Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Steinberger XL2 fretless fourstring 1987

JanSpeeltBas

SOLD: my beloved Steinberger XL2 fretless 4, made in '87. What's left to say?
The classic headless all-graphite bass, in good and all original condition. Besides the
usual wear there's a little chip out of the carbon top at the bottom (see photo), ofcourse no structural damage.
It comes with a Ritter gigbag, a new set of GHS strings (it's strung with Elites) and some spare parts I've collected
over the years (bridge claw, EMG HB pickup) but never have needed since these are very reliable basses.
A lot of people think that active graphite basses have a "hyped" tone but this bass actually sounds very natural,
with outstanding "mwaah". Located in the Netherlands, will ship internationally. Looking for 1200 GBP shipped within the EC.

Edited by JanSpeeltBas

Nice bass! It is really a fretted one i am after though - but this is the second steiny XL i have seen with a chipped faceplate.
Do you ( or anyone else ) know if the chip be repaired satisfactorily(?)
I think Ed Roman can supply NOS replacements but they are $400.
I have had three steinbergers in the past and, for various regrettable reasons, let them go

Best of luck with the sale

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='509014' date='Jun 9 2009, 02:39 PM']Nice bass! It is really a fretted one i am after though - but this is the second steiny XL i have seen with a chipped faceplate.
Do you ( or anyone else ) know if the chip be repaired satisfactorily(?)
I think Ed Roman can supply NOS replacements but they are $400.
I have had three steinbergers in the past and, for various regrettable reasons, let them go

Best of luck with the sale

BB[/quote]

Every once in a while these plates (factory B-parts) turn up on e-bay, far cheaper than Ed Roman. I suppose it
can be fixed since only the top polyester coating is broken, I recall there's a name of a store doing this mentioned on
Steinbergerworld.
I had a fretted one up for sale some weeks ago but sold it within hours. They are really great basses...

I used to have a Steinberger at the end of the eighties... I didn't have a tuning machine and I didn't want to admit to the band I was in that I didn't have that sort of gear. So I tuned my bass to a record at home, put the bass in its bag, drove to the gig and played without retuning. Didn't move a bit :-)
Excellent basses ! Veel geluk met de verkoop, alleszins !