Why become a member? ×

My experience of La Bella Flatwounds

Monz

I think there was a special run of dudepit flats made by LaBella once specifically for string-thru 50s style fenders, where the winding was wound at more of an angle so the windings looked more *diagonal* on the string. I think this was the result of a fair bit of trial & error. LaBella could probably have developed this into a new product line, but I don't think they so perhaps it didnt actually help much.

I have TI JF324 on my mustang and they have no problem with the string-thru bridge. I also have a set of TI JF345 on my peavey 5er with string thru with no problems.

[quote name='RhysP' post='518731' date='Jun 19 2009, 06:56 PM']Did the guy from Stringbusters mean ALL LaBella strings or just the flatwounds?
Just curious as I've used LaBella Slappers for a few years now & I've never had any problems at all.[/quote]

We were discussing my needs for flatwound strings so I would summise just the DT flats

I'm quite disapointed actually because I've just had a couple of hours practice with them using one of the old EB G strings to replace the La Bella and they sound fantastic on the bottom 4 strings.... just sounds a little strange when I jump onto the G :) I love the tension on the E and B string

If anyone has an old non faulty G La Bella that is going to the bash tomorrow, could they take it with them please :rolleyes:

[quote name='Monz' post='518154' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:27 AM']After reading the experiences and glowing reports of La Bella flatwound strings I took the plunge and ordered some from stringbusters...

So they arrive very promptly from stringbusters and like a giddy schoolkid I put them on my stingray, immediately I notice the B string is stepped at the bridge so lift the saddle to compensate and all is good and they sound great apart from fret buzz on the G string so I lift the saddle a little and still it buzzes, so I lift it a little more and guess what? yes it still buzzes. So now the G string is quite a lot higher than the rest of the strings.

Now I'm not the sharpest tool in the toolbox at times but even I was starting to think there must be something amiss here as none of the other strings are having problems. Get on the phone to stringbusters and explain my problem. Without missing a beat they offer to replace them but the guy also tells me this is not uncommon for La Bella strings. The upshot of this is I now have a set of Thomastic flats on the way and I don't think I will bother with the world famous LaBella flats again if their QC is that poor.

I must mention how good stringbusters customer services are though... very helpfull and quick to offer a solution, oh and honest which goes a long way in my book

Waits with bated breath... again[/quote]

TI's rule..ok?

[quote name='Beedster' post='518180' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:54 AM']Bad QC? Part of bass culture, EB and Fender being the leading proponents :)[/quote]

Never had a QC problem with EB or Fender flats - Ive had problems with 3 sets of LaBella......

I too find TI's way too slack. Ive got EB 110's on my Precisions, including strung through on a 51 RI and a 2002 - 78 through the bridge.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='518439' date='Jun 19 2009, 02:51 PM']Jumping in here...

Because the strings are very tightly wound and stiff, the break-angle over the saddles can break either the core or the windings, or both, depending on how unlucky you are. I've seen a few threads on Talkbass about this, and some people have managed to string La Bellas through the body for years without trouble. Others have a very expensive experience the first time out.

That's just from what I've read. I've never tried La Bellas myself, and if I did, I wouldn't string them through the body. Too risky at that price.

Of course, the black nylon tapes might be a completely different story. I'm pretty sure the Deep Talkin' flats have a warning on the packet telling you not to string them through, so if your black set doesn't have a warning, you might be in the clear. :)[/quote]

[quote name='Beedster' post='518444' date='Jun 19 2009, 02:52 PM']Hi mate
I was talking about Deep Talkers above, not sure about tapes. There's a thread in 'Repairs and Technical' which I think I resolved pretty conclusively for the negative with a photo of a La Bella DT E string that lasted 3 minutes strung through the body. Trust me, they don't like the angle! If I can find the thread I'll stick a link here
Chris[/quote]

Thanks very much, gents.

I have a set of Deep Talkin' black nylon tapewound 760N.

There's no warning on the packet other than to say "[b]VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE: Wind only the silk end portion[/b] of the string into the machine head post. If you [b]wind the metal wound portion [/b]of the string into the machine head post, the string will almost certainly break."

I will contact La Bella and see if I can get any answers.

Thanks again.

Got a quick answer whick bears out Beedster's experience ..

Hello,

I have just bought a set of your Deep Talkin' black nylon tapewound 760N. (I have also used your Deep Talkin' flatwounds in the past). I have yet to put them on my fretless electric bass.

My fretless electric bass is string through body, and I have just been told there are risks with the above strings coming apart at the bridge where they come through the body, because of the sharp break angle from the body holes to the saddles.

Would you kindly confirm if this is true please. I really like your strings and don't want to have to find an alternative.

------------------------------------------------------------

The facts ring true as to the thru body experiences.

However, the set you are writing of is not a flatwound steel set on the outside wrap.

It should work easily thru the body. There may be an issue with length….., so you could order an xl set whichhas the a nd e a bit longer.

Caution is to see if the strings when put thru the body will have the winding reach over the nut.

Another Caution will be the fitting of the string so that it will not bind at the nut, as it will cut and unravel.

If you live in the States give me a call at 1-800-750-3034

Robert A. Archigian
Director of Sales
La Bella Strings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='521845' date='Jun 23 2009, 04:44 PM']I like dealing with firms where a simple support question gets a straight answer from the Sales Director.

