Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo

birdy

[quote name='Platypus' post='523061' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:31 PM']Incoming - probably next week sometime.....[/quote]

Wow - looks like a beauty!! You won't be disappointed if mine and Flankers are anything to go by :-)

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='524024' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:05 PM']Wow - looks like a beauty!! You won't be disappointed if mine and Flankers are anything to go by :-)

Steve[/quote]
Steve, I'd been thinking about a Coppolo for a few months and it was when I got to play yours and Flankers basses at the Bass Merchant that I decided to get one.

Paul

[quote name='jonthebass' post='524028' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:09 PM']WOW that looks nice.
Fancy a mini Harrow bass bash so I can have a ganders please :)

Cheers,
Jon[/quote]

Your welcome to come over and try it out, once I'm up and running with it

Paul

[quote name='Platypus' post='524178' date='Jun 25 2009, 10:24 PM']Steve, I'd been thinking about a Coppolo for a few months and it was when I got to play yours and Flankers basses at the Bass Merchant that I decided to get one.

Paul[/quote]

I too had been thinking about one in the back of my mind for a long long time. I am running mine into the EBS classic preamp and the Berg IP112/EX112 stack and it's the best sound (for me) that I have ever had. It's perfect for what I do and what I want but like anything it's horses for courses!!!

We should have a UK convention soon! I bet there wouldn't be many of us there :-)

Steve

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='524198' date='Jun 25 2009, 10:41 PM']so how does Avella compare to Sadowsky, Celinder, and the Real Thing?[/quote]

What do you mean by the real thing?

I really like Sadowsky and Celinder basses and have owned a fair few. My observations are that the Sad's usually sound fantastic in the mix but not so good in isolation whereas the Celinder is the opposite yet it still sounds good in the mix. The Alleva has a vintage fender vibe going on and sounds and feels fantastic. I would hesitate to say it's better than the other models but the sound I am getting is closer to my ideal sound.

I sold a wonderful 4 string 65 Jazz and bought the Alleva with the cash for the extra string and modern build quality and playability etc.
The Alleva sounds organic yet very alive and is quite versatile especially with the EBS preamp that I use. When EBS_Freak came round we cranked up the bass and treble on the AC preamp and boosted the EBS compressor and got a fantastic slap sound that almost sung. Even ghost notes sounded musical. Well they did when Russ played them :-)

I have had the bass 3 weeks now and I am still really digging it. I know Flanker feels the same way about his P bass. I played his P briefly and it was wonderful, certainly in the same league as the Celinder P that I owned that I believed to be the best P I had ever played.

If you prefer Sadowsky or Celinder then I wouldn't argue with you. Same goes for Roscoe and other top end basses they are all fantastic tools.

I think I could take the Alleva on any gig and it would cover it.

Steve

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='524342' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:06 AM']the Real Thing was an oblique reference to your Fender Jazz. Nice to know how they measure up though, I'd imagine you must be one of the most experienced Jazz Bass enthusiasts on the forum now.[/quote]

Ahh I see. I doubt that I will ever play a Jazz that has the back pick up 'honk' that the original 65 had. It was truly the best Jacoesque(is that a word) sound I had ever heard. I guess I have played and owned a fair few jazzes :-)
Also, the US laklands (not just jazzes) would give a lot of stuff a run for its money.
Basstard (Neil Simpson) has a brilliant US Lakland which I think is a 55-94 that really nails it on a gig. Actually that could be down to his playing more than the bass but it sounded awesome to my ears. Also, GBs do a nice take on a modern Jazz of course which some people love and rightly so.
I would certainly recommend trying an AC if you get chance!!

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='524363' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:17 AM']Ahh I see. I doubt that I will ever play a Jazz that has the back pick up 'honk' that the original 65 had. It was truly the best Jacoesque(is that a word) sound I had ever heard. I guess I have played and owned a fair few jazzes :-)
Also, the US laklands (not just jazzes) would give a lot of stuff a run for its money.
Basstard (Neil Simpson) has a brilliant US Lakland which I think is a 55-94 that really nails it on a gig. Actually that could be down to his playing more than the bass but it sounded awesome to my ears. Also, GBs do a nice take on a modern Jazz of course which some people love and rightly so.
I would certainly recommend trying an AC if you get chance!!

Steve[/quote]

Agree- the honk on that 65 is quite staggering. If it had a special tone in it, that would be it. Really cool sound.

[quote name='Toasted' post='524699' date='Jun 26 2009, 10:52 AM']Wow - is that the one from Paul's? Beautiful. Hubba hubba![/quote]

The one form Paul's (Bass Mathers in NL) had a different top (spalted alder?) and is owned by Nick Brown - there are some pictures of that one in another thread.

My sis saw the LG5 over my shoulder and said, if she ever becomes a millionaire shell buy me one and herself one so she can hang it on a wall, she likes it so much aswell, and this is on looks alone.

Its so damn sexy, im loving the racing stripes, and honestly, if i had 4 grand i would go out and buy one of these straight away. Even though, have you actually taken it out of your house, not worried are you.
But again stick bass.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='525511' date='Jun 26 2009, 11:34 PM']My sis saw the LG5 over my shoulder and said, if she ever becomes a millionaire shell buy me one and herself one so she can hang it on a wall, she likes it so much aswell, and this is on looks alone.

Its so damn sexy, im loving the racing stripes, and honestly, if i had 4 grand i would go out and buy one of these straight away. Even though, have you actually taken it out of your house, not worried are you.
But again stick bass.[/quote]

Yea I am gigging it regularly :) If it gets a few dings then thats life. I always keep my eye on my gear to make sure nothing get's pinched.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='526545' date='Jun 28 2009, 10:13 AM']Wow that P looks great. Is it in a burst? It looks like a subtle antigua!

Dan[/quote]

I'll answer for Flanker as I have seen and played his bass and yes thats spot on - a lovely subtle antigua. It looks loads better in real life and plays and sounds superb also!!

Steve

Got to play Steve (Birdy)'s J5 today through his IP stack with the EBS pre (I was buying some rubbishy old 115 he had lying around off him :))

Damn thats a great rig, staggeringly beautiful bass, that absolutely sings! Certainly the finest J stylee bass I've ever tried. You're a lucky fella!

First time I've played through the IP stack, crikey! Just, crikey!!!!!

The IP stack is something else isn't it? I just completed my IP stack thanks to 6stringbassist selling his Berg EX112ER. Means I got an IP rig for a little under half the price of a brand new IP stack. Bargainous!

I do love beautifully crafted jazzes with just a hint of uniqueness, they're great!

Mark