Why become a member? ×

Who owns Gordy and Gordon Smith basses?

JanSpeeltBas

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='528405' date='Jun 30 2009, 10:23 AM']The Gordon Smith LP has a cult following in the Punk scene, most Punk bands I play with use them.[/quote]

Charlier Harper himself owns a Gordon Smith, so does Nicky Garratt and little old me :)

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='541331' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:37 PM']FOUND ONE..!

Passing by Crack Generator in Trongate in Glasgow this morning, saw this in the window. Asking price is £199.99... Looked old but cared for; hardware a bit tarnished but no visible damage, though I didn't have the time to stop and check her out -

If anyone checks her out let me know, eh..?

KotS[/quote]

one on ebay for £550
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ultra-rare-Gordon-Smith-Gypsy-bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ160347561089QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2555759c81&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1688%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ultra-rare-Gordon-Sm...%3A1%7C294%3A50[/url]

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

Just reading your discussion about Gordon Smith guitars.
I bought a GS Gypsy from Doctor Rock's in Bury, Lancs. over 20 years ago and I've still got it!!
I bought off Keith Hand himself.
It plays and sounds great. I've never had cause to change it.
The individual pick-ups turn so you can alter the tone by lining-up the magnets on either side of the strings or in-line. you can also adjust the height individually as well.
Had a quick look on the Gordon Smith web site but there are no basses listed so I assume they don't make them anymore. (Shame really).
My previous Bass was a Ricky 4001 which didn't suit my style. (Wish I still had it tho!)

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='528371' date='Jun 30 2009, 09:51 AM']Still do! One of my ex-guitarists had a beautiful LP junior copy, and the guitarist form my band Delirium has just received his left-handed Explorer. Here's a ropey mobile phone pic:
[/quote]
I think that used to belong to Gary Huges a "Hair" rocker with some success in Japan 89/92 you tube/google him. I played with him in early 80s nice guy. I'm almost sure that was once his.
I had a gordy fretless explorer ( not mad about the shape, ) another member has it now ,that had a good sound I rember, look for "cort violn bass" on Bass chat and follow the "my Basses" link to find a pic if you want.
I also had a Gordy Jazz in a funny purple colour again not mad abot the look of that too but it sounded nice as well. the factory was in Altringcham nr manchester, not sure but didnt the two guys that ran it have some sort of fall out? hence no more "gordan smith" guitars?
its all so long ago...... but I remember it like it was, yesterday..yesterday..yesterday..yesterday...........

[quote name='witterth' post='584462' date='Aug 29 2009, 01:36 PM']I think that used to belong to Gary Huges a "Hair" rocker with some success in Japan 89/92 you tube/google him. I played with him in early 80s nice guy. I'm almost sure that was once his.
I had a gordy fretless explorer ( not mad about the shape, ) another member has it now ,that had a good sound I rember, look for "cort violn bass" on Bass chat and follow the "my Basses" link to find a pic if you want.
I also had a Gordy Jazz in a funny purple colour again not mad abot the look of that too but it sounded nice as well. the factory was in Altringcham nr manchester, not sure but didnt the two guys that ran it have some sort of fall out? hence no more "gordan smith" guitars?
its all so long ago...... but I remember it like it was, yesterday..yesterday..yesterday..yesterday...........[/quote]
oops it above isnt it ? sorry guys getting a bit too enthusiastic.
"crack generator" love it! :)

I used to own a Gordy Headless bass

A blatant copy of a Status Headless basses. It featured a glued-in neck, coil taps and active EQ.
I also managed to track Mr.Whitham down who kindly returned my email with all the information he had on the bass including the fact that this one of the early one's as Rob Green's objections to a possible copyright infringement meant that all subsequent basses had a slightly different shape.

[quote name='bythesea' post='528236' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:59 PM']I was going to ask where you were as there is a [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ultra-rare-Gordon-Smith-Gypsy-bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ160345225135QQ"]Gordon Smith Gypsy[/url] on ebay at the moment, but you are a little far away to go and try it :)[/quote]
That's a heavy bass - 6 kilos says the seller, about 13.5lbs.

I too own a Gordon Smith, but not a bass though. It's a Graduate 60 Les Paul Copy. The build and finish of it is sublime. It really does play fantastically, although the pickups are perhaps a little too hot for my liking, though they can't be that bad, as I haven't bothered to change them yet!

If GS started building basses again, I would most definately look at buying one, as they're guitars offer serious value for money, IMHO :)

[quote name='retroman' post='584953' date='Aug 30 2009, 09:27 AM']I too own a Gordon Smith, but not a bass though. It's a Graduate 60 Les Paul Copy. The build and finish of it is sublime. It really does play fantastically, although the pickups are perhaps a little too hot for my liking, though they can't be that bad, as I haven't bothered to change them yet!

If GS started building basses again, I would most definately look at buying one, as they're guitars offer serious value for money, IMHO :rolleyes:

[/quote]

That's one seriously nice EB-2 on the right! :)

With an 18" cab, and an EB2, you will move moons out of orbit :) :brow:

Have to admit, that GS Galaxy has given me GAS! I do have a real sweet spot for semi's :lol:

Last time I visited the GS website, there was quite an interesting page on how they build the guitars.....Including using an inner tube off a dump truck to glue the figured tops on! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

[quote name='retroman' post='585316' date='Aug 30 2009, 07:07 PM']With an 18" cab, and an EB2, you will move moons out of orbit :) :brow:

Have to admit, that GS Galaxy has given me GAS! I do have a real sweet spot for semi's :lol:

Last time I visited the GS website, there was quite an interesting page on how they build the guitars.....Including using an inner tube off a dump truck to glue the figured tops on! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I have only been part of Bass Chat for a very short time and now find that lunch has
become Bass Chat time :lol:
Whatever I search for, is found on this site - it's brilliant! :lol:
Looking a "Gordy" today, whilst munching on a sandwich and found one like mine.
I have managed to find an old pic, brightened up a bit - not that good. :lol:
If anyone is interested, I can get some up to date shots.
This is a Great Bass! Light strings, Huge tonal range and very powerful.
Compared to some of my more heavyweight gear, this is so light!!
Not played it for some time, must give it an outing.

[attachment=34452:Gordy.jpg][attachment=34453:Gordy1.jpg]

Anyone else got one??

Cheers.
Flat Eric. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Bought a Gordon Smith Bass from Dr Rocks in Bury years ago, still using it. Four individual circular picks-up that can rotate for slight tone change. (Also got a GS1, but very old...some refer to it as a gypsy cos its polished (serial 00527).

Its a great bass, quite high action, brass nut, mahogany so quite heavy. I'll post a pic when I get a minute. If you see one grab it. Great workhorse and looks beautiful.
:)

TT

hi i have a gordy blueshift fretless it was the first one he made ive had it for at least 25 years now and still use and abuse it every weekend and is still going strong ,and i also have a fretted one which im selling at the mo please contact me if anyone is interested [email protected] cheers [attachment=37426:IMG_0507.JPG][attachment=37425:IMG_0511.JPG][attachment=37427:IMG_0515.JPG]