Why become a member? ×

Is an Ampeg V4b as loud as an svt 3 pro?!?!

ben604

I think there would be similarities in the tone.. (The Ampeg dirt, maybe) but these 2 really are different beasts. The preamp section alone is very different.

An SVT 2 pro would sound more similar to the SVT 3 I think. As loud? mmm.. I think the V4 may *sound* louder.

My V4 is ungodly loud - tone will be very different though. Very simple preamp (good range of tones mind you) so any of the 'grit' or 'warmth' or whatever will come from the valves - there is no drive control!

If you're anywhere near Brum - bring that SVT3 up and we can compare (ooh er).

I used to own a SVT3PRO & now own a modern V4BH-100w all valve. I think -thru an efficient cab/s the V4 can be plenty loud- IMHO about as loud as the 3pro- but with that volume-U get some (IMHO lovely tube break up/overdrive)- where-as the 3pro, with it's solid state power section, you'll get a clean tone up to the (approx.)same volume. As said above- VERY different beasts... I think the 2PRO is more like the V4 as it's got the tube power amp as well as pre. The 3PRO has the nice warm AMPEG tone, but is NOTHING like all valve tone IME!!!! I LIKED the 3PRO- darn good amp, but I needed to get back 2 me roots- which was all valve-pre & power amps. The V4 will struggle for volume unless U R using plenty of speaker volume &/or an efficient spkr cab. Thru my Bergantino NV610 it's PLENTY loud. Thru a single 12" (Aguilar GS112) it doesn't go THAT loud. IMHO- U need at least a good 4x10", or a 15" & a 2x10/4x10 etc.. to get the best outta the V4. But it sure is a LOVELY sound when it's running-the V4B!!!!