Why become a member? ×

Thomman Digital Power Amps

6stringbassist

Me and Kiwi both have very similar amps - mine is a 'noname' 800w digital stereo 1u poweramp and kiwis is 1200w I think. You can get them from the states via eBay and the voltage is switchable. Mine is really shallow, like a rack tuner. Amazing bit of kit, full, strong sound and very cheap. Mine was £90 second hand and I think Kiwi paid about £150 all in. I will get a link later as I can't use eBay at work.

I wouldn't have any worries trying the Thomann one, probably very similar internally to much more expensive ones. Well worth a try, I think. If anything, the Thomman one seems expensive in comparison!

[quote name='ped' post='511193' date='Jun 11 2009, 01:56 PM']Me and Kiwi both have very similar amps - mine is a 'noname' 800w digital stereo 1u poweramp and kiwis is 1200w I think. You can get them from the states via eBay and the voltage is switchable. Mine is really shallow, like a rack tuner. Amazing bit of kit, full, strong sound and very cheap. Mine was £90 second hand and I think Kiwi paid about £150 all in. I will get a link later as I can't use eBay at work.[/quote]

i look forward to the links :)

Here's mine

Kiwis is exactly the same but black and rebranded by someone else, mine only says 'D800'. Kiwi's was advertised as a 'Technical Pro DA-B3000'

Search for Technical Pro on eBay at the moment and there are some powersoft lookalikes but haven't tried one of those....

Cheers
ped

Doesn't seem to have anything in the way of being able to filter out sub 20 or 50 Hz frequencies like me QSC does at the moment. I've always told myself this is better for my cabs, and a more efficient use of power, but will it make a big difference?

To get twice as much power as I have now, I'd still have to pay more, even if I sold my current amp. That T-Amp 3400 looks good too, but then we're getting over 500 quid!

I'm looking for what it can put out into 2 x 4 ohms by the way, not bridging it :)

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='ped' post='511421' date='Jun 11 2009, 05:01 PM']Here's mine

Kiwis is exactly the same but black and rebranded by someone else, mine only says 'D800'. Kiwi's was advertised as a 'Technical Pro DA-B3000'

Search for Technical Pro on eBay at the moment and there are some powersoft lookalikes but haven't tried one of those....

Cheers
ped[/quote]

I've read on some PA forums that the 'powersoft lookalikes' have a higher rate of failure due to cheap components and sub standard forced air cooling. Ie.. the fans a woefully inadequate for the power of the amplifier. I guess the price would dictate that ultimately.

So I had a quick look and there seem to be a few things counting against the T Amp as far as I can see.

Can't be bridged/run parallel.
No filters for the lower frequencies.
No limiter.
No lighter than my current 2u amp (not a fault, but still important to me).
Depth is 50cm apparently. Wouldn't fit in my rack or come anywhere close.

From the reviews I've seen (there aren't many), it looks like the amps aren't that strong on 2 ohm loads. Not a big deal for me. Think I'll probably hold on to what I have for now.

[quote name='dood' post='511544' date='Jun 11 2009, 07:19 PM']I've read on some PA forums that the 'powersoft lookalikes' have a higher rate of failure due to cheap components and sub standard forced air cooling. Ie.. the fans a woefully inadequate for the power of the amplifier. I guess the price would dictate that ultimately.[/quote]

Aye probably. I need no bells and whistles as my Vbass feeds the poweramp so just needs to amplify the signal and being digital there is no need for a fan. Apparently it has been used a lot in its former life without any problems so fingers crossed!!

[quote name='Finbar' post='511467' date='Jun 11 2009, 05:41 PM']I've always told myself this is better for my cabs, and a more efficient use of power, but will it make a big difference?[/quote]

it is both, but the difference it would make would depend a lot upon your predominant bass playing style. however, i would stick with what you've got, if it were me.

"50cm depth??
That is madness."

Yes, it is :)

The TSA stuff is very interesting, I think:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/de/the_tamp_tsa_2200.htm"]Thomann TSA 2200[/url]

Not digital, but with switching power supply.

Looks a bit like LAB (Sweden) :rolleyes:

Greetings
Ingo

If you're expecting to push your rig hard then I'd look at amps with decent limiting and high pass filtering and I'd be more reassured by having something designed to handle subwoofer duty in a big PA, not something that DJs will use to push cheap 'mains'. Crown Xti aren't much more expensive and are light and well specced. QSC are more pricey but still great. Yamaha have some similar ranges too.

It is more expensive to design an amp to fit in 1U than 2U and what's the point if it ends up twice as deep front to back?

Alex

Pretty much my thoughts - I'm very happy with my QSC. I was just hoping I could get away with having a smaller rack :)

No such thing as a free lunch.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='514321' date='Jun 15 2009, 03:48 PM']If you're expecting to push your rig hard then I'd look at amps with decent limiting and high pass filtering and I'd be more reassured by having something designed to handle subwoofer duty in a big PA, not something that DJs will use to push cheap 'mains'. Crown Xti aren't much more expensive and are light and well specced. QSC are more pricey but still great. Yamaha have some similar ranges too.

It is more expensive to design an amp to fit in 1U than 2U and what's the point if it ends up twice as deep front to back?

Alex[/quote]

I was just looking at the zoomed pictures of the 2800 on Thomann. A nice feature I havent seen on other power amps. They have included a gain switch to match it closer to the mixer/preamp you are plugging in to it.