Verdine White (Earth Wind and Fire)
Louis Johnson (Bros Johnson)
Rutger Gunnarsson (Abba)
Johnny Flippin (Fatback Band)
Robert "Kool" Bell (Kool and the Gang)
Hamish Stuart (Average White Band)

and I guess you could also include

Maurice Gibb (Bee Gees)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='53717' date='Sep 1 2007, 09:01 AM']As well as Bernard Edwards (Chic/Sister Sledge), its worth checking out

Rutger Gunnarsson (Abba)

Maurice Gibb (Bee Gees)[/quote]

Lequient Jobe played with Rose Royce and was responsible for the great bassline on Car Wash, so he could be one to check out.

Stu

[quote name='SJA' post='53797' date='Sep 1 2007, 01:14 PM']Leon Sylvers - the whispers "and the beat goes on"
TM Stevens - Narada Walden I should've loved ya
Freddie Washington - Patrice Rushen's forget me nots[/quote]

"and the beat goes on" what a cracking track that was and the bass on "forget me nots" is a belter also.

Edited by bass_in_ya_face

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='53717' date='Sep 1 2007, 08:01 AM']As well as Bernard Edwards (Chic/Sister Sledge), its worth checking out

Rutger Gunnarsson (Abba)

Maurice Gibb (Bee Gees)[/quote]

I'm puzzled by the Maurice Gibb one. apart from the early days i'd of thought he would have never been near a recording seesion with a bass.

there's another disco bassline I like that mysteriously appears on 2 records (not sampled, but ripped off, it seems)-
Whatnauts "help is on the way"
and a year later,
Fat Larry's band "act like you know"

De La Soul sampled it for "name and number" (I think from the Whatnauts song)

Edited by SJA

[quote name='spike' post='53879' date='Sep 1 2007, 04:15 PM']I don't know who the bassist is but I love the bassline to this [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-opY4qcidFk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-opY4qcidFk[/url]

I love the orange suits too :)[/quote]

It took me years to notice but isn't this the track that David Brent is humming during his famous 'dance' for comic relief in 'The Office' ?

[quote name='beerdragon' post='53881' date='Sep 1 2007, 04:22 PM']I'm puzzled by the Maurice Gibb one. apart from the early days i'd of thought he would have never been near a recording seesion with a bass.[/quote]
He wrote all the music for the Bee Gees and took charge in the recording studio. He was a multi instrumentalist playing guitar, organ, keys and bass. He may have been the quiet one but he was also the creative glue between the three of them. His bass playing style was very similar to Paul McCartney and John McVie in that it was uncomplicated but he made sure every note was placed where it counted, to carry the groove.

Listen to Jive Talking and Night Fever for good examples of his playing.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='54084' date='Sep 2 2007, 06:26 AM']He wrote all the music for the Bee Gees and took charge in the recording studio. He was a multi instrumentalist playing guitar, organ, keys and bass. He may have been the quiet one but he was also the creative glue between the three of them. His bass playing style was very similar to Paul McCartney and John McVie in that it was uncomplicated but he made sure every note was placed where it counted, to carry the groove.

Listen to Jive Talking and Night Fever for good examples of his playing.[/quote]

I'd love to know who played bass on 'Somebody Else's Guy' by Jocelyn Brown. Anyone know?

Stu