Why become a member? ×

Lightweight, uncoloured cab?

Linus27

I have an Ashdown ABM EVO amp which I run through an Ashdown ABM 4 x 10. It sounds superb. However, I used it for the first time ever in rehersals yesterday and today my back and shoulders are killing me. The carrying it in and out was a nightmare and I really struggled. Out of the back of the car, across the car park, twisting through two doors and through the rehersal room. This thing weights 36kg and I do suffer with a bad neck and shoulders but I have never had a problem before but nothing has ever weighed this much before. I was hard work. I think at my age now (39) and with the possibilty of gigs coming up, I think the time has come to go lightweight.

I think I will keep my Ashdown ABM EVO head as the sound suits me and is superb but I need to change the cab. Idealy I would like a 4 x 10 or 2 x 12 and it has to be lightweight. However, I fancy something that is not going to colour the Ashdown amp to much. I know Alexclaber - barefaced bass stuff is supposed to be uncoloured and is on my list but just wondering if any others that would do the job. Markbass is also light but so far I get the impression that the cabs are not that great and do tend to be coloured.

Its been a little frustrating as I have only had the cab a couple of weeks and it does sound amazing. I should had listened to my wife when she said it would be too heavy for me and to go for a lightweight cab but then I am male and stubborn. She is currently enjoying saying, "I told you so" :):) All I need now is dave_bass5 to join in with the Ashdown comments :rolleyes:

So any recommendations would be really appreciated.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='526802' date='Jun 28 2009, 04:16 PM']You mentioned Barefaced, but really, if I was to buy a cab nowadays that's what I'd get.[/quote]

It is certainly on my list of ones to consider. That is for sure.

Im guessing the ABM 4x10 is about 79 pounds ish then?

Hmm....thats still a lot lighter than a fair few non-neo 4x10s. My Orange is about 98lbs! hahahahah. Ampegs are roughly about that as well.

Anyway, if you still want to go 4x10, id go for a Berg AE410.....but that only saves you about 17lbs and some bulk.

I practice with my Orange 115 and thats much lighter and can easily handle a lot of power...but its still 60 ish lbs.

Id maybe...maybe suggest looking at Schroeder.....1212L or 1212BMF. Ive not tried one but I hear they do a very good job.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='526978' date='Jun 28 2009, 07:45 PM']Im guessing the ABM 4x10 is about 79 pounds ish then?

Hmm....thats still a lot lighter than a fair few non-neo 4x10s. My Orange is about 98lbs! hahahahah. Ampegs are roughly about that as well.

Anyway, if you still want to go 4x10, id go for a Berg AE410.....but that only saves you about 17lbs and some bulk.

I practice with my Orange 115 and thats much lighter and can easily handle a lot of power...but its still 60 ish lbs.

Id maybe...maybe suggest looking at Schroeder.....1212L or 1212BMF. Ive not tried one but I hear they do a very good job.[/quote]

Yeah, 79lbs or 36kg. Thats the thing, I could lift it ok and carry it ok and it did not feel any heavier than cabs I used to own around 10 - 12 years ago when I was out gigging lots, but I do suffer with a bad neck and shoulders and I am really suffering today. I think the age thing has caught up with me now and the neck and shoulders have had enough :)

Edited by Linus27

I'm not entirely sure what "coloured" means. I'm currently using an Epi UL310 Series 2. It cuts through very well and IMHO is more "refined" sounding than the Schroeder 1210 I had before - and handles the low end better. Its also a one hand carry.

There's a Techsoundsystems 4x12 for sale one here, very light, can't remember how light though.
My Tech 6x10 weighs 66lbs, that's stupidly light, stupidly loud and stupidly well made, sounds awsome also.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50602"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50602[/url]

Edited by steve-soar

Tis a heavy bugger, I got rid of mine coz it wouldn't fit (easily) in the new car. Shame because the sound was amazing.
The Schroeder is a completely different beast, same sort of volume available but tons more high mids and treble - try before you buy :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='526794' date='Jun 28 2009, 04:05 PM']All I need now is dave_bass5 to join in with the Ashdown comments smile.gif[/quote]

Oh go on then, seeing as you asked.
Cant you just take the woolly jumpers that are covering the drivers out of the cab and it might sound better and be a lot lighter :)

Seriously, im also looking to get (or maybe try) one of Alex's cabs to replace my 1210R so ill be keeping an eye on this thread. No more silly comments (unless it gets even hotter here at work;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='530481' date='Jul 2 2009, 12:16 PM']Oh go on then, seeing as you asked.
Cant you just take the woolly jumpers that are covering the drivers out of the cab and it might sound better and be a lot lighter :D[/quote]

Oh, such a poor effort. Obvious comment with the wooly jumper remark and only able to raise a small smile. 1.5 out of 5. Must try harder :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='530481' date='Jul 2 2009, 12:16 PM']Seriously, im also looking to get (or maybe try) one of Alex's cabs to replace my 1210R so ill be keeping an eye on this thread. No more silly comments (unless it gets even hotter here at work;-)[/quote]

Don't do that. I know a great Ashdown cab you can buy and it would be much cheaper. Plus, after a month, you will be stronger and fitter with muscles the size of houses. :lol:

Uncoloured is a pretty tricky and subjective thing (Ashdown are really coloured IMO for instance)

I'd +1 Alex' Compact mate, really think it'ss give you what you need, but if it doesnt the Big One will

Or my usual response Berg AE410, I have a bad back, but I dont really struggle with this at all, its tiny as 410s go.

