Why become a member? ×

warwick thread

budget bassist

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Aren't they all CNC routed? Maybe the Masterbuilts aren't, but I reckon the rest are. 

Masterbuilds are rough CNC work and finished by hand.  Best of both worlds, and can testify my 2017 Thumb wipes the floor with the eighties and nineties models I’ve had, outstanding build quality.

14 hours ago, NickA said:

Oh yes indeed.  Pick up a thumb or a dolphin and feel that wood.  Some poor sod had to carve that! ( Though my own dolphin is cnc ).  Need big hands for a 6 mind, doubt I could reach the B string.

I have a background in playing baseball bat Precision basses, wide necked Sadowsky five strings and double basses with neck dimensions akin to a trunk of a small tree.

I would have thought that the narrower string spacing on standard Warwicks would make the 6 string necks more manageable? I know Warwick do broadneck options as well though, which might be a struggle to navigate. 

• 4 weeks later...

The ongoing search for a 90's or 2010 onwards Thumb or Streamer continues.
Must be 4 sting and fretted, preferably bubinga pommele body and wenge neck for the Thumb and maple SS1 but happy to consider other variants, particularly on the Streamer.

The intention for either (both ideally) is to sit alongside my bubinga Corvette as a burgeoning Warwick fleet.

Understandably the market is still a little strange right now, but happy to hear from anybody that might have something they're looking to move on. Thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian45 said:

The original wenge necks on the pro m are really very special and sort after. Great bass!

Sure. This is the back of the thing, in all its wenge-tastic glory  ...377334EC-0764-4249-A6B1-C6D14616826D.thumb.jpeg.a88a2104dc492771b0c64d61085769f3.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SaimoN said:

Did a bass shootout / sound comparison between 2 Warwick Thumb NT 5 basses - one with wenge neck and the other with ovangkol neck. Which one you like better?

That’s a great video, what a couple of awesome sounding basses!

This is potentially sacrilege but…I think I prefer the Ovangkol neck! Not much in it, but it seemed to have a bit more ‘bite’ to my ears. The Wenge was slightly more rounded and warmer. 

• Like 1

On 28/06/2021 at 09:57, SaimoN said:

Did a bass shootout / sound comparison between 2 Warwick Thumb NT 5 basses - one with wenge neck and the other with ovangkol neck. Which one you like better?

Ah I just commented on this on YT!

But yeah to repeat, wenge's depth, smoothness and richness in the low end and low mids wins out, amazing to hear the differences.  Blind test, I'd have thought the Ovangkol was a bolt on! (I know you have another vid showcasing that difference too!)

• Like 1

On 28/06/2021 at 12:25, CookPassBabtridge said:

That’s a great video, what a couple of awesome sounding basses!

This is potentially sacrilege but…I think I prefer the Ovangkol neck! Not much in it, but it seemed to have a bit more ‘bite’ to my ears. The Wenge was slightly more rounded and warmer. 

On 02/07/2021 at 00:14, Kev said:

Ah I just commented on this on YT!

But yeah to repeat, wenge's depth, smoothness and richness in the low end and low mids wins out, amazing to hear the differences.  Blind test, I'd have thought the Ovangkol was a bolt on! (I know you have another vid showcasing that difference too!)

These are some interesting thoughts, thanx for sharing them! I'll also copy-paste my YT comment here: I think the '01 NT is closer to my former '03 BO in sound, but the '95 is closer to the bolt-on when it comes to body shape & neck profile. Both NTs are great - I prefer the wenge one, it has a bit darker tone, sounds more mean in nasty in the mix for me, and it's lightly more comfy to play. Cheers!

On 24/06/2021 at 13:57, optimus said:

The ongoing search for a 90's or 2010 onwards Thumb or Streamer continues.
Must be 4 sting and fretted, preferably bubinga pommele body and wenge neck for the Thumb and maple SS1 but happy to consider other variants, particularly on the Streamer.

The intention for either (both ideally) is to sit alongside my bubinga Corvette as a burgeoning Warwick fleet.

Understandably the market is still a little strange right now, but happy to hear from anybody that might have something they're looking to move on. Thanks.

spoken to @warwickhunt? I dunno what he's got at the moment but there's been times when I've asked and been offered a lovely selection of early 90's Streamers at v v good prices. 

Interesting to hear some people say about the bass centre frequency of the OBP-3, saying that it’s only really useful to cut rather than boost. I’ve just had a a guy on a Warwick FB group say the exact same thing. I’m also now intrigued by how a Darkglass Tone Capsule would sound in there. I’ve got one in my Dingwall NG2 and It is pretty versatile 

• Like 1

Yeah, I put a Seymour Duncan pre in mine and wasn’t overly impressed with it either. I do have a Bartolini in my Thumb though and am pretty happy with it. A few people seem to have tried John East and have good things to say. I don’t have any experience with the Darkglass, but you see them in Spectors quite a lot. 

On 07/07/2021 at 09:05, LukeFRC said:

spoken to @warwickhunt? I dunno what he's got at the moment but there's been times when I've asked and been offered a lovely selection of early 90's Streamers at v v good prices. 

I have indeed and, as you say, some lovely Streamers at good prices.
Lovely, but not quite what I'm after at the moment.

On 28/06/2021 at 09:57, SaimoN said:

Nice work and another interesting and helpful comparison.
Both sound good. Wenge, for me, has a fuller, richer sound in the lows with the ovangkol having a little more punch?

• Like 1

On 10/07/2021 at 11:16, optimus said:

Nice work and another interesting and helpful comparison.
Both sound good. Wenge, for me, has a fuller, richer sound in the lows with the ovangkol having a little more punch?

Thank you! I have similar thoughts. My fav is wenge-neck, passive mode, steel strings (I used nickels in this vid).

• 3 weeks later...