Why become a member? ×

If there was ever a bass you wanted...

EBS_freak

Can I have an effect?

A genuine Pearce BC1 Pre amp with the 2stage Sheehan distortion mod,and HUSH....I'd like a pair of Glockenklang cabs..ANOTHER P/U on the P-Bass linked to some mean ass distortomatic effects....sizzle the stage!

Oh and I still think about having an 11 string............

[quote name='ARGH' post='518987' date='Jun 20 2009, 12:04 AM']Can I have an effect?

A genuine Pearce BC1 Pre amp with the 2stage Sheehan distortion mod,and HUSH..[/quote]

That makes 2 of us...

I had a chance to buy one, cheap, years ago but didn't.

I'd also like my Trace Elliot MP11 back (I got it from Funky Junk and apparently was part of Entwistle's set up, it had been modified for rear inputs). I sent it in to a place for a service, the shop went bankrupt and took my MP11 with it. :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='515380' date='Jun 16 2009, 03:37 PM']who's would it be?

I don't know -maybe Macca's Hofner? Marcus' jazz? Jaco's BOD? Pino's P (or equally his fretted Ray...!)

It doesn't even have to be as famous as that... maybe a bass that was used to record a particular song?[/quote]

always a wal

I would probably go for the worlds most expensive bass.

The $250,000 bass guitar, The Ritter Royal Flora Aurum, was built by Jens Ritter, a luthier, or stringed instrument maker, from Germany.

This luxurious bass has a body carved from a rare, solid piece of maple while the nut is carved from 10,000-year-old mammoth ivory.

The fingerboard is decorated with a floral inlay pattern made of 24-karat gold. There’s even a black diamond set in platinum decorating each leaf.

The bridge, tuner buttons and knobs are cast in gold. The knobs hold an additional embellishment: they are both topped with brilliant-cut diamonds (3.3 carats).

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='519620' date='Jun 20 2009, 09:22 PM']I would probably go for the worlds most expensive bass.

The $250,000 bass guitar, The Ritter Royal Flora Aurum, was built by Jens Ritter, a luthier, or stringed instrument maker, from Germany.

This luxurious bass has a body carved from a rare, solid piece of maple while the nut is carved from 10,000-year-old mammoth ivory.

The fingerboard is decorated with a floral inlay pattern made of 24-karat gold. There’s even a black diamond set in platinum decorating each leaf.

The bridge, tuner buttons and knobs are cast in gold. The knobs hold an additional embellishment: they are both topped with brilliant-cut diamonds (3.3 carats).[/quote]

Sounds very tacky... :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='519620' date='Jun 20 2009, 09:22 PM']I would probably go for the worlds most expensive bass.

The $250,000 bass guitar, The Ritter Royal Flora Aurum, ...[/quote]
From the [url="http://www.ritter-royals.com/instruments-available.php"]website[/url] it says it's "on hold". So you decided to put a deposit on it after all?

And for me it would be a Zon Hyperbass (as long as it comes with lessons from Manring) :)

• 4 years later...

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1245163620' post='515397']
... and whatever Entwistle used on 'My Generation'.
[/quote]

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1245166740' post='515451']
That was a Fender Jazz - with flatwounds on!!!

Read it in an old interview in Bassist mag many moons ago. (or it might have been Beat Instrumental).
[/quote]

[quote]
On the recording of My Generation:
“I bought this Danelectro bass and it had these tiny, thin wirewound strings on. They were so thin, they sounded just like a piano, an unbelievably clear sound. The only thing was that you couldn’t buy these strings. When we recorded ‘My Generation’ I ended up with three of these Danelectros just for the strings. The last one I had, the string busted before we actually got into the studio to re-record it, so I did it on a Fender Jazz in the end with tape-wound La Bella strings.”
“I played that solo on a Jazz bass with tapewound strings through a Marshall 50 watt and 4x12. Interestingly, the bass solos on the earlier takes were much more complicated, and played on a Danelectro which had a much more piano-like sound. It was a medium scale bass with a two-octave neck. The trouble was that the strings were so thin that I kept breaking them. We’d record during the day and, to finance the sessions, we were playing gigs nearly every night, and inevitably I’d break a string. None of the music shops had any replacement strings and no string manufacturers made replacement strings thin enough for Dano basses then, so I had to go down to Marshall’s and buy a new Dano for £60. I ended up with three new Danelectros, all with busted strings! In the end I busted my last string at the third attempt and there weren’t any more in the country. I thought, ‘f*** it’, and went and bought myself a Fender Jazz bass and a set of La Bella strings, and played the solo with that. But it was a different sound and a simplified, slowed-down version of the solos on previous takes.” [url="http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/bass/bass6066.html"]http://www.thewho.ne...s/bass6066.html[/url] [/quote]

wouldnt mind rutherfords double shergold or an original zemaitis metal front LP shaped bass

[url="http://youtu.be/GZpVuLfBCYQ"]http://youtu.be/GZpVuLfBCYQ[/url]

[media]http://youtu.be/s-c8X52Qg4o[/media]

Edited by steve-bbb

this feels a bit like an offshoot of the 5 basses to play before you die thread. Although I'd very much like to try many of the above, I'm not sure that if I owned them I'd play them enough. So for me something homegrown (ish)

[attachment=138976:ACG 126 01.jpg]

Could be tempted by one of Les Claypole's fretless basses though.

Edited by ead

I quite like Jazz Basses, so maybe I'd get one of those.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1245529325' post='519620']... The Ritter Royal Flora Aurum, was built by Jens Ritter, a luthier, or stringed instrument maker, from Germany.

This luxurious bass has a body carved from a rare, solid piece of maple...[/quote]

OK so maybe I wasn't ambitious enough. I never thought of having a bass made of maple, that is pretty outrageous.

f*** it, I'll have a Jazz made from tits.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1373673174' post='2140575']
I quite like Jazz Basses, so maybe I'd get one of those.

OK so maybe I wasn't ambitious enough. I never thought of having a bass made of maple, that is pretty outrageous.

f*** it, I'll have a Jazz made from tits.
[/quote]

:lol:[size=4] [/size] :lol:[size=4] [/size] :lol:

[quote name='OldGit' timestamp='1245191622' post='515920']

Ah now you come to mention it ... several takes on the Danelectro with its round wound strings, a few broken strings put the Danny's out of action (no strings available) and a final take on the Jazz.

I remember that issue as I found out that both My Generation and Wishbone Ash's Argus were both done on a Jazz when for years I'd has GAS for thunderbirds to get "that" tone :)
[/quote]

It was in Bassist issue #2 with Marcus Miller on the front. First bass mag I ever bought :) As I remember it the strings used were LaBella Flats.