Why become a member? ×

If there was ever a bass you wanted...

EBS_freak

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='515451' date='Jun 16 2009, 04:39 PM']That was a Fender Jazz - with flatwounds on!!!

Read it in an old interview in Bassist mag many moons ago. (or it might have been Beat Instrumental).[/quote]

Ta for that Bass Doc. Time to buy some flatties for the Jazz, I think.

[quote name='OldGit' post='515495' date='Jun 16 2009, 05:19 PM']Yes to Andy's EB3 but I'll pass on Entwhistle's temporary Danelectro[/quote]

Ta for that, Old Git. Time to buy a Danelectro.

OK, muddled now.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='OldGit' post='515495' date='Jun 16 2009, 05:19 PM']Er yes and no

Yes to Andy's EB3 but I'll pass on Entwhistle's temporary Danelectro[/quote]

If you mean My generation Danelectro the story is he intended to record the solo with a dano but broke a string. The roadie couldnt get replacement strings [medium or short scale] so he bought a second dano which JE proceded to break.

He then bought the jazz with flats, on which JE played a 'simplified solo'

I feel such a twit - I've owned 3 basses that were ex-John Entwistle and parted with them before I realised the true heritage they would represent one day. It stems from my friendship with his guitar tech Alan Rogan. First one was an Alembic (point model?) - he was having his own design created at the time so the standard ones could go. I sold it via the Bass Centre - I couldn't stand the bad neck dive and the fact that it took ages to dial up an 'ordinary' bass sound.

Then there was a 1958 Precision which I quite liked but at the time I favoured rosewood boards - I think that one still lives with John Ludlow.

I've just realised the third bass didn't come to me via AR, it was bought from Cass Music, Eastbourne openly advertised as ex-JE in the Melody Maker - a 1966 slab bodied P-bass (£165). Now believed to be with Barry Matthews.

I have a 'reverse' claim to fame as I believe I was the first to supply Pino Palladino with a pre-CBS Precision (again via the Alan Rogan connection) I've been trying to find out if he still owns it.. Fiesta red re-spray 1963 I seem to recall.

The things we do and don't think they're anything special at the time! Wish I could press the re-wind button.

H.

[quote name='Tait' post='515568' date='Jun 16 2009, 06:25 PM']one of mark hoppus' two bright pink fender hoppus jazz basses, the ones he had painted himself and famously used for lots of gigs and videos.[/quote]
These and the chrome Warwick Michael McKeegan used in the Therapy? set at Download. It was epic, and that tone was fantastic.

Zach

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='515380' date='Jun 16 2009, 03:37 PM']It doesn't even have to be as famous as that... maybe a bass that was used to record a particular song?[/quote]
How about not even remotely famous?

I still lay awake at night in agony from not being able to buy the Schecter Damien IV I tried to get before the Curbow and Vampyre. If only I'd spent the money before currency fluctuations and stock problems had such an effect on their price. (They're not worth the price being charged here now).

I'm sure what I've got is better... but can't help feeling the Damien should have been mine.

Edit: I just did a quick check. The Damien was about £290 when I first saw it back in January. Went up to £360 just as I was going to buy it (which put me off). Then to £420. And now its £550!?!?!

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Eight' post='515639' date='Jun 16 2009, 07:28 PM']How about not even remotely famous?

I still lay awake at night in agony from not being able to buy the Schecter Damien IV I tried to get before the Curbow and Vampyre. If only I'd spent the money before currency fluctuations and stock problems had such an effect on their price. (They're not worth the price being charged here now).

I'm sure what I've got is better... but can't help feeling the Damien should have been mine.

Edit: I just did a quick check. The Damien was about £290 when I first saw it back in January. Went up to £360 just as I was going to buy it (which put me off). Then to £420. And now its £550!?!?![/quote]

bad omen? :)

Alot of us change gear from time to time...or expand the collection.

Things I'd like: Stu Hamm's yellow fretless Kubicki...a yellow Washburn Status..a salmon pink Washburn Status....
a White Steinberger cricket bat from the '80s.....Randy Coven's bass with Tremolo (vigier?)..
TM Stevens lairy coloured Warwick ...a trans trem Steiney ...Ithink that's enough :)

For me pretty much anything from my [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5525"]Weird & Wonderful thread[/url] that I don't already own.

If we're talking a specific bass then Mick Karn's fretless Travis Bean.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='515578' date='Jun 16 2009, 07:39 PM']I feel such a twit - I've owned 3 basses that were ex-John Entwistle and parted with them...
...a 1966 slab bodied P-bass (£165)...
...Wish I could press the re-wind button.[/quote]
Damn!!! :) I´m sure you do.

That one would be on my list, along with the P basses of George Porter, Freddie Washington and Raphael Saadiq.

Failing that I´d gladly take over WaterOfTyne´s collection. :rolleyes: