Why become a member? ×

warwick thread

budget bassist

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2020 at 22:30, Kev said:

Just a nice piece of Bubinga Pomele 😊

Ahh, looks light like walnut and I thought you might have gone through the master reserve wood selection since Warwick only seem to offer US black walnut as a custom shop "standard" option .
Makes sense now..

Looks a superb piece of Bubinga though, top work.

15 hours ago, optimus said:

Nice work on these comparisons and interesting to hear the subtle differences, so thanks for that.

Were the same strings (same type and similar age) used on both the BO and Neck Through?

Thanx, glad you like it! The strings were: D'Addario Pro Steels (can't remember the gauge though) on BO, and DR Hi Beams 40-120 on NT. Both string sets were at "the similar point of being not dead yet". Tuning was F# B F# B E (pick samples) & G# C# F# B E (fingers & slap).

16 hours ago, funkypenguin said:

Just finished rebuilding my rig and it’s all Warwick so it fits in here nicely!

complete hellborg system with my 97 Streamer LX custom shop!

Nice.
I've never seen the Hellborg Warwick amps and cabs in person. I appreciate they were probably targeting a particular tone or sound, but was (is) the premium pricing reflected in the quality of construction?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, optimus said:

Nice.
I've never seen the Hellborg Warwick amps and cabs in person. I appreciate they were probably targeting a particular tone or sound, but was (is) the premium pricing reflected in the quality of construction?

I would say so, the preamp and power amp are massively engineered (the power amp is heavier than the moon so it needs it....). All the switches and knobs have a really solid, quality feel to them. Obviously I haven't taken the cabs apart or anything but they seem very well engineered to me, and are tuned to work together as a full system (like really high quality monitors), so it might look like overkill on a gig but there is reason behind the madness. I bought the entire rig either second hand, clearance or B stock, so it cost me a fraction of what it would have cost as new back in 2007.

Hello, i am looking for a Warwick Star Bass. There is one for sale at the moment, but it is a Pro series Teambuilt, not a StarBass II, because that would be a Masterbuilt. The price is £1700. Is that a good price? And what are the differences between a Pro Series Teambuilt and a Masterbuilt? Thank you!

3 hours ago, Quasar79 said:

Hello, i am looking for a Warwick Star Bass. There is one for sale at the moment, but it is a Pro series Teambuilt, not a StarBass II, because that would be a Masterbuilt. The price is £1700. Is that a good price? And what are the differences between a Pro Series Teambuilt and a Masterbuilt? Thank you!

I think it depends on when the bass in question was manufactured. Warwick seem to go through phases with their specifications.

Nowadays, the general difference that I can see between Teambuilt and Masterbuilt is that Warwick limit the body woods and finishes available on the Teambuilt, along with the use of Ovangkol necks and nickel silver frets on the Teambuilt vs. Wenge and bronze frets on the Masterbuilt.
i.e. they keep the good stuff for the Masterbuilt pricing!
Edited to Add: Bronze nut on Masterbuilt vs. Tedur Nut on Teambuilt.

If you're referring to this in the For Sale section, the body wood is Pommele bubinga, which would not be available on the current Teambuilt versions.
I don't believe you can customise Teambuilt versions either. Certainly the price lists on the Warwick site suggest this is the case but others may know better.
Perhaps you could ask the seller to confirm the serial number and then insert that on the Warwick website to confirm the specification and the year of manufacture. Looks a nice bass though...

Edited by optimus
Addition of nut difference

22 minutes ago, optimus said:

I think it depends on when the bass in question was manufactured. Warwick seem to go through phases with their specifications.

Nowadays, the general difference that I can see between Teambuilt and Masterbuilt is that Warwick limit the body woods and finishes available on the Teambuilt, along with the use of Ovangkol necks and nickel silver frets on the Teambuilt vs. Wenge and bronze frets on the Masterbuilt.
i.e. they keep the good stuff for the Masterbuilt pricing!

If you're referring to this in the For Sale section, the body wood is Pommele bubinga, which would not be available on the current Teambuilt versions.
I don't believe you can customise Teambuilt versions either. Certainly the price lists on the Warwick site suggest this is the case but others may know better.
Perhaps you could ask the seller to confirm the serial number and then insert that on the Warwick website to confirm the specification and the year of manufacture. Looks a nice bass though...

Yes, i was referring to this bass. But i have contacted the owner already, it is a Teambuilt. I was a bit confused because this is also a StarBass II, but a teambuilt, not a masterbuilt. I was also confused by the price, because they are £1555 new at Thomann. Maybe they lowered the price. Thank you for your answer! That explains a lot:)

Edited by Quasar79

29 minutes ago, Quasar79 said:

Yes, i was referring to this bass. But i have contacted the owner already, it is a Teambuilt. I was a bit confused because this is also a StarBass II, but a teambuilt, not a masterbuilt. I was also confused by the price, because they are £1555 new at Thomann. Maybe they lowered the price. Thank you for your answer! That explains a lot:)

I'd need to look it up (in work so being naughty already!) but I seem to recall that there isn't a Masterbuilt stock model of this bass, it's custom shop only, so there is the Teambuilt model and the cheaper Rockbass variant?

4 hours ago, Quasar79 said:

The Thomann price might be a good deal then.

Listing for Warwick Masterbuilt Star Bass II Bubinga matural transparent satin (bubinga one of the standard options for Masterbuilt so it seems)
http://www.warwickbass.com/en/Warwick---Products--Instruments--Customshop---Masterbuilt--Basic-Bass-Models--Star-Bass--Star-Bass--Star-Bass-4-String--Star-Bass-II-Bubinga--4-string--Pictures.html

Click on the buy button takes you to the Warwick online shop... but note this hyperlink then lists a natural transparent high polish finish and not satin
This is also a list price of Euro 6,169.00 https://shop.warwick.de/en/detail/index/sArticle/17613

• Like 1

It looks like it is an older StarBass II.

It definitely isn't a Masterbuilt and it's RRP would have been nothing like 6000 odd Euros, so don't worry, it wasn't that good a deal!!

I'm pretty sure I'm right that there didn't used to be a Masterbuilt version, however there now is, and the teambuilt is not a II and does not have bubinga, nor brass frets/nut anymore.

It probably was a nice example though, doubt there is much difference between it and the masterbuilt now.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/12/2020 at 17:57, Kev said:

Got a nice couple of shots in good light this morning, grain on this bass is unreal... 😁

F0198A0D-BCF4-4EDE-AC0D-3EF692AA6B56.thumb.jpeg.7c2bbe19d3dbcef230e637eea6133a54.jpeg
257644E7-0473-40CB-AE49-21402DF1B947.thumb.jpeg.0a827cac6d72eeecee1ebf21d2263941.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJbN_bBMB05/?igshid=1fpjx9s23j4nv

How well balanced is this bass? Any real issues with neck dive? I keep seeing photos of the Thumb bass and I must say it is quite possibly my next purchase... thanks!

10 hours ago, legalbass said:

How well balanced is this bass? Any real issues with neck dive? I keep seeing photos of the Thumb bass and I must say it is quite possibly my next purchase... thanks!

Pretty well balanced! Most of the neck dive issues you hear about with Thumb basses relate to the BO models in my experience.  This is my 4th NT and they’ve all balanced nicely 🙂. Definitely try before you buy though, Thumbs tend to me marmite basses to some.  I love them 😍