Why become a member? ×

warwick thread

budget bassist

12 hours ago, Fionn said:

Could be a number of reasons for that, but it’s not the design of the pickup that is causing the buzzing.

I reckon it's the fact that the two coils go to the two EQ units and then to the pan pot >> volume pot. That's an unusual and separate signal path for each half of the pickup, and that may cause the noise..

Anyway, enough of me!

Back to the pretty Warwicks.. 

Guest Marcoelwray
3 hours ago, Risk101 said:

Talking of nice looking Warwicks, why did I sell this ?? !!!!! What an idiot !  (Pics courtesy of the Bass Direct wesbite sold items !)

front.jpg

Yes, indeed, WHY ? You fool! Best Pu set-up ever, hot like a dog, 5 strings, list goes on... Why? I'd sell a kidney for that one ! 😫

Guest Marcoelwray
15 minutes ago, Risk101 said:

I know, I know, but I did end up with this (after selling a kidney! ).......

Yeah yeah, infinity.... I could sell my wife for that. Krrrrrrrrr. But after messing around with Warwick for so many years, you know what? I'll go for a Rockbass Infinity. 

Don't take me wrong, it's a gorgeous bass, with finishings levels beyond ANY big brands ever. I totally envy you for owning such a masterpiece.

But, I think in my very intimate personal and humble opinion, that Warwick does a great job on LTDs edition. I'll swap this Infinity for your Thumb in 1 sec.

Honestly, despite the price side, is that infinity a million miles better from your former thumb? (Not asking about finishing, custom side, proudness of owning this, but in the "shed", what's the pros and cons?)

My English is sometimes basic so I insist on the fact I am totally in love with Infinity. Yours is..... Sexual. But I'm just trying to share a thought.... No offense.

Edited by Marcoelwray

Ha ha - actually, there is a lot in what you say.

As you can tell, I love a nice bit of birds-eye maple or poplar burl. This (nearly 10 years old) Infinity actually has quite a "dark" (almost sinister!) sound/tone when you get on to the E & B strings which I love and I've been doing some material for which it is perfect. However, I had to save up and sell alot of stuff to raise the cash, and no, it isn't worth the extra money over the Ltd Thumb which I should never have sold !

The other downside is the ergonomics because due to the strap positions and the 3 piece neck, you end up with a long stretch to the bottom frets, much more so than on the Thumb (as far as I can recall).

So it is really a mix of a beautiful piece of art/craftsmanship and also an instrument (in that order), and for that reason you still need another bass for the more "regular" things, so my old Fender Jazz 5 does that.

Guest Marcoelwray

@Risk101 thanks for understanding me.

Could you recall me the year of this LTD? I had to put on the top 5 of my GAS list. (If I could I'll put all LTD editions on it...)

Thumb ergonomics are not ideal neither, hence the first bass on my GAS list; Dolphin.

I'd love to hear how it sounds like!!

Ha! Yes seated the Infinity is fine, although the side dots are almost invisible so with no fret inlays either, a bit of a nightmare in a darkened auditorium!!  

Marcoelwray - the Thumb "Dirty Blonde" Ltd Edition is 2006. I've seen them pop up very occasionally on Ebay Kleinanzeigen (which is actually where I got mine from!)..........before I sold it two years later!

On 28/11/2018 at 13:51, Marcoelwray said:

I didn't get "buffer" (sorry English isn't my native language)...

But for the details in my method;

I use Teak Oil, like on the basses I build. After between 2 - 4 coats I let it dry for about 48h. Then I sand with 400 grit and clean with a microfiber. I use another wax, it's a blend with beewax and "candellila" (wtf is that?) wax. I use a car polishing machine to get a smooth surface. After this I usually polish all the bass by hand with a piece of jeans, or any "hard" cloth.

As for the frets, I correct the most obvious used parts with the 400 grit by hand, then I use a 3M sanding block which is close to 000 grit. I carefully use the Sidol because it's the BEST product ever for brass, copper, etc.. gives a mirror finish in few secs. I clean (if necessary) the fretboard with aceton, which is perfect to get rid of last dirty marks.

