Why become a member? ×

Whats your favourite Motown and Stax record?

pegman1

Simply just too many to count on this one! Any mo town stuff just blows me away. They just dont make tunes like that anymore! I'm 24 so I'm way too young to remember the mo town stuff when it was actually in the charts but the only person whos come close to recreating that sound for me is Mark Ronson. Still just a wee bit too digital but it does capture that raw essence of 60's soul.

[quote name='molan' post='527310' date='Jun 29 2009, 12:07 AM']....Check Jamerson on both of these (plus some more great dancing on the Soul Tarin coverage....[/quote]
I believe Wilton Felder played bass on I Want You Back.

That really is hard. I particularly love "I heard it through the grapevine" by Marvin Gaye. I even prefer the bassline on his version (which I believe was recorded first but released second). I haven't spent so much time listnening to Stax, will have to ponder that further. Hang on, I'd forgotten that Isaac Hayes' solo albums were released on Stax as he was one of their key songwriters - I really like "Walk on by" off "Hot buttered soul".

This might be sacriligious but one of my favourite Motown renditions is the version of "What becomes of the broken-hearted?" from the live concert on the Standing In The Shadows Of Motown film. Joan Osbourne on lead vocals and the band is on fire! Also the arrangement is much more dynamic than the original (which fades out instead of going through the big call and response crescendo), presumably this is how they performed it live back in the day?

Alex

[quote]"This might be sacriligious but one of my favourite Motown renditions is the version of "What becomes of the broken-hearted?" from the live concert on the Standing In The Shadows Of Motown film. Joan Osbourne on lead vocals and the band is on fire! Also the arrangement is much more dynamic than the original (which fades out instead of going through the big call and response crescendo), presumably this is how they performed it live back in the day?"[/quote]

oh yes!
said it before and i'll say it again
'kin' fantastic
antony