Why become a member? ×

Pyramid Gold flatwounds

GreeneKing

I've decided that I should have a set of flats on one bass. I usually use nickels on all my basses but the choice for the flats was fairly obvious with the Darkstar on my Warmoth with ACG02 pre being the one.

I've used TI's, La Bella Slappers and Ernie Balls and have got on with them all but a recent read up on the Pyramid Gold Flats set me off in their direction for a try. I got a set from John at StringStar and at £40 a set (a good price) they aren't cheap. John's BC discount helps a lot though and he's great to deal with.

Now here's the odd thing about these strings; they feel quite unlike anything I've used before. The inner core seems very flexible indeed and the slight gap on the outer winding means thay sort of 'flop' in a very flexible way until the gap is closed up and they become firm again. This makes for a very soft feel indeed. Talking of gaps, this isn't at all obvious from looking at the string and that have none of the 'stickiness' that some flats have.

These strings ooze quality (they are German made). On the bass they stretch a whole lot when fitting but do settle down. If you like flats these strings really are at the extreme of flat sounding. I'll try them for a few weeks to see how they go and use them in anger at the next Jam night and I'll update.

Lovely quality purple silks too :)

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

After Reading this I have ordered a set for my Dark Star Ibanez ASB 140 should be interesting, possibly not versitle enough as I only have one bass at the moment ( strung with EB flats) got to try these things though.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='534630' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:16 PM']There's two themes running through this thread.

Pyramid Gold strings and Darkstars.

Spooky.[/quote]

Probably because Phil Lesh and Jack Casady both used Pyramid Golds during their late 60s / early 70s Guild Starfire / Hagstrommed Gibson phases.

[quote name='henry norton' post='535041' date='Jul 7 2009, 07:24 PM']Probably because Phil Lesh and Jack Casady both used Pyramid Golds during their late 60s / early 70s Guild Starfire / Hagstrommed Gibson phases.[/quote]

Think I've been rumbled :) rumbled gedit? :brow:

• 2 months later...

Compared to TI's I'd say they are "normal" sizes, although the G does feel a bit skinny and the E feels very fat. Tension is more than TI's but a lot less than most flats (roto or LaBella for eg). So they feel more like regualr flats, but are also more flexible then most.

One thing I've read about them is a very dead sounding E string - I've not noticed this, but honestly they are so "old" sounding out of the packet it wouldn't matter anyway? Lovely strings...if that's a sound you want to make.

• 9 years later...

Zombie thread...

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c44b463316b714577

...but I’ve just bought a set of Pyramid flats for a five string (40-120 Set) and just wanted to say “wow”! Great feel and what to my ears seems like the perfect flatwound sound: warm and thumpy.

Was initially a little hesitant because of the cost, but now feel vindicated for my wreckless purchase. 

Easily on par with La Bella in terms of tone; but slightly less tension and perhaps more playable? Time will tell. For now, very happy with them. And hopefully I’ll never need to change them 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Tried these and actually found them a bit too stiff for my liking, shame as I liked the tone and they had a nice look to them as well but compared to Labella 760fx or TI flats these were just too stiff, shame you can't buy individual strings and make a custom set

Edited by markdavid