaired. This is fact.

Protect yourself. Do it properly, don't skimp; don't think your doing a good job by saving pennies. I have had to start looking for a better solution than foam plugs and I have found it. Check out Advanced Communication Solutions on the web, www.hearingprotection.co.uk. .

These moulded plugs are approx £160 but they cut db across the whole range. They are expensive but they are good, they work and they protect you. You have to get used to the feel of plugs in your ears and the other band members will take the piss, but you might not be able to play in a band in a few years time if you do not do this properly.
[/quote]

Yep, it happened to me. Wear the er15's at mo. still getting used to them, you can change the filters and also add monitor modules to the moulds.

Edited by tonyclaret

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1323982541' post='1469585']
Just to add my ten pence worth, I just got a pair of Etymotic ER20's for less than a tenner and they're fantastic. Takes all frequencies down to a safe level and the standard fit are absolutely perfect. I'd recommend them to anyone. Lovely plugs.
[/quote]

I could not recommend standard plugs. No two ear canals are the exact shape and hence the only safe solution are moulded plugs. (I have been using ACS and am very satisfied.

Had some er15's moulded up and as said before they are fantastic, highly recommended. My only issue I have is sometimes I do feel a bit cut off from everything and can struggle to hear the bass and get the same feeling to my playing. Not sure if I should try the 9db filters in them and see if it makes a difference or not.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Ear plugs will always give you some feeling of being “cut off”. That’s their job. But I find my ER15's emphasis the bass![/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]How loud do you play?[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]15's are good for me and are effective from a whisper to very loud. 9's would not give me enough protection. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font="Times New Roman"][color="#000000"] [/color][/font][/size]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='monkeynuts' timestamp='1326023857' post='1491088']
Had some er15's moulded up and as said before they are fantastic, highly recommended. My only issue I have is sometimes I do feel a bit cut off from everything and can struggle to hear the bass and get the same feeling to my playing. Not sure if I should try the 9db filters in them and see if it makes a difference or not.
[/quote]

Same although some top end seems to be lost more with me I.e. cymbals.

• 1 month later...

Just an update for anyone else who may be reading this and thinking of getting some.

My initial problems with hearing the bass and not having the same feel seem to have now disapeared through perservering with them. Maybe I just didnt give myself enough time to adjust to them at first.

I now don't go anywhere without them and like some have said before I actually think they improve the sound you hear.

• 1 month later...

There is an adage among motorcyclists: The price of your helmet should be directly proportional to the value you place on your head. I think the same adage applies to one's hearing protection, as well. I know this can get very expensive, but I wish I had gotten my ER15's BEFORE both my ears started squealing 24/7! Now, all I can do is try to save what hearing I have left. For rehearsals, I use the ER15 earplugs (and I'm considering getting the 25dB filters). At shows, I use Jerry Harvey JH16 In-ear Monitors. Quite expensive, but TOTALLY worth every cent! I do find that the earplugs separate me from the fun, somewhat, but that adds a little challenge in the rehearsal that disappears at the show because the monitors put the whole band right in my head, which connects me to the music like never before!

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1302157505' post='1191350']
So i ordered my er-20s through mp3 company online, went to get impressions done but my ears were too blocked! Got them syringed, and asked the nurse if ok for imprezsions to be taken, and got a resounding 'yes!' . Back to the audiologist, and theyre too blocked again! 65%! Going for another syringe but now im nervous they wont as you can see my eardrum and theres increased risk of perferation! Anyone else had this problem?

Got som 20s to tide me over, and may not even get a full refund cause of the audiologist appointments that lasted all of 90 seconds! Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!
[/quote]

Just had mine syringed and they are supposed to be as clear as they can be...arranging for impressions this week so need to keep ears clear with olive oil.

I couldn't believe what stuff came out though.... no wonder I couldn't hear much...!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 for ER20s, sometimes they take a bit of a wiggle to get a good fit but other than that they're fine. I like the idea of swapping the filters out for headphone adapters though - going to get a set of molded plugs as soon as finances allow....

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using the ER-20s for quite a while and they're great. No problems hearing the bass, but I found that you get an annoying occlusion effect while singing (the booming sound, as if you were underwater) and my voice ends up drowning all other sounds. Are the ER-15s noticeably better than the ER-20s in terms of occlusion?

I also found the [url="http://www.acscustom.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105&Itemid=52"]ACS Pro-17s[/url], which are supposed to prevent occlusion. Has anyone tried both the ER-15's and the ACS Pro-17s? How do they compare? I'm wondering if they do really work or if it's just a gimmick.

• 2 months later...