Why become a member? ×

warwick thread

budget bassist

19 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I'll guess that one push-pull is active/passive, the other will likely be a coil-tap for the bridge pickup that kills the rearward half of the twinjazz, essentially leaving you with a thinner, more jazz bass oriented sound.

This, Warwick love putting the toggle switches in with their HB pickups to coil split. 

The push pull is a direct bypass for the Active, which is nice as if your battery craps out mid gig you still have a perfectly serviceable passive bass.

On 08/02/2021 at 11:26, LeftyJ said:

My two Streamer LX's :)

DSC_4810.thumb.JPG.506bd92c97962888a7f85499dc5f11e0.JPG

Left is my 2003 Streamer LX5 in Nirvana Black transparent HP (high polish), right is a 2002 Streamer LX4 in Burgundy Red HP that I recently acquired and have barely been able to put down since. The 5-string originally had gold hardware too, but when I got the bass around 10 years ago, much of the goldplating on the bridge had worn off. Both have chunky ovangkol necks, but I find them comfortable enough to play. The 5-string has been my main axe in my metal band, where it's had to punch its way through a full mix with two 7-string guitars and some keys, and it did so with ease. The tone is a bit scooped but thick and bright, and with just a tiny edge of Ampeg dirt it really does the trick. 

They're only 1 year apart, but have two striking differences: the 5-string originally came with a JAN2 (which was broken when I got it, I replaced it with a corian JAN3 but none of the available nut widths fully matched! I had to sand one down to the correct width) but the 4-string has an original JAN with individual string height. The 5 has the quick-access electronics cover, but the 4 has the old-style cover that is screwed on in threaded inserts in the body. I wonder if it's a lefty thing, I'm pretty sure the quick-access compartment had been around for a while in 2002 but maybe only on righties until then. 

That red one ever becomes surplus to requirements I will rip your arm clean off :D

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, throwoff said:

The push pull is a direct bypass for the Active, which is nice as if your battery craps out mid gig you still have a perfectly serviceable passive bass.

Not really! The gold label MEC pickups are active, and require 9V at all times to work. The push-pull only bypasses the tone controls.

21 minutes ago, throwoff said:

That red one ever becomes surplus to requirements I will rip your arm clean off :D

I'll keep you in mind, but don't count on it! Ever since I got it it's all I've been playing and it's awesome :lol:

5 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Not really! The gold label MEC pickups are active, and require 9V at all times to work. The push-pull only bypasses the tone controls.

I'll keep you in mind, but don't count on it! Ever since I got it it's all I've been playing and it's awesome :lol:

Dammit didn’t clock the gold pups!

I always prefer the silver label with active electronics!

Whilst looking around for info on my Infinity, I came across this! Your's for just €6,185 ("50% off") as what appears to be part of a sale of some of their "showroom" stock - this one from 2008 !

https://shop.warwick.de/en/instruments/electric-basses/warwick-custom-shop/infinity-models/22938/warwick-custom-shop-infinity-5-string-natural-high-polish-showroom-model-from-2008?c=3739

image.png.ef58e8fcbd59d60363caffc29842be5f.png

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I'll guess that one push-pull is active/passive, the other will likely be a coil-tap for the bridge pickup that kills the rearward half of the twinjazz, essentially leaving you with a thinner, more jazz bass oriented sound.

20 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Thanks for the replies folks - very useful. I now remember the "coil-tap" function from the Thumb Dirty Blonde I used to have !

17 hours ago, Fionn said:

Hi there John. I’ve not really  been on BC for a while. Did you end up moving to the Neuk??

I’ve had this for about five years, but I bought it here from a guy who goes by the name ‘Bamboo’. I think I recall you saying you were eyeing it up though.

So far as weight goes, I can’t weigh it for you unfortunately as I don’t have scales, but it’s significantly heavier than the ‘87 Streamer I had (which is your kind of target weight, right?).

We did move as it happens Ed but not to the Neuk... we weren't brave enough!  :)  

I've got a feeling the Streamer Pro M that I was looking at was on FB and I recall the seller claiming it was between 7-8lb.  I had my doubts on that but in the end someone else got it.  I like the simple lines on those basses but do wonder if I'd have wanted a full blown MM pup rather than the twin Jazz.  

I'm still watching for an 87/early 88 SSI but I'm in no hurry, the right one will come up eventually.  ;)  

9 hours ago, throwoff said:

if your battery craps out mid gig you still have a perfectly serviceable passive bass.

Not on my dolphin pro 1.

9 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Bit pointless really.

The coil tap on the other hand, I really like.  Jazz bass mode. Az

• 2 weeks later...

NBD!

