Why become a member? ×

Pick vs Fingers

Faithless

So, I'm simply interested, which "thing" do you prefer ( look at the poll), and if you're able - explain, Why do you like using [... fingers, pick, both, etc...] - because of particular sound, or it [pick/fingers] simply looks "standart" with bass, or you're "tired" to start learning with some, or something else...

Fingers, fingers, fingers, fingers and maybe thumb

Has anyone ever seen that year and a half in the life of metallica, they can;t record Jason Newsteads bass properly beacuse of his heavy picking, so they build a wall of foam around his amp in order to try and muffle out some of the pick sound and just get the bass frequencies. How could he have not noticed that before!

Thinking about it Billy Gould from Faith No More had a crazy heavy pick sound - but he used it to emulate slapping, which begs the question "why not just slap?"

[quote name='gilmour' post='55205' date='Sep 4 2007, 12:39 PM']Thinking about it Billy Gould from Faith No More had a crazy heavy pick sound - but he used it to emulate slapping, which begs the question "why not just slap?"[/quote]

I do it the other way round drop my pick and slap so it sounds like a pick.....

The pick up my pick ha ha... and Pick again

Then use me fingers for a deeeeper sound.....

Then the drummer plays my bass with his sticks unless ive got my shuker on then I ask him nicley please dont.....

Both. I have no qualms about using whatever technique is appropriate for getting the sound and feel I need for a bass part. For some songs, the fingerstyle groove is all that'll do. For others, I need the up/down articulation and bite that only a pick can give.

[quote name='bass_ferret' date='Sep 4 2007, 11:37 AM' post='55177']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3358&hl=pick"]see here[/url]

MB1. :)
Cheers Mr Ferret,bloody hell, .....Deja Vous!......You have just entered the twilight Zone......du,du,du,du......du,du,du,du....your mission should you wish to accept it(just turned into mission impossible for no apparent reason?).Find a New General Bass dicsussion Topic that hasnt already been covered,THIS TAPE WILL SELF DESTRUCT IN TEN SECONDS...GOOD LUCK JIM!.

I personally prefer only fingerstyle, because I find it sort of priority with the bass, and some links with Clifford Lee, I think...

[quote name='gilmour' post='55205' date='Sep 4 2007, 02:39 PM']Fingers, fingers, fingers, fingers and maybe thumb

Has anyone ever seen that year and a half in the life of metallica, they can;t record Jason Newsteads bass properly beacuse of his heavy picking, so they build a wall of foam around his amp in order to try and muffle out some of the pick sound and just get the bass frequencies. How could he have not noticed that before!

Thinking about it Billy Gould from Faith No More had a crazy heavy pick sound - but he used it to emulate slapping, which begs the question "why not just slap?"[/quote]

Dah, that outsider pick's sound still remains and it reaaally sucks, it's especially noticeable in Garage Days and Black Album, isn't it?

[quote name='Pbassred' post='55443' date='Sep 4 2007, 06:12 PM']You didn't list "Thumb only" as an option. Surly that's quite different from fingers.[/quote]

Does anyone here just use their thumb?

I only use that which is permanently attached to my wrist to excite the strings, but I vary between conventional fingerstyle, thumb plucking, slapping and strumming.

Alex

I selected mostly finger, some pick. To be fair though it would be MOSTLY finger as we have 4 songs I use a pick on out of the 50 or so we play.

I only use a pick then as it needs a little more attack and I can get everything else from my fingers. I have to admit my fingering is coming along nicely :)