Why become a member? ×

Advise on pre-amp

carlosfandango

hello!
We just got some new active speakers for our PA and I bought our trusty QSC poweramp with the ambition to build a loud and ballsy pre/power amp set up. I'm looking for somehting rahter differnet to my iAmp - I'm thinking not so high-tech but more rootsy and ballsy, but still witht he versatility a pre/poweramp offers.
Ampeg? V-Type? Almebic? Live 6?

So - what do you suggest? What's your experiences?

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='54872' date='Sep 3 2007, 06:31 PM']hello!
We just got some new active speakers for our PA and I bought our trusty QSC poweramp with the ambition to build a loud and ballsy pre/power amp set up. I'm looking for somehting rahter differnet to my iAmp - I'm thinking not so high-tech but more rootsy and ballsy, but still witht he versatility a pre/poweramp offers.
Ampeg? V-Type? Almebic? Live 6?

So - what do you suggest? What's your experiences?[/quote]

Lets throw this one into the equation... [url="http://www.demeteramps.com/products/basspreamps/vtbp201s.html"]http://www.demeteramps.com/products/basspr...s/vtbp201s.html[/url]

I use an old Alembic F2B - its certainly warm and very traditional, a fantastic unit - But, it does lack midrange and this can cause problems on some gigs (particularly with cabs with a pronounced mid scoop - like most SWR/Eden/Ampeg). Also the F2B lacks any DI outputs so you have to use a passive DI box in the chain somewhere. The more "modern" F1X is a bit better equiped, (with the same eq) but only has the one channel.

If you're looking for "balls", I suppose its Ampeg, but I've never liked the (rented) ones I played through. I'd also consider the Sansamp rack pre.

I like the combination of an SWR 220 as a clean preamp, but with the Sansamp pedal in front for a bit of edge when needed.

There's a lot of choice..and yes, they do all sound different!

BB

The first to come to mind is the Read Custom Purity - sadly discontinued. Or the Kern - likewise... Eden Navigator, Aguilar DB-659 or 680, SWR Interstellar Overdrive, Warwick Quadruplet? How about the Sansamp RBI or RPM for a cheaper alternative?

This may help: [url="http://www.basstasters.com/preamps/"]http://www.basstasters.com/preamps/[/url]

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='54907' date='Sep 3 2007, 07:21 PM']The first to come to mind is the Read Custom Purity - sadly discontinued. Or the Kern - likewise... Eden Navigator, Aguilar DB-659 or 680, SWR Interstellar Overdrive, Warwick Quadruplet? How about the Sansamp RBI or RPM for a cheaper alternative?

This may help: [url="http://www.basstasters.com/preamps/"]http://www.basstasters.com/preamps/[/url]

Alex[/quote]

ahhaa....yes I completely forgotten about this site. this will keep me busy for some time :)

I love the aguilar stuff, The sansamp are not bad either although different.

many thanx!

Man alive! I think all of my favourites have just been mentioned!!! I still love Ampeg preamps, despite having stupidly sold everyone I have ever owned. WHEN WILL I LEARN!! Come to think of it.. should have kept the V-type.. and the Quadruplet. I now have a Line6 POD XT pro in my rack. I reckon that nails most of the preamp tones listed. Near enough up at gigging volume. However, if there is one preamp I wouldnt mind laying my dirty little fingerz on, that would have to be an EBS Classic. But, for how great they are, they are ridiculously over priced. ;o(

I've got the Aguilar DB680 and the Warwick Quadruplet.

I wouldn't describe the Aguilar as ballsy. Thick, warm, rich, smooth, clean and big, with a very powerful EQ section.

The Warwick is not as thick or big as the Aguilar (in terms of sound) but it has a power amp valve on a dummy load in the circuit to give you the sound of power amp distortion. Different settings bring the power amp valve in and out of the circuit. It sounds fantastic clean or distorted (or somewhere in between).

It's the RMX 2450

I borrowed a friends pre (ampeg) and it sounded really good with the poweramp. Couldn't crank up but what I heard was encouraging. A bit like my SVT Pro4 that I had for years....still don't understand why I got rid of it.....well well.....the price you pay fo GAS i guess!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='55171' date='Sep 4 2007, 11:33 AM']Which QSC power amp is it? Some require quite a hot preamp output voltage to drive them to full volume.

Alex[/quote]

Edited by carlosfandango

Change the valves in an Ampeg - should get rid of a bit of noise. If that's the sound you like then nothing will replicate it (sansamp will but without so much flexibility IMO).

Don't GK do a pre? That's probably very ballsy but then half the GK tone is in their power section so that could be a waste.

[quote name='G-bitch' post='55234' date='Sep 4 2007, 01:07 PM']Change the valves in an Ampeg - should get rid of a bit of noise. If that's the sound you like then nothing will replicate it (sansamp will but without so much flexibility IMO).

Don't GK do a pre? That's probably very ballsy but then half the GK tone is in their power section so that could be a waste.[/quote]

+1 for the Aguilar DB659, only 1 rack space, simple to use and the deep switch is brilliant. Oh yeah and it sounds bloody good aswell.

However I have heard of people encountering problems when trying to drive a QSC with it, the output isnt hot enough. Still it can be sorted.

[quote name='BassBod' post='54900' date='Sep 3 2007, 07:15 PM']I use an old Alembic F2B - its certainly warm and very traditional, a fantastic unit - But, it does lack midrange and this can cause problems on some gigs (particularly with cabs with a pronounced mid scoop - like most SWR/Eden/Ampeg). Also the F2B lacks any DI outputs so you have to use a passive DI box in the chain somewhere. The more "modern" F1X is a bit better equiped, (with the same eq) but only has the one channel.

If you're looking for "balls", I suppose its Ampeg, but I've never liked the (rented) ones I played through. I'd also consider the Sansamp rack pre.

I like the combination of an SWR 220 as a clean preamp, but with the Sansamp pedal in front for a bit of edge when needed.

There's a lot of choice..and yes, they do all sound different!

BB[/quote]

I can vouch for the Alembic F2-B great bit of kit, out of all the gear i 've owned i really regret selling the F2-B :)
Bassbod if you ever want to sell it i'm your man....

Edited by hookys6stringbass

[quote name='The Funk' post='55335' date='Sep 4 2007, 03:42 PM'][quote]My vote goes to EBS. The MicroBass II is as grownly as you like, and has loads of features.[/quote]
I have one of these as well. Very happy with it. Haven't tried running it straight into a power amp yet.
[/quote]

if you get a chance could you give it a try? :)

i really like the idea of just a pedal into a power amp, but when i've asked been told that nothing will suffice.

From what I've heard (briefly) the F2B and F1X are pretty much the same, but the F1X is only half (one channel) but with additional more modern features like a DI output, fx loop and bi-amp outputs (I think?). The DI is op amp driven rather than transformer, which seems to upset some people.

No problem using either for five string - my only reservation is the limited mid-range, but this is more of a cabinet issue really. The mid is there, you just have to be careful (with some cabs) not to overdo the bass boost.

BB

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='60000' date='Sep 13 2007, 05:40 PM']I have one of these as well. Very happy with it. Haven't tried running it straight into a power amp yet.
if you get a chance could you give it a try? :)

i really like the idea of just a pedal into a power amp, but when i've asked been told that nothing will suffice.[/quote]

I run mine straight into my FX return, and it works a treat. Dunno if that helps...