On the pickups I use WD-40, let dry, wipe off, to get back this genuine pure black finish (really useful on pickups with matt finish). Oh, and it seems that oiling the black plate on the head gives also a nice black.

If you have some questions I'll be happy to help.

Indeed for that Thumb, Bubinga can go mystical sometimes! :)

F. Masterman, Dolphin are on my GAS list. @Lfalex v1.1 this specimen is quite nice!

Hello again and thank you for the info.

I have used Danish oil myself in a similar process to how you use Teak oil, to refinish a bass before and loved the result - see here:

But for Warwicks and because I am all about the detail i make sure i always use the Warwick wax to refinish the body and neck. I had to try a few different methods to make sure it was being applied melted as they do in the factory but now I am happy I am getting the best results and will post a few pics shortly.

Your tip on the pickups is very interesting, I have never heard of this before and I will be sure to try it next time thank you!

I don't have anywhere inside to work on my guitars other than my kitchen so any sanding has to wait until nicer weather so I can do it in my garden lol.

Which 3M sanding blocks to you use? I found some 3M sanding pads(very thin blocks) recently and they are incredible! So much better than sandpaper especially for curvy and contoured bodies like Warwicks!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dyerseve said:

Just in case you didn't already miss your dirty blonde Thumb too much already, here is one being put to very good use on YouTube (If you think this is going to be just another cover, skip to 2:39 and thank me later): 

Great playing mate, and yes, it sounds exactly as I remember 😥although I've never been into that type of music (but can still appreciate it !!).    Hmmm wonder if I can get some inlays on the Infinity !!! ?!

6 minutes ago, Risk101 said:

Great playing mate, and yes, it sounds exactly as I remember 😥although I've never been into that type of music (but can still appreciate it !!).    Hmmm wonder if I can get some inlays on the Infinity !!! ?!

Glad you liked it. That is a song by one of my fav bands and so I was just interested in watching him do a regular cover of the song but then he just took it to another level and made it his own! Combine his incredible playing and the tone from the DB Thumb and you're in heaven!

Mate your Infinity is absolutely stunning just the way it is! You just need to adjust to it fully and then the GAS will slowly subside...

That s what I keep telling myself lol

Guest Marcoelwray
37 minutes ago, Risk101 said:

Nah, you can't. You shouldn't sold this baby. Punishment. 👹

Edited by Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray

Lovely. I can't get rid of (off?) Thumb basses. Ovangkol, Bubinga, they're all beautiful.

One day, I'll own a Figured Bubinga Thumb NT5 broadneck (masterbuilt of course). One day. It's just 5000 euros.

And I will laugh loud at Mayones.

1 hour ago, Marcoelwray said:

Lovely. I can't get rid of (off?) Thumb basses. Ovangkol, Bubinga, they're all beautiful.

One day, I'll own a Figured Bubinga Thumb NT5 broadneck (masterbuilt of course). One day. It's just 5000 euros.

And I will laugh loud at Mayones.

Thanks. I'm not a pro like yourself so I was really proud of the Thumb re finish but they all were fun to work on in their own way. 

Btw, that shot of the frets above was just to give you an idea of how good they can look just using the wire wool I mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a Thumb NT with a broadneck unless it is a custom option. I always wanted one of them myself as I love the broadneck 1990 Streamer Stage 1 that I have. 

I also refinished the Stage 1 so here's a quick pic 

20180923_193403.jpg

20180923_193525.jpg

Edited by dyerseve

Guest Marcoelwray

@dyerseve  I'm not a pro, but I start to offer my services...

There is just one thing I don't like about your refins, but it's personal tastes, when I work on WW, I like to leave a satin finish almost like raw wood... Yours is more shiny. I insist on the fact that is totally my humble opinion.

I'll try hard to be at the next London Bass Show, with a friend, we are currently looking for a sort of package including train, tickets and a place to sleep.... Maybe we will meet there? I will post on "Events" to know about that.

I could live with the "simple" NT5 masterbuilt :)

your stage I is gorgeous!

@dyerseve lovely job of the refinishing!!

As I've posted before I'm a big fan of Wicks but can't afford to buy a real one so I'm starting to do an Ash body $$ corvette type build and really want to do it Nirvana Black

Out of interest have you ever refinished any basses in Nirvana Black because whatever I try comes out a really dark brown and I can't seem to find where I can source anything that reassembles the right colour ??