I just received this German made Warwick Streamer CV4, and I couldn't be happier. Built like a tank, and the quality is flawless. Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard and swamp ash body, gives a total weight of 7.5 lbs. Light as a feather. Easily the best instrument I have ever owned, and extremely comfortable to play on! I replaced the tuners for hipshots (always do), and I want to change the passive MECs in the not-to-distant future. This I knew beforehand, but I would love to get some recommendations of which pups to choose. The passive 2-band electronics might also be changed to an active preamp. But that is questions for another thread.

IMG_0081.thumb.jpeg.91caca9770bce2333dc97f7144beabac.jpegIMG_0080.thumb.jpeg.f46fcf4d92b370cd3d4ee3f7a51fc174.jpegIMG_0079.thumb.jpeg.73bffa87579474e7907c769a0265a803.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful! 

If yours has the solid machined brass bridge I wouldn't touch it (wickedly expensive to replace, and a really solid piece of hardware) but if it's one of the molded bridges: Warwick sells black replacements in their webshop at very fair prices. The solid brass bridge + tailpiece is €385, but the molded one in black is only €55.

https://shop.warwick.de/en/parts-for-instruments/warwick-spare-parts/bass-bridges-tailpieces

Thanks. Putting the black strap locks and replacing the knobs has toned it down enough, I think.

I had a 2002 (stupidly sold 🙄) that I replaced everything with black and comparing pics of the two I prefer the look of this one. If they had one-piece bridges it might have been a different story.

This thing sounds very nice indeed! I won’t be selling it 🤣

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm a lurker that signed up a while ago but this is my first post as I've got a Warwick story to tell. I've also posted it on the Warwick forums.

I’m in the market for an upgrade to my current bass and I've been searching for a second-hand German or Korean Corvette, which got me thinking about my experience of having a job interview at Warwick.

It includes a memory that still haunts me to this day. I thought I’d tell the story here as some may find it amusing.

Back in 2010, I applied for the position of in-house journalist for Warwick/Framus. I was fresh out of university after completing my Journalism degree in the UK and at this point, I had sent a few applications here and there in the UK without much luck. I honestly thought they’d never get back to me, so why not send a speculative application? I had nothing to lose.

However I was delighted to receive an invite to Warwick HQ in Markneukirchen for a trial week, so when I was asked to fly over and show them what I can do, this was a huge boost to my confidence. They’d put me up in a hotel and let me work for a week in their amazing headquarters – I couldn’t say ‘yes’ quick enough.

I booked my flight over to Germany and the company kindly picked me up from the local airport and took me to my hotel. It’s a beautiful little German village in the middle of nowhere. I could speak a tiny bit of German – enough to order some food and a beer or two – but fortunately the hotelier and the majority of people at the company spoke English, which was very reassuring for a fish out of water like me.

The company stressed to me that this role would probably consume my life for the next 4-5 years and, given how remote the location is, you would have to throw yourself into the job. I was 21 years old and bang up for anything that paid after university, so this appealed to me. I was young and ready for a new challenge.

On the day I started, I was given the grand tour of the factory and shown the office where I’d be working. Everyone was very friendly and I was looking forward to getting started. One of my tasks over the course of the week was to write the October 2010 newsletter which went out to subscribers. It featured an overview of the Streamer Jazzman as well as the announcement of the the Pro Series made in Korea. It also featured an interview with Richard Lovgren, bassist in Meshuggah, conducted by Warwick Artist Relations Manager Alex Becker, the latter of whom I met at the office. I also wrote a feature on Bubinga Pommele Round Wood for the website.

Pretty standard stuff now that I’m writing it down here but I was so jazzed to write about this type of thing. I still have a copy of the newsletter and the feature in my journalism portfolio.

One evening, Hans Peter-Wilfer and the staff took me and another applicant to a local restaurant where we had dinner and a few drinks. They were very honest with me in saying this is probably a job you’ll do for 3 years and then move on due to the HQs remoteness. This didn’t phase me as, again, I was a grad out of university ready for a new challenge and this was a huge opportunity. We ate and drank and had a great time – I could really see myself being here for the long haul.

One day, I was asked to conduct a phoner with one of Warwick’s artists. I’m struggling to remember the band exactly now but it was one of those American hard-rock/nu-metal-ish bands. I think it was Trapt, as Pete Charrell – their bassist - was a Warwick artist at the time. I had done quite a few interviews as a proper journalist at this point – Joe Duplantier of Gojira, Andrew WK, Alexisonfire – so coming up with a list of questions for the interview was no bother.

At this point I was told Jonas Hellborg was in town and he’d be coming over to have a chat with me. Now I have to admit I didn’t really know who he was but apparently he’s a big deal and it would be good to impress him. We sat down for a chat and I explained my background and why I was here etc. He looked over my questions I had written ready for the interview with Pete.

He basically said – and I’m paraphrasing here - they were complete stinky poo and “had I ever done an interview before”. I was really shocked to hear this but being 21 years old and keen to impress, I politely explained I had but was open to working with him to refine the questions. He asked me to go back and write some different questions.

I was a little flustered by the time of the phoner but I had got some new questions ready. I got my dictaphone set up, plugged it into the office phone’s handset and away I went. After the interview, I went back to the hotel and was chuffed with myself for doing such a good job.

I went back to the office the next day to transcribe the interview. It was a 30-45 min call so it would take me a little while to transcribe but it was a fun call despite Jonas having rattled me a bit the day before. I got my Dictaphone out, plugged in my headphones and pressed play.

There was no audio. My heart stopped. I fast-forwarded through the interview and there was still no audio. I waited a few more seconds and I heard my voice asking questions to Pete, but there was no response. I eventually realised I had not plugged the dictaphone into the audio out, but into a different socket. I recorded myself talking, but not Pete. I turned white as a sheet and realised I had massively flipped up.

It was at that point that everything came crashing down. I was a fresh-faced graduate in a foreign country in the middle of nowhere who has just ruined this interview with a Warwick artist, specifically after getting a grilling by Jonas. I felt very isolated and was beating myself up about it.

But one of the staff who was looking after me said it was totally fine and asked me to just type up what I could remember. I tried my best to remember what Pete had said, and wrote maybe an A4 page or so of content. It was complete rubbish and I was mortally embarrassed for making such a mistake. It was human error but I was so eager to impress, it just affected me for the rest of the trial week. I submitted the piece and, funnily enough, I do not include it in my portfolio for the future. I didn’t see Jonas for the rest of the week. Whether that was intentional or not – I don’t know!

I don’t remember a whole lot after that, except for saying my goodbyes and being driven to the airport after my trial week had concluded. A week after my visit, I received an email saying I wasn’t successful and I wouldn’t be getting the role. It didn’t come as a surprise.

I was gutted but naturally understood the decision. It was perhaps a sliding doors moment in my life because if I hadn’t been rejected, I wouldn’t have got a new job local to me in the UK where I’ve made my best friends for the last 10 years and also met my wife in the same city. I do think “what if…?” but maybe it worked out best for both Warwick and me!

That being said, Warwick will always have a place in my heart because of those moments, and I’m now at a stage in my life where I can upgrade to a Warwick. So if anyone has a Pro Series Corvette made in Korea for around £400, let me know...

59039_424804822723_7531501_n.jpg

59989_424804742723_6910224_n.jpg

60341_424805132723_6171435_n.jpg

61864_424804852723_212492_n.jpg

62214_424805107723_6204992_n.jpg

60129_424805182723_7398320_n.jpg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2021 at 13:02, SaimoN said:

NBD! Warwick Thumb NT 5 from 1995 with wenge neck & 18V 3-band MEC preamp.

IMG_20210514_203322.jpg

IMG_20210514_203512.jpg

1 hour ago, DiMarco said:

Still needs cleaning and polishing. Picked up this baby today. @Kev might dig it. It's a 1990.

Thumb1.thumb.JPG.6cebc17cd843e953cb8a6cfcee8e1eb4.JPG

Thumb2.thumb.JPG.161043c9677af98557bf35d43157aaf1.JPG

Two stunning opposables!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thodrik said:

five or six string Thumb. Stunning basses

Oh yes indeed.  Pick up a thumb or a dolphin and feel that wood.  Some poor sod had to carve that! ( Though my own dolphin is cnc ).  Need big hands for a 6 mind, doubt I could reach the B string.

12 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Aren't they all CNC routed? Maybe the Masterbuilts aren't, but I reckon the rest are. 

They used to be hand carved back in the day. Nowadays all the rough work is done by CNC. I do believe they sand by hand and to some other fine work in the custom shop.

24 minutes ago, NickA said:

Oh yes indeed.  Pick up a thumb or a dolphin and feel that wood.  Some poor sod had to carve that! ( Though my own dolphin is cnc ).  Need big hands for a 6 mind, doubt I could reach the B string.

My hands aren't big and the neck on a Thumb NT6 isn't very wide either. Look at my Yamaha.
It is simply a matter of correct hand positioning. No left hand thumb dangling over the edge of the neck! 🙂

20210524_163219.thumb.jpg.fa246b0ff3ee164b84a82028b167572f.jpg

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 1

The 4 string Dolph is really easy to play, fantastic access all the way to fret 27. 

Only 4 strings and only 19mm between strings.  What's the spacing on those 6 stringers?

My only 5 string bass is a Wal tho and despite 17mm spacing I find it a bit of a handful .. care required not to buzz a g string fret when playing the B string. I do have short stubby fingers though and still a relative newbie when it comes to frets.

Thumb hooking certainly a no no ( on any bass imo )

Edited by NickA