Why become a member? ×

MarkBass sound weak?

MuseMatt

So... I've tried out the MarkBass MarkBass CMD 102P next to Aguilar equipment (not sure which, but also 2x10" speakers) and I was surprised at how bad it actually sounded (trust me, that was not the bass).

To me it sounded like there were 2 very thick duvets lying over the amp. When compared to the Aguilar, the Aguilar had a way more defined sound.
So that made me wonder... is MarkBass really worth the money? I see them everywhere (probably that's why a lot of people buy them), but I am near thinking they're pretty overrated for the money.

Or am I the only one thinking this?

Maybe it was just a duff unit? Alternatively, and this might be a really stupid question, but how were the EQ & filters set? The VLE/VPF filters are pretty unique, and can have an amazingly positive - or negative - effect on the sound. In any case, "weak" is certainly not a word I'd associate with MarkBass!

:)

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='511135' date='Jun 11 2009, 01:03 PM']it could of course be that the speakers have a 'low' standard?

The amp on itself was pretty responsive but I just couldn't get a direct sound out of it.[/quote]

i've found the heads to be really good, and the cabs to be really disappointing and with large amounts of speaker excursion at low power, for some reason. ime, ymmv, etc...

Just a guess and I could be wrong, but did you compare with the amps set flat? When you set all the knobs to 12 O'clock on a LittleMarkII or combo containing the same amp, the eq is flat but the VLE & VPE filters are not - they need to be fully anti-clockwise to not alter the tone. If these were at 12 O'clock, the highs would have been cut hence the perceived woolyness compared to another amp set flat.

I compared them at all kinds of settings, but at all rates the markbass seemed a bit behind soundwise. It might have been the speakers, as I said the amp itself was really responsive...
Also, it's probably a matter of taste, but still I feel the speakers on the MarkBass combo's are not doing the amp justice.

IMO after testing Aguilar, despite the fact they are heavyish cabs....they have awesome tone. LM3 + Aguilar cabs is a good choice. I tested the same amp with various Mark Bass cabs and they werent right....the 4x10 was good..the 1x15 wasnt upto much.

The DB1x12s blew them away...warm...powerful....nice mids....also awesome style/

Hence my Ampeg is going to make way for Aguilar 12s...

If I go lightweight im looking at Schroe/Berg/Barefaced/Epifani.....not Mbass.

Awesome amps...cabs are average.

Lack of clarity and brightness has never been something I've found with Markbass, quite the opposite TBH. I wonder whether either you did, as JLP suggests, roll the VLE to midway as opposed to off as that would certainly give the impression of duvet-ness? I will say that whilst I've found that I like the sound of my current Jazzes, and previously a few Stingrays, Moduli etc, through my Markbass rig, it doesn't quite do it for me with Precisions, it doesn't have the warmth I'd like (which was one of the reasons I moved from an LMII to the R500). Perhaps - like all gear to a certain extent - it works well for some instruments and types of music and not so well for others? I like Markbass because it's small, reliable, and sounds good enough for me and my rather clumsy playing given the first two. I must admit I've read threads on here that have made me think "should I sell it all and buy Schroeder" or similar, but to go that way spells many months or years of the trying/buying/selling cycle, and I've only jus finished doing that with basses :)

Edited by Beedster

one of the basses I've tried it is my precision and it really did lack balls with that one, as well as on the neck pickup on my jazz. the sound wasn't good enough for me.
Perhaps I should test a MBtop through a different cab.

Sounds like a knackered combo or misuse of the filters.

Markbass cabs aren't a patch on their amps IMO, but they arent totally rubbish by any means.

Berg blows 'em away of course :)

MB [b]cabs[/b] are seriously overpriced though in my opinion.

Having said that I think their amps are too now.

[Edit to clear up my own stupidity]

Edited by 51m0n

I LOVE the Markbass Heads but the cabs are completely opposite...I hate them!
Are they REALLY geared to pair up with the heads cause they let them down.

So I'd say the speakers...I too get a flat sound with them, but pair the SD800 with my Trace Elliot 1048H...not that's a different story. :)

[quote name='gary mac' post='511832' date='Jun 12 2009, 08:49 AM']Unlike a fair few of the forum members, I love the sound from my mark bass cabs. I use two 2 x 10" cabs and a genz benz head.[/quote]

Nice one! I've said it many times before, I personally love the cabs (then again, I'm a bit biased, owning four of them plus a head and combo!). I've A B'ed stacks from different manufacturers and the mark stuff just seems right for me.

I haven't tried the aggi combo you mention (didn't know they did one) but I've tried aggi gear & although I would agree the cabs sounded great, did not have a big difference from my combo for clarity.
My combo still amazes me at gigs.

I play a 3 x 10 combo, and find the sound to be huge, bright and full of tone. Having owned a huge range of manufacturers gear I would say this is the brightest, fullest sound I've ever achieved. Certainly not like a 'duvet' is over it. If you move the shaping dials off '0' at any point though... then I'd have to agree!

Edited by pantherairsoft

I tried out some markbass gear, wasn't impressed and went and bought a second hand SVT

However, I have now bought a markbass 3x10 combo and am in the process of selling the SVT!

The big attraction of course is the size / lack of weight, but they do seem to work well live - I changed my mind after hearing two friends using them at gigsand had to admit that they sounded better than I thought when I first tried one out

Still got my mesa boogie amp and SWR cabs, which does sound much better to me, but I'm using the markbass combo for gigs I'm doing out of the back of the car!

I tried a lot of MB cabs and heads a few years ago, when I was looking for something to replace my Ashdown combo and found the heads really good, the cabs were also quite good. At the time, 2006, the heads were good value but I thought the cabs were too expensive.
Now, the cabs are totally overpriced.

I'm glad I didn't buy MarkBass back then and the reason I didn't was Basschat. After joining Bassworld, as it was then, I couldn't believe the amount of gear that was on offer in the classifieds, this gave me the opportunity to look for good secondhand deals, which worked out very well for me.

In my opinion and to my tastes, there are better cabs out there, especially when you compare prices.

As a Markbass LM owner, I'd say that it's not a very bright sounding head. It's actually a bit on the "warm" side, I'd say (plenty of mids).
The cabs... well, it depends: just a week ago, I gigged with a strange combination, a MB Minicombo 121 coupled with an Ampeg STV410HE cab.
It sounded AMAZING. The two cabs, strangely, complemented each other superbly. Nice bark and zing at the top, controlled lows and nice presence in the mix.

The 4x10" cabs... I don't really like them. Kind of woolly and all over the place. Haven't had the chance to try their 1x15" cabs.

Edited by Boneless

• 13 years later...

Yes purchased a Mark Bass HF104 on the basis of reviews and 800W power handling, also had a HR115 cab and a little Mk2 head.

After selling some Hartke and SWR cabs found the Mark Bass speakers as woolly, woofy with no punch and a lack of clarity.

So got rid of both Mark Bass cabs and found a second hand SWR Golight 4x10 which was way better, also the Gallien Krueger cabs are fab having borrowed a small 112 combo amp.

The head although having a few options for sound does not compare favourably with my old Gallien Kreuger RB1001 head or my Eden WT550 for a clear crisp sound.

Personally I think Mark Bass is over rated and overpriced.

If you have the dosh buy Aguilar, Darkglass, Gallien Krueger and even some of the Hartke gear is very good.

My tuppence worth as an owner of a bunch of high end cabs and amps as well as MB combos:- if you want something super crisp for playing solo, then MB may well not be for you. 

If, on the other hand, you're after something that works brilliantly in a band mix, then you could do far worse than MB. 

• Like 4