I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree but is a dyed finish not a nitro finish?? 😀

Edited by Jimothey

17 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

As I've posted before I'm a big fan of Wicks but can't afford to buy a real one so I'm starting to do an Ash body $$ corvette type build and really want to do it Nirvana Black

Out of interest have you ever refinished any basses in Nirvana Black because whatever I try comes out a really dark brown and I can't seem to find where I can source anything that reassembles the right colour ??

I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree but is a dyed finish not a nitro finish?? 😀

Thanks mate. Unfortunately no I have always steered away from the coloured Warwicks as I prefer the natural colour of the wood so I'm unable to help. I'm sure Marco or another member here may be able to help or failing that if you email Warwick or post a thread on the Warwick website I'm sure you will get the details you need.

• Thanks 1

Guest Marcoelwray
1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

Worth a try. I have already stained but never to get a nirvana black. I can't guarantee you the 100% authentic colour, but very close to it.

I'll let you see.... I guess the body is ready (perfect condition) or it needs some care?

On 28/11/2018 at 13:12, dyerseve said:

btw, sadly not mine, but this is probably the best looking thumb i have ever seen!

s-l1600.jpg

This is a vintage Thumb, I had a 5 string with the same bridge and EMG set up, made in 87 I think, one of the first 5 strings. They really were something special. Sold mine to a collector in the states, and still wish I hadn't. I've got some pics somewhere I'll see if I can't find them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterMute said:

This is a vintage Thumb, I had a 5 string with the same bridge and EMG set up, made in 87 I think, one of the first 5 strings. They really were something special. Sold mine to a collector in the states, and still wish I hadn't. I've got some pics somewhere I'll see if I can't find them.

What on earth possessed you to sell it???

Would love to see some pics if you can find them.

One of my favourite bass players uses a 5 string JD Thumb from the same era but his has the Warwick 3D bridge rather than the Schaller one as pictured on that 4 string.

The tone of those early Thumbs is to die for!

Edited by dyerseve

On 30/11/2018 at 22:20, Marcoelwray said:

@dyerseve  I'm not a pro, but I start to offer my services...

There is just one thing I don't like about your refins, but it's personal tastes, when I work on WW, I like to leave a satin finish almost like raw wood... Yours is more shiny. I insist on the fact that is totally my humble opinion.

I'll try hard to be at the next London Bass Show, with a friend, we are currently looking for a sort of package including train, tickets and a place to sleep.... Maybe we will meet there? I will post on "Events" to know about that.

I could live with the "simple" NT5 masterbuilt :)

your stage I is gorgeous!

I think it might just be the light that is fooling you in to thinking the finish is shiny.

I always try to get the bright sunlight light reflecting off the basses when photographing them to highlight the wood grain.

Here is the latest one I finished:

20181108_105642.jpg

Edited by dyerseve
  • Like 2

I agree, @Marcoelwray, I don't like the really shiney finish some people get when finishing Warwicks with lacquer.

But, I too have worked on a few Warwicks and I'd say the finish that @dyerseve has is about the same finish as I've had. I sand to about 1500 grit and use Boiled Linseed Oil, which I wipe off and buff up, then use beeswax to finish. I don't get a gloss finish, but there is a silk-sheen to some of them. The actual finish is dependent on the type of wood.

Ash stays very matt, yet Bubinga, Maple and Ovangkol get a bit of a sheen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dyerseve said:

What on earth possessed you to sell it???

Would love to see some pics if you can find them.

One of my favourite bass players uses a 5 string JD Thumb from the same era but his has the Warwick 3D bridge rather than the Schaller one as pictured on that 4 string.

The tone of those early Thumbs is to die for!

Just wasn't using it, didn't think I'd get back to playing, then 3 years later ended up back onstage and recording again... usual story. 

I'm playing Musicman SR5's and Bongos now, and the music I'm playing suits the Stingray tone better I think, so it all worked out in the end.

I'll dig those pics out tonight, mine had the gold hardware, but the same Schaller bridge and picks-ups.