Why become a member? ×

What's The Catch?!

Lew-Bass

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HK-7-string-bassguitar-bass-guitar-bubinga-ash-body_W0QQitemZ330339876465QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4ce9ca7e71&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A30"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HK-7-string-bassguit...93%3A1|294%3A30[/url]

Seems like an incredible deal, exotic woods, 7 strings and even kent armstrong p'ups! If you take a look at their shop they have other basses like this too all for ridiculously cheap prices. Anyone know about 'HK' and why they're so cheap!?

HK instruments are marketed by german distributor Hermann Kempf from Bückeburg. Some instruments are cheap chinese made OEM instruments (by factories like KHL or Aofa) while others are a little more upscale. Though they may look pretty or exclusive they are not expensive instruments. Actually this 7 string was advertised last year for a steep 1000 GBP on the HK website, looks like prices have dropped. If you look further on the Internet you'll find similar models under other brand names.
Added: picture of an AOFA, inexpensive yet exclusive looking six string bass...

Edited by JanSpeeltBas

[quote name='JanSpeeltBas' post='528020' date='Jun 29 2009, 07:24 PM']HK instruments are marketed by german distributor Hermann Kempf from Bückeburg. Some instruments are cheap chinese made OEM instruments (by factories like KHL or Aofa) while others are a little more upscale. Though they may look pretty or exclusive they are not expensive instruments. Actually this 7 string was advertised last year for a steep 1000 GBP on the HK website, looks like prices have dropped. If you look further on the Internet you'll find similar models under other brand names.
Added: picture of an AOFA, inexpensive yet exclusive looking six string bass...[/quote]

Thankyou for the info. So, are they a good deal? KA p'ups are pretty good are they not?

That particular 7 stringer does look great though, looks like an expensive custom job even down to the fancy headstock. One worry i'd have is that they will most likely be using stock photos so the bass you get might not be so well turned out.

It does look like an absolute steal though, someone less poor than me should bag one!

EDIT: Another thing that i noticed is that one or two of the individual bridge saddles look out of line, although this might just be the angle the bass was photographed at

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='528041' date='Jun 29 2009, 07:45 PM']Any idea what the 2nd hand value of one of these would be?
Id be interested in buying one just to prat about on it for a few months and selling it on hopefully not loosing too much money.

Or does someone fancy lending me a 7 string? :) Finbar?[/quote]

I'd actually be interested in that, really rather skint at the moment though

[quote name='JanSpeeltBas' post='528053' date='Jun 29 2009, 07:57 PM']Haven't played them so can't comment quality. My guess is that they look better than they sound. Second hand value will be low since it's an unknown brand and the market for a sevenstring bass is rather limited... -_-[/quote]
Damn. oh well, thanks for the heads up. Ill just steal Finbars 7 string Shuker at his next gig without him noticing (hopefully)