Why become a member? ×

Modifying cabs...

razzthekid88

I've recently completed my dream rig with a new Bergantino NV610. To make transporting it a bit easier though I wanted to add some skid rails to the back but am completely clueless about these things and wondered if anyone has any experience in this? I don't want to go screwing rails into the back and risk damaging the cab without getting a bit of info first. Also can anyone suggest a way of adding something to the top of the cab to hold my head in place? I have an Ampeg SVT-AV and the 610 I used before had handy little pots to fit the rubber feet on the head into.
Any help or advice would be ace.
Cheers

CONGRATS on grabbing a NV610 SUPERB cab!!!!! hard to beat!
I did this to BOTH my NV610 & NV215 & it makes life MUCH easier. I simply bought recycled plastic garden stakes from a garden supplier-these are solid plastic, & are not that brittle plastic-rather quite malleable(well sorta) & are perfect for drilling etc.. I cut the ends into a gradual slope to meet the cab, countersunk 5 or so holes & simply srewed 'em into the rear of the cabs,. the stakes are about $4.00 ea. (about 2UKP)

Here's a thread at TB re... but I think the stakes are the end result on this too????? good luck!
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340786&highlight=skid+rails+nv610"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...kid+rails+nv610[/url]

There's something i got told a while ago about it not being all that good for speakers to travel on their back or front. i.e. Gravity pulling the cones in one direction, sudden jolts in the car from the road and causing damage over time. It's always best to travel with the cab on it's side. Well any speaker on it's side.

Has anyone else herd anything like this?

One thing comes to mind is well speaker's in the back of the car are facing up. Hum......... :)

Oh it is early so i may be missing the point of the rails and it's just for getting it in and out of the car/van ect. ^_^ I stick an old feather cusion over the back of the car and tilt my cab in and then slide in up behind the two front seats. :rolleyes: Hay presto! it's like having a big square guy sat across the back seats..........

...................I'll get my coat.........

You may find that it doesn't quite use the floor in th same way it used to and lose some bass. If that happens, make a giant 'skateboard' with a plank and 4 castors and just whack the cab on that when you transport it! Works a treat.... except on outdoor gigs where you have to take the cab along 100m of grass to get to the stage :)

I've heard ZERO difference in sound since I did this. I even recorded the NV215 I did it to- which was after the 610. & BOTH recordings sound identicle- to MY EARS at least. I didn't screw thru the rear at all. &the 7/8th" rails do NO sound differing AFAIK

Goodluck!