Why become a member? ×

warwick thread

budget bassist

[quote name='bartelby' post='544216' date='Jul 18 2009, 06:59 PM']Just picked this up for a very small amount of money as a project bass.

It needs rewiring and I think I'm going to have it defretted.[/quote]

How much did you pay if you don't mind? I love battered old Warwicks! Missed a shabby old Fortress on eBay a couple of years ago for a ridiculous price

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='547636' date='Jul 22 2009, 02:52 PM']How much did you pay if you don't mind? I love battered old Warwicks! Missed a shabby old Fortress on eBay a couple of years ago for a ridiculous price[/quote]

I paid £150 for it.

Here are some low quality photos after de-fretting.

I still need to get some flats and knobs for it. New pickups and electronics will follow in the next few months.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='548148' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:33 PM']Christ!! That's a lot of bass for £150![/quote]

Yeah. There was a longish list of issues though:
Buggered frets, hence defretting
electrics were screwed
heads came off 2 of the screws for the machineheads
chunks knocked out the edge of the fretboard

so I wasn't too worried about defretting it myself.

[quote name='pal1972' post='549582' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:06 AM']its not a great pic but heres my '92 fortress one along side my 24fret jazz, and infront of my new rig!!! :)

[attachment=29481:Image133.jpg][/quote]

I do love the look of the Fortress - very nice!

I remember playing an ovangkol bodied and necked $$ Corvette in the guitar shop just off Corp. Street in Preston town centre earlier this year. It was a pretty nice bass, and would really kick ass in the studio. But since then I've not seen any with ovangkol bodies and necks - what the hell was this bass?

I'm pretty sure it was ovangkol, it has that distinctive open grain and sounded like ovangkol with that burpy midrange. I remember being puzzled that the neck and body woods were exactly the same, as I hadn't heard of any model like this - unless it's been some kind of custom order!

[quote name='bartelby' post='547968' date='Jul 22 2009, 06:41 PM']I paid £150 for it.

I still need to get some flats and knobs for it. New pickups and electronics will follow in the next few months.[/quote]

Christ on a bike, good score!

I've a bass and treble knob cover for a Warwick stacked pot somewhere (black), give us a shout if you need it, i bought it in error so i have no use for it

[quote name='Chris2112' post='553265' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:01 PM']I'm pretty sure it was ovangkol, it has that distinctive open grain and sounded like ovangkol with that burpy midrange. I remember being puzzled that the neck and body woods were exactly the same, as I hadn't heard of any model like this - unless it's been some kind of custom order![/quote]

Warwick have made ovangkol bodied $$ - here:

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/NewsCustomShop.php?newsID=1050&modell=Corvette&page=5&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/...age=5&cl=EN[/url]

Although that one appears to have been delivered to a customer in Greece rather than Preston!

[quote name='simondee' post='553335' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:49 PM']ruh roh!

I have four wicks.

:)[/quote]

How does the Thumb sounds with Barts in? I've been thinking of sticking some in my Thumb for a laugh...

As for the $$ Corvette, it looked just like that but with 4 strings!

• 1 month later...