Customer Service remains king.[/quote]

+1

The USA has the best and worst, the above clearly some of the best, as are Modulus and a lot of the retailers, but have you ever tried Leo Quan, Darkstar, Fender?

I'm just breaking in a set of Pyramid Gold flats on my P at the moment, they're fantastic. I've not tried LaBellas, but these are supposed to have all the thump of the LaBellas but with a lot more going on in the midrange. They also sound broken in immediately (unlike the Chromes I tried previously) and apparently stay sounding like that for a long time without getting excessively dull.

Edited by dannybuoy

I was about to say has anyone tried Pyramid Golds yet? They're pricey but I'm thinking of putting a set on my Dark Star'd Warmoth. I think the Dark Star and flats would be made for each other. I've Used TI's that are great, La Bella likewise and I do love the cheaper option of Ernie Balls. Just thought the Pyramid might be worth a go. They're supposed to be ultra flexible and were used by Jack Casedy and co.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='silddx' post='518383' date='Jun 19 2009, 01:47 PM']sh*te, I have some £50 La Bella black tapes ready for when I get my Kopo back, which is string through. What's the issue Chris?[/quote]
I think the tapes are constructed differently - nylon over a r/w string I think.

FWIW, I have a Rob Allen Deep 5 bass and that is strung through-body with labella black tapes with no problem. Rob Allen supplies these strings as standard on his basses so he must be happy.

It has to be said though that the deep 5 is a far from conventional bass -- [url="http://www.roballenguitars.com/info_deep.html"]http://www.roballenguitars.com/info_deep.html[/url]

On the other hand, tight angles and true flatwounds do not mix ... I had a Labella 'E' break on fitting it to a short-scale bass where the normal part of the string (i.e. not the silks) went round the tuning post.

Andy

have currently got a set of these on my bass, which sounds awesome. however, was wondering if anyone else found that the silk park is stupidly long? it ended going round each of my tuners a good 9 times. in theory i could have somehow cut the end of, but at uni all i had was a pair of scissors.

[quote name='Zach' post='533081' date='Jul 5 2009, 03:24 PM']have currently got a set of these on my bass, which sounds awesome. however, was wondering if anyone else found that the silk park is stupidly long? it ended going round each of my tuners a good 9 times. in theory i could have somehow cut the end of, but at uni all i had was a pair of scissors.[/quote]
I've never in my life put a set of strings on a bass without cutting the ends. Not saying 'It's the law' or anything but I always do it. Buy yourself a small set of cutters (not expensive from a tool shop) and keep in your bass case or gig toolkit.

Andy

• 11 years later...

Id like to add to this and say i have had the exact same issue with about 10 sets of La Bella strings in the last 2 years. The sets I tried were 760fl, 760fs, 760fx and the LTFs. After about £500 spent desperately trying to find a set that worked, i have ONE SET of LTFs that work without a dodgy buzzing string that buzzes even at maxed action. La Bella sent replacements at first but when they were also faulty (either the same string buzzing or both G and D strings buzzing) they just started ignoring my emails. This company has literally just taken £500 and i have probably 9 faulty products at the end of it, and La Bella are now ghosting me. Dodgy AF company if you ask me, prepare for disappointment if buying their strings.

5 hours ago, Freud_Chicken123 said:

Id like to add to this and say i have had the exact same issue with about 10 sets of La Bella strings in the last 2 years. The sets I tried were 760fl, 760fs, 760fx and the LTFs. After about £500 spent desperately trying to find a set that worked, i have ONE SET of LTFs that work without a dodgy buzzing string that buzzes even at maxed action. La Bella sent replacements at first but when they were also faulty (either the same string buzzing or both G and D strings buzzing) they just started ignoring my emails. This company has literally just taken £500 and i have probably 9 faulty products at the end of it, and La Bella are now ghosting me. Dodgy AF company if you ask me, prepare for disappointment if buying their strings.

Have you genuinely searched for, and resurrected, an 11 year old thread to reiterate a point you’ve made in another thread you started?

I would ask the same question as the other thread though (which you’ve not answered). Why, when you stated you had no issues with multiple other string brands, would you continue to then spend £500 on 10 more sets of strings?

Definitely not a dodgy company, I’ve never been disappointed by their strings....and I’ve bought many more than you.

Si

• Like 2

I would endorse what you are saying Sibob  I would have at least taken the 3 rd set and the Bass along to a guitar tech and asked him to put them on and explain the problems and see if it is Bass related then you would have a second professional opinion to put back to the company if he thinks it is a string issue.

I bought a Fender CS 62 P bass a couple of years ago and so but La Bella flats on, no problems love them very addictive. didn't like TI's on previous P bass some years earlier.

I have previously gone through every nylon coated flat wound string available for my Status Electro, finally settling on La Bella clear nylon wound, as the best, this was due to feel, tone and attack not faults.  Just added this for anyone thinking of going through this expensive experimentation. I did however pass on all the other string when selling the bass some years later just in case it was a personal thing. 

25 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Im sure this has already been said but pretty sure LB's arent long enough for a Stingray...hence the probs?

La Bella supply a full document on their website which highlights all the lengths of their various strings. It’s HERE if interested.

As Stingrays are thru-body, it might be that extra-long are needed, and if using flats, the player will need their special thru-body flats.

Basically La Bella make everything that’s needed for almost every type of bass, the onus is on the player to buy the right strings.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1