Or the Berg ae12 stack

Or if you are rolling in wonger the IP112 (lifted one last weekend, they are very light!) plus 112er

[quote name='Linus27' post='530534' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:00 PM']Oh, such a poor effort. Obvious comment with the wooly jumper remark and only able to raise a small smile. 1.5 out of 5. Must try harder :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah, sorry. Its bloody hot here at work. I cant think much let alone come up with anything original.

[quote name='Linus27' post='530534' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:00 PM']Don't do that. I know a great Ashdown cab you can buy and it would be much cheaper. Plus, after a month, you will be stronger and fitter with muscles the size of houses. :lol:[/quote]

The problem (main one really) i have with my 1210R is its heavy. Im sure its nothing like your Ashdown (ill refrain from adding anything here ;-) but compared to my 1212L its a lot heavier.
I do quite fancy something a bit more conventional sounding though. Not bothered about it sounding too uncoloured but sometimes the mid hump can get on my nerves a bit. Sounds great out front but im really a 1x15 man.

Ive only heard great things about Alex's cab's and while im very tempted i dont actually "need" a new cab yet.

[quote name='51m0n' post='530559' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:12 PM']Uncoloured is a pretty tricky and subjective thing (Ashdown are really coloured IMO for instance)

I'd +1 Alex' Compact mate, really think it'ss give you what you need, but if it doesnt the Big One will

Or my usual response Berg AE410, I have a bad back, but I dont really struggle with this at all, its tiny as 410s go.

Or the Berg ae12 stack

Or if you are rolling in wonger the IP112 (lifted one last weekend, they are very light!) plus 112er[/quote]

I do love the tone from my Ashdown rig but I think I could get better from a better cab. The one that seems top of my list is the Epifani 410 or Epifani 310. Berg's are so so expensive. Saying that, Alex's compact is half the price of the Epifani's. Of course, I have not played any of these other cabs with my head so it could all be a waste of time.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='530572' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:19 PM']Yeah, sorry. Its bloody hot here at work. I cant think much let alone come up with anything original.

The problem (main one really) i have with my 1210R is its heavy. Im sure its nothing like your Ashdown (ill refrain from adding anything here ;-) but compared to my 1212L its a lot heavier.
I do quite fancy something a bit more conventional sounding though. Not bothered about it sounding too uncoloured but sometimes the mid hump can get on my nerves a bit. Sounds great out front but im really a 1x15 man.

Ive only heard great things about Alex's cab's and while im very tempted i dont actually "need" a new cab yet.[/quote]

Yeah it is hot and I am just about to go for a curry. really sure thats a bad move.

I've also only heard good things about Alex's cabs but I am more a 4x10 type of guy. I do need light though. Have you tried any Epifani's?

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is no such thing as a 4x10" sound. They all sound different!

Same with every speaker configuration. The sound is down to the specifics of the cabinet, driver and crossover designs, not the nominal diameter.

Or to look at an analogy, the performance of a car is not determined by the number of doors it has. Yes, there are lots of fast 2-door cars but there are plenty of 4-door cars with far better performance than many 2-doors. What matters much more is the weight of the car, the stiffness of the suspension, the centre of gravity and the power of the engine - just as with a loudspeaker the cone mass, suspension compliance, cone break-up modes and the voicecoil/magnet motor power matters much more than the nominal diameter.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='530613' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:45 PM']Or to look at an analogy, the performance of a car is not determined by the number of doors it has. Yes, there are lots of fast 2-door cars but there are plenty of 4-door cars with far better performance than many 2-doors. What matters much more is the weight of the car, the stiffness of the suspension, the centre of gravity and the power of the engine ...[/quote]
If I want a car with four doors, I want a car with four doors. I don't care how fast it goes as long as I don't have to swing the front seats up to let the kids in every time I take them to school. A car with four doors meets my needs better than a car with two doors - to take your analogy to its logical conclusion.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='530613' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:45 PM']I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is no such thing as a 4x10" sound. They all sound different!

Same with every speaker configuration. The sound is down to the specifics of the cabinet, driver and crossover designs, not the nominal diameter.

Or to look at an analogy, the performance of a car is not determined by the number of doors it has. Yes, there are lots of fast 2-door cars but there are plenty of 4-door cars with far better performance than many 2-doors. What matters much more is the weight of the car, the stiffness of the suspension, the centre of gravity and the power of the engine - just as with a loudspeaker the cone mass, suspension compliance, cone break-up modes and the voicecoil/magnet motor power matters much more than the nominal diameter.

Alex[/quote]

OK, talking from a non-expert background. I have always found that a 1x15 was always a lot bassier and boomier, especially when comparing like for like. For example, a Trace 1x15 combo always sounded bassier than the 4x10 combo. Even my two Ashdown MAG cabs I had sounded different with my MAG head. The 1x15 was much fuller and bassier than the 2x10 was cleaner, smoother with less bottom end. This was where I actually found the Ashdown 1x15 sounding wooly.

So basing on my experience on different cabs, a 1x15 had always sounded too bass heavy for me and why I always chose the 4x10 option. Now, your cabs may be different but I just wanted to explain why I commented on a 4x10 sound.