Why become a member? ×

Zoot Bass Cabs

darwin

Hi,

I've been looking at purchasing a pair of cabs (probably 1x12's) and have come across Zoot who have a stockist who are are 5 mins up the road from me.

I've read through a few old Basschat treads where a few others were considering these cabs but I don't think many people actually own them ?

Are there any Zoot owners out there who can share their opinions or anyone esle who knows any more about these cabs ?

Thanks
Darren

Checked them out in the past but never bit the bullet. I seem to remember them being rated quite highly, up along with the likes of the Aguilar 12" cabs. User [b]BassBunny[/b] has a couple of their cabinets I believe, might be worth shooting him a PM?

Danny

[quote name='kjm' post='522949' date='Jun 24 2009, 08:43 PM']Had a 4x12 and got rid, lots of problems with rattles etc and from what I have heard I was not alone, pass would be my advice and I have Aquilar now if that says something, but just my opinion hope that helps[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up ! Best to avoid then, a rattling cab is the last thing I want... I think a trip down the road to the Bass Merchant is probably in order instead....

Cheers

I can't comment on the 1x12 but I have owned a 4x10 and based on that wouldn't recommend them. Had loads of problems with mine, very light for a 4x10 but the sound was not that good and it let me down twice on gigs, ended up having my money back, then purchased a second hand Mark Bass 4x10 for less - miles better cab, I'm now on the lookout for another MB cab (pref 2x10 poss 1x15)

Dave

[quote name='rikki' post='523896' date='Jun 25 2009, 05:17 PM']I can't comment on the 1x12 but I have owned a 4x10 and based on that wouldn't recommend them. Had loads of problems with mine, very light for a 4x10 but the sound was not that good and it let me down twice on gigs, ended up having my money back, then purchased a second hand Mark Bass 4x10 for less - miles better cab, I'm now on the lookout for another MB cab (pref 2x10 poss 1x15)

Dave[/quote]

I'm going to give these Zoot cabs a miss and head to the Bass Merchant tomorrow as I've got the day off (it's my birthday !) Hopefully they'll be able to help me out...

If the dealer is only 5 mins away, maybe it'd be worth going to have a look before you dismiss them.

I brought a Zoot 112 a while ago on BassBunny's recommendation and the review in BGM. Gotta say, best purchase of recent times as I've been as pleased as punch with it.

In my case, I wanted a small light punchy crisp cab for smaller gigs where taking the much larger and heavier EBS gear was impractical. Phoned Zoot up, spoke to Mike at length and he built me a 4 Ohm 112 which was with me in days. Needed the 4 Ohm version as, with my EBS head running at 2 Ohms, wanted to push a larger amount of power into the single cab but still have the ability to buy another at a later date for a mini-stack thing.

At present, the plans for the second really haven't been a problem as the single cab sounds great as it is. Big punchy sound, rich and articulated tone and incredibly well made. Being neo, dead light too.

Guess what I'm saying is that for everyone who tells you stuff is sh*t, there's always someone else who loves it so maybe go and have a listen and make your mind up yourself.

HTH
T

[quote name='Musicman20' post='524194' date='Jun 25 2009, 10:38 PM']Bass Merchant are awesome.

You WILL fall in love with Aguilar...beware :)[/quote]

Correct on both counts !

Very impressed with the stock on the bass merchants and also how friendly & relaxed it is.

There was plenty to choose from but in the end I took it easy on my wallet and went for a secondhand Aguilar 2x12 which gets me extra bonus points at home for spending a lot less than I has intended !

I'm looking forward to giving the new cab a good blast on Saturday night and also returning to the Bass Merchant very soon....

Edited by darwin

[quote name='darwin' post='524167' date='Jun 25 2009, 10:09 PM']I'm going to give these Zoot cabs a miss and head to the Bass Merchant tomorrow as I've got the day off (it's my birthday !) Hopefully they'll be able to help me out...[/quote]
Hi Darren, I've just bought a Schroeder 4x10L, i was finding the MB 15s a tad wooly, so wanted a tighter sound, I guess some 12's would be a nice compromise from ur 15.
Big wedding gig outdoors tomorrow, first big test, but at 1200w I dont think volume will be a problem (probably have Alex on here now and talk about excursion, xmax and thermal ratings!)
I saw Mike making the first Zoots last year and tried some 15s ABd against the MB cabs i finally bought, they were good, but I went for the MBs mainly for resale residual values and size. Good luck at BM, Daz is great to deal with.

[quote name='tonyf' post='524219' date='Jun 25 2009, 11:00 PM']If the dealer is only 5 mins away, maybe it'd be worth going to have a look before you dismiss them.

I brought a Zoot 112 a while ago on BassBunny's recommendation and the review in BGM. Gotta say, best purchase of recent times as I've been as pleased as punch with it.

In my case, I wanted a small light punchy crisp cab for smaller gigs where taking the much larger and heavier EBS gear was impractical. Phoned Zoot up, spoke to Mike at length and he built me a 4 Ohm 112 which was with me in days. Needed the 4 Ohm version as, with my EBS head running at 2 Ohms, wanted to push a larger amount of power into the single cab but still have the ability to buy another at a later date for a mini-stack thing.

At present, the plans for the second really haven't been a problem as the single cab sounds great as it is. Big punchy sound, rich and articulated tone and incredibly well made. Being neo, dead light too.

Guess what I'm saying is that for everyone who tells you stuff is sh*t, there's always someone else who loves it so maybe go and have a listen and make your mind up yourself.

HTH
T[/quote]

you wanna see Mike's latest venture...... Purple Chilli cabs...... looking good so far....

[quote name='crez5150' post='525569' date='Jun 27 2009, 12:39 AM']you wanna see Mike's latest venture...... Purple Chilli cabs...... looking good so far....[/quote]
You is correct Jay.
I was with Mike a couple of weeks ago picking up a Compact 15 he has made for me. The Purple Chili's look awesome. Apparently he is re-branding the Zoot Bass Cabs so all the cabs come under the Purple Chili banner.

I have had my Zoots for well over a year now and still love them. No problems at all and when guitarists start commenting on what they sound like, you know you are on to a winner.
Mine have Eminence Delta's in them and not the Celestion Neo's currently used.
At the end of the day no-one can pick your kit for you. There will always be people who love a product and those that hate it. What works for you, works for you.