Jump to content

warwick thread


budget bassist

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, NickA said:

 

Oh yes indeed.  Pick up a thumb or a dolphin and feel that wood.  Some poor sod had to carve that! ( Though my own dolphin is cnc ).  Need big hands for a 6 mind, doubt I could reach the B string.

My hands aren't big and the neck on a Thumb NT6 isn't very wide either. Look at my Yamaha.
It is simply a matter of correct hand positioning. No left hand thumb dangling over the edge of the neck! 🙂

20210524_163219.thumb.jpg.fa246b0ff3ee164b84a82028b167572f.jpg

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The 4 string Dolph is really easy to play, fantastic access all the way to fret 27. 

Only 4 strings and only 19mm between strings.  What's the spacing on those 6 stringers?

My only 5 string bass is a Wal tho and despite 17mm spacing I find it a bit of a handful .. care required not to buzz a g string fret when playing the B string. I do have short stubby fingers though and still a relative newbie when it comes to frets.

Thumb hooking certainly a no no ( on any bass imo )

Edited by NickA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Aren't they all CNC routed? Maybe the Masterbuilts aren't, but I reckon the rest are. 

Masterbuilds are rough CNC work and finished by hand.  Best of both worlds, and can testify my 2017 Thumb wipes the floor with the eighties and nineties models I’ve had, outstanding build quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, NickA said:

 

Oh yes indeed.  Pick up a thumb or a dolphin and feel that wood.  Some poor sod had to carve that! ( Though my own dolphin is cnc ).  Need big hands for a 6 mind, doubt I could reach the B string.

I have a background in playing baseball bat Precision basses, wide necked Sadowsky five strings and double basses with neck dimensions akin to a trunk of a small tree.

I would have thought that the narrower string spacing on standard Warwicks would make the 6 string necks more manageable? I know Warwick do broadneck options as well though, which might be a struggle to navigate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

The ongoing search for a 90's or 2010 onwards Thumb or Streamer continues.
Must be 4 sting and fretted, preferably bubinga pommele body and wenge neck for the Thumb and maple SS1 but happy to consider other variants, particularly on the Streamer.

The intention for either (both ideally) is to sit alongside my bubinga Corvette as a burgeoning Warwick fleet.

Understandably the market is still a little strange right now, but happy to hear from anybody that might have something they're looking to move on. Thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brian45 said:

The original wenge necks on the pro m are really very special and sort after. Great bass!

Sure. This is the back of the thing, in all its wenge-tastic glory  ...377334EC-0764-4249-A6B1-C6D14616826D.thumb.jpeg.a88a2104dc492771b0c64d61085769f3.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did a bass shootout / sound comparison between 2 Warwick Thumb NT 5 basses - one with wenge neck and the other with ovangkol neck. Which one you like better?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SaimoN said:

Did a bass shootout / sound comparison between 2 Warwick Thumb NT 5 basses - one with wenge neck and the other with ovangkol neck. Which one you like better?

 

That’s a great video, what a couple of awesome sounding basses!

This is potentially sacrilege but…I think I prefer the Ovangkol neck! Not much in it, but it seemed to have a bit more ‘bite’ to my ears. The Wenge was slightly more rounded and warmer. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/06/2021 at 09:57, SaimoN said:

Did a bass shootout / sound comparison between 2 Warwick Thumb NT 5 basses - one with wenge neck and the other with ovangkol neck. Which one you like better?

 

Ah I just commented on this on YT!

But yeah to repeat, wenge's depth, smoothness and richness in the low end and low mids wins out, amazing to hear the differences.  Blind test, I'd have thought the Ovangkol was a bolt on! (I know you have another vid showcasing that difference too!)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/06/2021 at 12:25, CookPassBabtridge said:

That’s a great video, what a couple of awesome sounding basses!

This is potentially sacrilege but…I think I prefer the Ovangkol neck! Not much in it, but it seemed to have a bit more ‘bite’ to my ears. The Wenge was slightly more rounded and warmer. 

 

On 02/07/2021 at 00:14, Kev said:

Ah I just commented on this on YT!

But yeah to repeat, wenge's depth, smoothness and richness in the low end and low mids wins out, amazing to hear the differences.  Blind test, I'd have thought the Ovangkol was a bolt on! (I know you have another vid showcasing that difference too!)

 

These are some interesting thoughts, thanx for sharing them! I'll also copy-paste my YT comment here: I think the '01 NT is closer to my former '03 BO in sound, but the '95 is closer to the bolt-on when it comes to body shape & neck profile. Both NTs are great - I prefer the wenge one, it has a bit darker tone, sounds more mean in nasty in the mix for me, and it's lightly more comfy to play. Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/06/2021 at 13:57, optimus said:

The ongoing search for a 90's or 2010 onwards Thumb or Streamer continues.
Must be 4 sting and fretted, preferably bubinga pommele body and wenge neck for the Thumb and maple SS1 but happy to consider other variants, particularly on the Streamer.

The intention for either (both ideally) is to sit alongside my bubinga Corvette as a burgeoning Warwick fleet.

Understandably the market is still a little strange right now, but happy to hear from anybody that might have something they're looking to move on. Thanks.

spoken to @warwickhunt? I dunno what he's got at the moment but there's been times when I've asked and been offered a lovely selection of early 90's Streamers at v v good prices. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

@ern500evo I started a discussion about alternative preamps for a SS1 a few months ago here - a couple of people shared their experiences of using an OBP-3 which will hopefully be of use to you.

Thanks man, very much appreciated! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting to hear some people say about the bass centre frequency of the OBP-3, saying that it’s only really useful to cut rather than boost. I’ve just had a a guy on a Warwick FB group say the exact same thing. I’m also now intrigued by how a Darkglass Tone Capsule would sound in there. I’ve got one in my Dingwall NG2 and It is pretty versatile 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I put a Seymour Duncan pre in mine and wasn’t overly impressed with it either. I do have a Bartolini in my Thumb though and am pretty happy with it. A few people seem to have tried John East and have good things to say. I don’t have any experience with the Darkglass, but you see them in Spectors quite a lot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/07/2021 at 09:05, LukeFRC said:

spoken to @warwickhunt? I dunno what he's got at the moment but there's been times when I've asked and been offered a lovely selection of early 90's Streamers at v v good prices. 

I have indeed and, as you say, some lovely Streamers at good prices.
Lovely, but not quite what I'm after at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/06/2021 at 09:57, SaimoN said:

Did a bass shootout / sound comparison between 2 Warwick Thumb NT 5 basses - one with wenge neck and the other with ovangkol neck. Which one you like better?

Nice work and another interesting and helpful comparison.
Both sound good. Wenge, for me, has a fuller, richer sound in the lows with the ovangkol having a little more punch?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...