Why become a member? ×

new valves for my pre amp.

TGEvans

I know there are many posts regarding this subject but I thought I may get a straight answer without any messing about involved. I am thinking about changing the valves in my aguilar db 680 pre amp. They have the stock ones at moment. I want something that is going to give me a much less gainy sound. something low thick and really fat. could different valves give me that sound? please help me as I kno nothing on this subject. tim

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4629"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4629[/url] I think this one is more or less the same question to be honest. Certainly ECC82 / 12AU7 valves will give you a lower gain as suggested. They will slot straight into any ECC83 /12AX7 complimented preamp.

The next thing you need to decide is what valves to go for..as some do have a different tone and character!

[quote name='brycebites' post='55226' date='Sep 4 2007, 12:59 PM']What are the stock valves?
82's might be too low gain. Try some Mullard ECC81/12at7/CV4024 or some US 5751's like Phillips JAN or GE.[/quote]

Ah Mullard AT7. My favourite AT7 - my top choice for reverb driver in my Fender Twin also. As drive tube they are very smooth and very, very quiet (in terms of unwanted noise not in terms of volume or gain) They will give you a much smoother, less aggresive drive - could be exactly what you are wanting. I'd defo agree with brycebites and say that the Mullard is the top choice to try out for your needs.

Try Tube Amp Doctor for repro tubes if cost is a factor. I find their range of tubes great sounding for the money.

Edited by EBS_freak