Why become a member? ×

warwick thread

budget bassist

• 2 weeks later...

I got a new Thumb 4-string two days ago. First bass I have owned since the late 1980s. Today is my first anniversary as a Basschat member, and it took me that long to settle on the right thing to buy.

It was absolutely worth the wait. It chimes like churchbells unplugged and loses nothing when amplified. I didn't expect such smooth, resonant warmth or harmonic complexity.

A fitting way to mark a year since I joined this truly remarkable site. (And many thanks to @Ricky 4000 for pointing me towards this thread.)

• Like 3

I found that too (a few more years ago though, got mine in 1988) - they sound like there's a built-in chorus, which I can only put down to the slanting bridge pickup as almost all my basses are twin pickup and none of the others (including the Corvette) do that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a serious hankering for acquiring a Thumb or a Streamer to complement my '97 Corvette. (One might call this GAS?).
I've prevously borrowed an early 90s neck through Thumb which I loved and had to return, but I've never spent any time with a Streamer.
Theres nothing currently in the classifieds here nor on the usual sale sites which are whetting my appetite.

Anyone have anything they're contemplating moving on?

A couple of gratuitous shots of my modded 2001 LX Streamer Jazzman (MIG), in French violet finish, which I got a couple of years ago on BC purely for a funk / disco / soul band project, but has proved to be the only “modern” bass able to tempt me away from my harem of vintage pre-1980’s lovelies.   

It was a decent enough bass as stock, but I made a couple of upgrade mods which have massively improved tone and playability:

• Original MEC pickups changed for Nordstrand Bigman (bridge MM type, with switching for parallel / series / single coil) and Bartolini b-axis (neck Jazz type).  The Seymour Duncan active circuit is excellent, but I’m tempted to put an East filter-based one in there.
  • Original ovangol neck swapped for wenge slim jazz-profile neck from my old ‘98  FNA Corvette.
  • Resin JAN2 nut swapped for brass JAN3 nut
  • Blue luminlay side fretboard markers fitted
  • Gold 3-band EQ knobs swapped for cocobolo knobs (intend to do the same with the stacked vol / blend knob)

0C825347-8535-4A65-9214-F2C520561609.jpeg

2CAB6B63-27A3-46A3-9501-8D145D112059.jpeg

ECE3675F-2013-4D94-ACD3-7A28F07AA407.jpeg

Edited by Shaggy
  • Like 4

I’m also back in the Warwick club, it’s been a few years since I sold my Streamer LX4. Then just as I was telling myself I didn’t need to buy any more gear as gigs are non existent, something I’ve always wanted suddenly appeared. I’ve wanted a Streamer Stage 1 in ocean blue for longer than I care to remember, and at last I have one. Hope 2elliot doesn’t mind me using his pics, I’ll edit/update when I take some more. 

04141909-954C-448C-8E77-491A4CF28A74.jpeg

96A5BFB6-2034-4AAD-9224-D112B503C07B.jpeg

Just now, ern500evo said:

They’re just stickers, in two minds whether to leave them on or take them off at the moment 

If they're well applied just leave them on, they look cool.

And, depending on how long they've been on and again their quality, they may be hiding sticker sized dark patches on the bass, which you wouldn't want to discover 😂

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

If they're well applied just leave them on, they look cool.

And, depending on how long they've been on and again their quality, they may be hiding sticker sized dark patches on the bass, which you wouldn't want to discover 😂

That’s a very good point! 😁

Thx for the feedback! The one on the left is Bolt On 5. Yes, it's brighter, more aggressive, and has more "in yer face punch". The Neck Thru is "wider", has more "rubber" & mid growl. I like the NT 5 (it cuts through the mix better for me) more what I'm playing, so I'm thinking of selling the BO...

Nice video man.

Two models that perfectly demonstrate the tone differences between BO and NT Thumb models.  BO with the brightness in the high mids and a “thinner” tone, NT with the deepness and more rounded highs, with growling mids.  Wonderful stuff.

Edited by Kev
  • Thanks 1

On 21/10/2020 at 16:52, SaimoN said:

Comparison of 2 Warwick Thumb basses - Bolt On & Neck Thru.
Hope this material will be helpful to someone!

That's a great video mate, very nicely executed. TBH I don't think there is much to choose between the two basses in terms of tone etc, just that great Warwick sound!  What interface were you using to record?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Risk101 said:

That's a great video mate, very nicely executed. TBH I don't think there is much to choose between the two basses in terms of tone etc, just that great Warwick sound!  What interface were you using to record?

Thx! I use E-MU 0404 USB soundcard. Signal paths for both basses:
1) Warwick - ISP Decimator II - TL Audio Ivory 5051 - DBX 1066 - EMU 0404
2) Warwick - ISP Decimator II - Ampeg SVP Pro - DBX 1066 - EMU 0404

• Like 1