Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot V6 and matching 4 x 12 with horn

mr gig

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='54715' date='Sep 3 2007, 01:22 PM']I SO didn't need to read that! :huh: I missed out on a metal grilled one on Ebay a couple of weeks ago which went for fairly reasonable money because I prevaricated. :) Oh well, hopefully a pair of Acmes will be coming soon. :huh:[/quote]

MB1. :huh:

Prevaricated,..... sounds painful!

[quote name='paul, the' post='54731' date='Sep 3 2007, 01:41 PM']I've never played through a 412. I really really want to.[/quote]
They are a great allrounder for a 4 string bass. Maybe not quite the bass extension you need for a 5 string. I guess they have a better midrange than 15s and not the bass wooliness of 10s.

[quote name='mr gig' date='Sep 4 2007, 02:31 AM' post='55069']
They are a great allrounder for a 4 string bass. Maybe not quite the bass extension you need for a 5 string. I guess they have a better midrange than 15s and not the bass wooliness of 10s.

MB1. :)
Do like the valve idea, how would this amp compare with a Ampeg SVT?

[quote name='mr gig' post='55069' date='Sep 4 2007, 02:31 AM']They are a great allrounder for a 4 string bass. Maybe not quite the bass extension you need for a 5 string. I guess they have a better midrange than 15s and not the bass wooliness of 10s.

MB1. :)
Do like the valve idea, how would this amp compare with a Ampeg SVT?[/quote]

Been a few years since I played through an SVT, but I would reckon the Trace to be smoother and warmer, like a super loud Fender Bassman. The SVT is harsher and full in yer face. They are as loud as eachother, I would say. That means very loud!! :huh:

[quote name='Gwilym' post='55556' date='Sep 4 2007, 09:39 PM']hi mr gig,
i'm assuming you are not going to split this lot?
possibly interested in the head on it's own. don't think my back would take the cab... :)
cheers
G[/quote]
Hi Gwilym,
The head on it's own - £800. They usually go for a bit more than that these days and will only increase in value as long as you don't modify it.
Mr Gig

[quote name='TPJ' post='55723' date='Sep 5 2007, 08:58 AM']Hi,

Have you had any issues at all with this amp? Is it all in good working condition, serviced etc...?

Cheers,[/quote]
Hi M8,
It was totally untouched by the previous owner, who had the pair from new, and the only thing I've done to it is to increase the mains inlet fuse from 5 amp to 6.3 amps as the previous owner said they failed from time to time. I reckon the amp will draw huge peaks if you play it very loud and the 5amp fuse was marginal. Since then, not a problem at all. All valves are original! I can replace the ECC83s for free if you like and give you the originals. I haven't serviced it. Being an engineer, I use the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". All a serviceman would do for a basic service is change the valves and clean up the pots and inspect/clean up inside. It has never had a lot of use, judging by the condition of the covering on the amp and cab, so the output valves should be good for ages yet. A preamp valve announces failure very obviously, but they are so cheap they're worth replacing every year or so, hence my offer to change em for you.
Mr Gig

[quote name='Gwilym' post='55556' date='Sep 4 2007, 09:39 PM']hi mr gig,
i'm assuming you are not going to split this lot?
possibly interested in the head on it's own. don't think my back would take the cab... :)
cheers
G[/quote]
It would be nice to see them stay married to eachother, but a quickie divorce would be ok!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mr gig' post='55899' date='Sep 5 2007, 01:02 PM']Hi M8,
It was totally untouched by the previous owner, who had the pair from new, and the only thing I've done to it is to increase the mains inlet fuse from 5 amp to 6.3 amps as the previous owner said they failed from time to time. I reckon the amp will draw huge peaks if you play it very loud and the 5amp fuse was marginal. Since then, not a problem at all. All valves are original! I can replace the ECC83s for free if you like and give you the originals. I haven't serviced it. Being an engineer, I use the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". All a serviceman would do for a basic service is change the valves and clean up the pots and inspect/clean up inside. It has never had a lot of use, judging by the condition of the covering on the amp and cab, so the output valves should be good for ages yet. A preamp valve announces failure very obviously, but they are so cheap they're worth replacing every year or so, hence my offer to change em for you.
Mr Gig[/quote]
I guess there are no takers then!

[quote name='mr gig' post='67952' date='Oct 1 2007, 12:30 AM']I guess there are no takers then![/quote]
Consider it sold mate. You should have a message with my email address heading your way cause I don't check this site very often. That is assuming of course you still have the rig!

Fingers crossed.. :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Robin' post='68832' date='Oct 2 2007, 08:48 PM']Consider it sold mate. You should have a message with my email address heading your way cause I don't check this site very often. That is assuming of course you still have the rig!

Fingers crossed.. :)[/quote]
Now listed on Ebay for all you bargain hunters!

Edited by mr gig

• 2 weeks later...