Why become a member? ×

Case/gigbag for cycling with?

harmonicfish

Wondering if anyone else has any experience with this.

Rather than spend my money on taxis/parking, most of it ends up going on gear, and so I end up cycling to gigs/practices instead :rolleyes: Currently I use a really cheap gigbag, and I'm not at all confident in it's ability to protect the contents from a falling leaf, let alone anything else.

I need something tougher that can still be worn whilst cycling. Semi-hard/polyfoam/casebag/whatever-you-want-to-call-them cases look promising, but I've not found much variety locally.

-Tried a TKL Zero Gravity case, but it hung so low that it was bashing against the saddle and even the rear wheel :lol:
-Things like the Incase look nice, but expensive and a pain in the neck to get shipped.
-The tribal planet GSX5 looks promising, but I don't know how well it will work with a bike. Anyone got a photo of the straps on the back? How high/low does it hang?
-Any other hard/semi-hard cases I should be considering?

I find a gigbag on the back is a bit of a nightmare for cycling - I can barely see behind myself and the centre of gravity is a bit high. If I'm nipping across town with a bass guitar, I'll put my gig bag in a rear pannier on one side, with a couple of bungee cords around it. The body fits neatly in to the pannier, with the neck sticking up to somewhere well below shoulder level. Much better visibility and balance.

[quote name='yorick' post='528696' date='Jun 30 2009, 03:21 PM']My advice would be to get a Steinberger Spirit bass that comes with a gigbag and use that.[/quote]
Interesting suggestion. Part of me is tempted, part of me thinks the other half is suffering a GAS relapse :D
The status streamliner also makes for an (expensive) alternative that avoids that 80's look :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='528992' date='Jun 30 2009, 07:21 PM']I'll put my gig bag in a rear pannier on one side, with a couple of bungee cords around it. The body fits neatly in to the pannier, with the neck sticking up to somewhere well below shoulder level. Much better visibility and balance.[/quote]
Attached to one side? Surely that would send you off balance even more?
Besides, the last time I attached anything to a pannier (a bike lock, so not exactly heavy) the pannier detached from the wheel, got tangled in the chain, and I ended up stopping very abruptly whilst attempting to navigate a roundabout :)

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='528689' date='Jun 30 2009, 03:15 PM']The Bass Gallery have an excellent selection, you could give them a call.[/quote]
Yeah, looks like a trip to London might be in order at some point. (Although I might wait until we're not in a heat wave first).

Thanks for the input everyone :lol:

Ive tried cycling with a bass on my back before, I couldn't get the bloody thing comfortable! Low and it bashed my back wheel, high and it stopped me from lifting my head so I was lookin at my handlebars constantly, loose and it slopped around! :rolleyes: good luck, I've taken the option of using a steiny synapse cos I can fit it in a rucksack! :)

Funnily enough my current gigbag avoids too many positioning issues. It only has a single shoulder strap, so it sits diagonally across my back, thus avoiding the wheel. As I say though, it has absolutely no padding. Of course after wearing it like that for more than an hour my shoulder starts to feel like it wants to part ways with my body :rolleyes:

Guitarists get it easy. Still it could be worse. I've seen people cycling with cellos, and apparently one of the local orchestras even had a cycling double bassist at one point :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='528791' date='Jun 30 2009, 04:30 PM']The Warwick ones are pretty good. Decent straps that have a clip connection rather than the usual weak stitching. Good padding too[/quote]

I've had one of those metal clip things break on me before. I always carry that bag by the handle now, I don't trust the remaining strap.

Make sure whatever bag you get is symmetrical- I have a cheapish Ritter bag that looks like its been designed with an offset bodied bass in mind- this means the straps are different lengths and join the bag at different points. I have tried cycling with it, but it always wants to slide to one side or the other.

I used to use a gig bag but pop it in a ruck sack, that way you avoid the problems you mention. If you can get one with a frame even better.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='532778' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:40 AM']I've had one of those metal clip things break on me before. I always carry that bag by the handle now, I don't trust the remaining strap.[/quote]
+ happened to me on Sunday :)