Why become a member? ×

refinishing a precision neck

emyrarall

I have a '76 Precision with a rosewood neck. The back of the neck (not the rosewood) has become pitted and dirty along its lower edge due to my sweaty little hands. I'd like to do a simple repair job without rubbing the whole of the back of the neck down. These necks have quite a heavy gloosy varnish. Will I get away with just rubbing down the section that's worn ? and if so what would be the best product to refinish it with ?

Any tips much appreciated. It's a great instrument and a very old friend - I'm nervous that I might turn a drama into a crisis !

Thanks - Emyr

[attachment=27495:IMG_1898.jpg]

rosewood fingerboard, maple neck, I think you mean.
Hmm, no - to clean and refinish without sanding off the lacquer in the affected area is not feasible. To repatch once the lacquer is removed is tricky - it will leave a mark. If it were a workhorse instrumnet and not a priceless relic I'd remove the lacquer (personal taste) clean up the blemishes then go for a tru-oil finish.

Thanks Gents,

These are just the kind of issues I'm concerned about. The bass is in very good original condition, must be quite valuable, but I've owned it since about 1980 (when I was fourteen) so I could never part with it now. I understand what you mean about 'mojo' and other pieces of cosmetic wear on the instrument don't bother me at all. However I find this constant 'roughness' under my left hand really disturbing.

I took the neck off the bass last night and I think I may go ahead and sand it down, leaving the laquer on the headstock only. I've just bought a Musicman Sterling so I'm familiar with the tru-oil option. Rather than go for this product (that seems to contain a lot of chemical nasties and is also used as a 'gun' oil - bad karma), I thought I might use tung oil which is danish oil without the quick drying nasties. I think this is the finish used on Warwick basses ?

I also happen to already have a tin of this.

Any thoughts? - Emyr

When i stripped tha lacquer off a neck, I used wire wool (00000 grade) to give it a very smooth finish, then a small amount of danish oil to seal it, you might find that tung oil is quite thick compared to tru oil and danish oil unless you thin it down with turpentine

Edited by spree

I was just about to start sanding and I noticed the side dots on the top of the neck. Are these inlaid or are they merely stuck on and varnished over? If that's the case then they'll disappear once I sand the neck. I've found this place for replacement inlays
[url="http://www.smallwonder-music.co.uk/shop/default.asp"]http://www.smallwonder-music.co.uk/shop/default.asp[/url]?
I'd just like to know what I'm letting myself in for.....

Edited by emyrarall