Why become a member? ×

[sfx]

Silent Fly

Hello everybody.

A quick note to let you know that I started my own company: sfx sound.

You can find more details of what we do on the web site: [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk"]www.sfxsound.co.uk[/url]

There is also a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=74"]forum here[/url] where you can ask questions or post comments.

Special offer for BC members [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53195"]here[/url]!

All the best,
Max
[sfx]

Edited by Silent Fly

Love the site, not sure my modded bad monkey is ever leaving my board, i got to use a stock one recently and there's just no comparison for bass, yours is miles ahead. That oc-2 mod sounds very interesting too, any idea when you're gonna start doing those?

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='528404' date='Jun 30 2009, 10:19 AM']Love the site, not sure my modded bad monkey is ever leaving my board, i got to use a stock one recently and there's just no comparison for bass, yours is miles ahead. That oc-2 mod sounds very interesting too, any idea when you're gonna start doing those?[/quote]

Thanks for your kind words bobbass4k. I am glad you like the [sfx] mods of the Bad Monkey.

Regarding the OC-2, I am working on the true-bypass side at the moment. I implemented it on an MT-2 and it works great but I need to do some work on the OC-2 before make it available to customers. It is quite complex. It requires an extra PCB, special switches, a mod to the main board and complete rewiring of the in/out.

The frequency extension for the OC-2 is something I can already do for you if you are interested. Please send me an email (you can find the address on the web site under "How to order").

[quote name='~tl' post='528441' date='Jun 30 2009, 10:59 AM']Looks good! Do you DI boxes support +48V phantom powering? Batteries/separate power supplies are a pain :)[/quote]

The D1 and the m:D2 do not support phantom power. The D1 can run on batteries but we recommend to use an external PSU (any Boss-type PSU would work fine).

There is a technical reason for that. Essentially, the standard 48V phantom power cannot deliver enough current for the sound and headroom we want to achieve. XLR phantom power is a great thing but it was design to power microphones. I respect other companies that decide to use it for other, more current-demanding, devices but I prefer a more solid power supply.

I may decide to design a phantom-powered version of the D1 but the m:D2 will never be phantom powered.

I agree, external PSU are a little bit of a pain but I prefer no compromise on sound quality. On the other side, all [sfx] devices run with standard 9V PSUs even if internally they run at higher voltage.

Edited by Silent Fly

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='528610' date='Jun 30 2009, 01:46 PM']Interested in the OC-2 mod - can you also mod it so that a solo -1 Oct is as loud as the dry signal?[/quote]
I am not entirely sure I understand. It should be possible set the dry signal (aka "Direct Level") as loud as the -1 Oct (aka “OCT 1”) with the stock OC-2. Are you referring to the bypassed signal vs the -1 Oct?

Either way it shouldn't be a problem. Please send me an email. I’ll be happy to discuss this with you. You can find the address on the [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk"]web site[/url] under "How to order".

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='528633' date='Jun 30 2009, 02:10 PM']Another OC-2 question: I'd like some mods, but the footswitch on mine is a bit unreliable. Could you fix that at the same time? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yes - no problem.

I had the same problem with my OC-2 :)

If I max -1 Oct and turn the other knobs all the way off to solo the octave for a keyboard synth sound, it's nowhere near as loud as the regular bypass signal (at least on the one I had). I'd like to be able to turn it up so that the solo octave could be even louder than the normal signal at full crank!

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='528618' date='Jun 30 2009, 01:56 PM']I am not entirely sure I understand. It should be possible set the dry signal (aka "Direct Level") as loud as the -1 Oct (aka “OCT 1”) with the stock OC-2. Are you referring to the bypassed signal vs the -1 Oct?[/quote]

I assume he means that the oct1 volume is lower than the direct signal, even on the same settings, if you run it with oct1 volume at max and direct signal at min the signal is noticeaby quieter, I'd be interested in fixing this aswell, presumably it's just a result of the synthesizing they use to generate the octaves

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='528650' date='Jun 30 2009, 02:29 PM']I assume he means that the oct1 volume is lower than the direct signal, even on the same settings, if you run it with oct1 volume at max and direct signal at min the signal is noticeaby quieter, I'd be interested in fixing this aswell, presumably it's just a result of the synthesizing they use to generate the octaves[/quote]

Ok I think I understand now. By "direct signal" I though you were referring to the sound controlled by the "DIRECT LEVEL" knob not to the bypass sound.

I just measured the output of the OC-2. The OCT1 signal is actually around 3dB lower than the bypass signal. I never noticed it...

I need to think about it but I'm fairly sure I can mod the pedal to address this.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='528712' date='Jun 30 2009, 03:29 PM']Looks to be some nice looking kit there!

All the best with it all! Gonna check out the avalon comparison when I get home and can get my proper headphones out![/quote]

Please do let me know what you think about it – I hope you haven’t clicked the answer link yet :).

If you want feedback...

I looked at the site, and it looks great, as does the gear. However, I have no idea what the m:system is. Is this me being stupid? I've read about the features of the m:system, but have no idea what it is or what it does!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='528761' date='Jun 30 2009, 04:07 PM']If you want feedback...

I looked at the site, and it looks great, as does the gear. However, I have no idea what the m:system is. Is this me being stupid? I've read about the features of the m:system, but have no idea what it is or what it does![/quote]

me neither, i just assumed it was some sort of rewire system. was trying to figure it out but then i cba...looks cool, whatever it is.

the rest of the site/stuff looks great. :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='528761' date='Jun 30 2009, 04:07 PM']If you want feedback...

I looked at the site, and it looks great, as does the gear. However, I have no idea what the m:system is.[/quote]

TBH I think the whole letter-colon naming scheme isn't going to do you any favours generally. It's a bit confusing, given that the names aren't distinct from eachother. Might be better to give your products some character rather than an initial. Not that I'm advocating ridiculous names either, it's just that single letters aren't that emotive for most people.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='529253' date='Jul 1 2009, 12:05 AM']TBH I think the whole letter-colon naming scheme isn't going to do you any favours generally. It's a bit confusing, given that the names aren't distinct from eachother. Might be better to give your products some character rather than an initial. Not that I'm advocating ridiculous names either, it's just that single letters aren't that emotive for most people.[/quote]

Thanks for your comment thisnameistaken.

It would be a little bit tricky change the documentation and the web site now that the names have been defined but it is something I will consider in the future.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='529253' date='Jul 1 2009, 12:05 AM']TBH I think the whole letter-colon naming scheme isn't going to do you any favours generally. It's a bit confusing, given that the names aren't distinct from eachother.[...][/quote]

[quote name='DanOwens' post='529587' date='Jul 1 2009, 01:58 PM']I actually like the naming. Very tech/geek![/quote]

Further evidence that it is impossible make everybody happy :)

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='529769' date='Jul 1 2009, 05:18 PM']Further evidence that it is impossible make everybody happy :rolleyes:[/quote]

:)

Dunno... It's like the Barge Concepts naming scheme - to me it's just confusing, do I want a DVB or a VB or a BV or a VFB or... er... I suppose it's all very well for a couple of products but I think if you added a few more the names would quickly become indistinct.