Why become a member? ×

Active EQs...

Lfalex v1.1

I have just acquired an Ibanez EDB600. Pretty good for what I paid, but Oh! The 3Band EQ is amazing. It fits the bass and my ears perfectly.

I own 2 other basses with 3band Eq, A Stingray 5 Fretless and an Iceni Zoot Chaser with an East E-pro in it.

Neither of which can shape the sound as appropriately as the (presumably in-house) Ibanez EQ.

So the thought occurred to me;

How well matched to the basses are the EQs? I couldn't say for definite, but I reckon the EQ in the 'Ray 5 is the same as the 'Ray 4 AND the Sterling, Irrespective of piezos and frets / lack of.

Isn't it more appropriate that a Fretless, 5, or ERB should have different EQs to complement their sound/purpose?

Systems with a Variable Mid Frequency seem like a step in the right direction.

The Vigier Passion's system with variable Frequency (but just one band + or -) can be tailored, but rolls off at 80Hz. Fine for boosting the first Harmonic of an open "E" on a 4 string, but in a 5, wouldn't a 60HZ cutoff be better (1st Harmonic of open "B")

Please discuss, I'd be interested to hear what suggestions and ideas people have (besides adding EQ at the amp end!!)
In particular, any submissions with more adjustable on board EQs would be most enlightening!!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

I've also noticed how good Ibanez EQs are in comparison to competitors'. I have a BTB405, and it's a good bass made very good by its EQ. It lets you take a great sound everywhere you go, regardless what amp you're using.

By comparison, I've always found Fender's to be more than a little woeful, suddenly making a massive tone shift with very little gradation.

Often I find bass controls are voiced too low IMHO - e.g. on the Stingray. Also I've tried a couple of sweepable mid pre-amps (not Ibanez mind you) and I found the band width was too narrow. OK if you were cutting, but if boosting it was too honky. I know Wal's seem popular, but I couldn't get a good sound out of the circuit when I tried one.

I've had a Spector, Status and a Sandberg all of which had nice voicing. Also Overwaters have a nice EQ - not too drastic. I'm currently waiting for an Audere for my Fender Marcus V, so will see what that's like.

[quote name='JD1' post='53445' date='Aug 31 2007, 03:53 PM']Often I find bass controls are voiced too low IMHO - e.g. on the Stingray. Also I've tried a couple of sweepable mid pre-amps (not Ibanez mind you) and I found the band width was too narrow. OK if you were cutting, but if boosting it was too honky. I know Wal's seem popular, but I couldn't get a good sound out of the circuit when I tried one.

I've had a Spector, Status and a Sandberg all of which had nice voicing. Also Overwaters have a nice EQ - not too drastic. I'm currently waiting for an Audere for my Fender Marcus V, so will see what that's like.[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree. The Bass control on the SR 5 is way too low for me, as is the mid. Hopefully, the 4-band Bongo is a bit better.

I've hated the EQ on all the Marcus Millers I've played. They all played well and felt good, but were hamstrung by the clumsy implementation of the EQ.
I'm assuming it has little or no basis in the original Sadowsky unit.

The Mid-f on my EDB600 is fixed, but very broad in bandwidth. Lean on it too hard, and it's more like a volume boost!
The Bass and Treble seem much tighter, but it's the superb bass-mid integration that seals it. The Treble just gives a bit of sparkle, and can help to hide dead/dying strings.
Then you slap it and it tries to blow you to bits!

They are the same one the Yamaha but when you work it out there's no reason it shouldn't be.

Somone with more brains can tell us exactly what frequency high C and Low B are but:-

If the bass control is (for the sake of arguement) under 250hz. mid - 1Khz, and top at 5Khz, what difference does 5 semitones higher or lower make?