Why become a member? ×

The First Gig

Michael01474

So two and a bit years after buying my first and so far only Bass, this Saturday I am to play my first gig. :) It's just a mate of the singers garden party we're playing at but it's a start. We're not really equipped for gigging yet but the singer put us forward anyway. Gonna play eight songs - some covers and some originals. Any advice for a gig virgin?

We put a couple of vids up on youtube from our last practice if anyones interested. Search for mrbobpacbear.

Thanks

Practice, practice, practice. And plenty of practice as a band - don't do what I did and do my first gig off the back of only 3 whole band practices.

Try to relax. If you make a mistake, keep calm and carry on - join up the song as soon as you can.

Try to enjoy it.

It seems like you've got a reasonably relaxed gig for your first one with probably a supportive and captive audience.

Good luck.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='504198' date='Jun 2 2009, 08:52 PM']Have 2-3 drinks beforehand(no more).[/quote]

Don't drink before you play, you'll play a lot tighter. Any nerves will disappear during the first tune anyway.

Most important: Remember to enjoy yourself. You're supposed to be entertaining people, if you're having fun and it'll rub off on them.

Incidentally it's always singers who book shows before the band is ready. Always. Swines they are.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='504206' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:05 PM']Incidentally it's always singers who book shows before the band is ready. Always. Swines they are.[/quote]

lol - true!

enjoy yourself - its fun. very fun. be happy!

I remember mine, I was 17... I found that putting down the rest of the band to everyone helped... Then everyone thought I was awesome and were so busy concentrating on everyone else, looking for them to mess up that they never noticed I was rubbish!

Come to think of it, that was our ONLY ever gig... so don't do that

Just listen to everyone elses advice :-)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='504250' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:46 PM']I remember mine, I was 17... I found that putting down the rest of the band to everyone helped... Then everyone thought I was awesome and were so busy concentrating on everyone else, looking for them to mess up that they never noticed I was rubbish!

Come to think of it, that was our ONLY ever gig... so don't do that

Just listen to everyone elses advice :-)[/quote]

yeah don't take this advice :rolleyes: lol! :)

Z
xx

Thanks everyone for the advice (not sure I'll be taking all of it mind). Will be staying off the beer (well maybe just one eh) till after we play although I doubt the others will follow the example. Just checked the weather forecast and it's not looking good for the weekend so it may not happen after all!

Remember, a mistake isn't a mistake if you cover it up well!

I'm sometimes the king of balls-ups, i've just got really good at making them into fills.
Also do not ever stop playing, even if you make a huge gaff, most people won't even notice if you just carry on playing. Scowling at the drummer in an obvious manner helps too

And don't get too p1ssed, we used to get hammered at gigs and it showed

The main thing at your first gig is to just enjoy it and to do your bit properly.
One good thing about being thrown in at the deep end is it makes you get on with it.
One gig is worth a dozen rehearsals.

Being worried about it is normal, but don't lose sleep over it. It's supposed to be fun.

Don't think that every twiddly note you play is going to change the world or that every
mistake is going to be with you forever. It's entertainment.
I worried myself stupid before my first gig, yet two songs in, it was great.

Have a great time and let us know how you go on.

:)

[quote name='neepheid' post='504029' date='Jun 2 2009, 04:38 PM']Practice, practice, practice. And plenty of practice as a band - don't do what I did and do my first gig off the back of only 3 whole band practices.

Try to relax. If you make a mistake, keep calm and carry on - join up the song as soon as you can.

Try to enjoy it.

It seems like you've got a reasonably relaxed gig for your first one with probably a supportive and captive audience.

Good luck.[/quote]

This is all top advice. The only thing I would add is to book into a Travelodge, trash the room and sling the telly out of the window.

My first gig was well over thirty years ago (yikes!) - it was one of the most exciting and momentous evenings I've experienced and remains one of my most vivid memories. Practise a lot beforehand (with the band and your own bass parts - play along to recordings of successful rehearsals), don't drink much at all beforehand (seriously), try to relax and stay calm, don't argue with bandmates whatever the circumstances before or during the gig, look like you're enjoying yourself throughout (you will anyway), don't worry about mistakes (the best bass players in the world make them and nobody will notice or care). Your nerves will disappear with the opening notes (this one one of the weirdest feelings for me) and the gig will be over in no time - 40 minutes will feel like 5. More than anything just soak it up and have a ball. I'm excited for you! I hope that the rain holds of for you and this will be the first of thousands of gigs.

+1000

As everyone has said you will feel nervous and you will make mistakes and it doesn't matter! After 51 years on this earth I played my first gig last year. It felt like a small bit of me that had always been missing finally slotted into place.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Leschirons - took your advice. Booked into the local travelodge unmade the bed, opened all the toilettries but there was no TV so I threw the hairdryer out of the window - but it was wired into the wall so only made it as far as the bed. How rock & roll am I!!!

Just been told that it's on regardless - assuming the rest of the band don't get drunk before we start. Apparently we'll be playing in the conservatory if it's wet and the guests have been cut from about 60 to 20. Would still rather play outdoors but what will be will be. I'll post again after the event.

Cheers

[quote name='Toasted' post='506234' date='Jun 5 2009, 11:40 AM']Bananas - natural beta blockers. I always eat two before I go on.[/quote]
And they release carbohydrates nice and slowly so no sugar crashes mid-gig!
Other than that, enjoy it, and keep going regardless of what people say!!
Gigging really can put you in some hilarious situations...

I can recall lots of excitement involving clamped cars, driving through a pedestrian precinct, lightning strikes, electrocution, playing fretless without a drummer in a graveyard in front of 1500 people (not all at once)... It's all part of the fun!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Well it's all over, for now. The rain held off and although we played under a green gazebo (which made us look a bit like the Incredible Hulk but without the muscles) it actually went really well.

We only played a short set of eight songs, four originals and four covers (all Kings of Leon) - total time about 35 mins but I'm taking the lack of missiles and booing as a postitive. Got some good feedback and the biggest applause was for one of the originals so that was nice. Made a couple of mistakes. Got distracted by my Wife and lost my timing but just stopped and jumped back in at an appropriate moment and the drummer managed to launch one of his sticks at me - luckily he had a spare set on his kit so it wasn't too noticable. Been told that I've got to develop a poker face as apparently you can tell by looking at me when things go wrong!

Overall a very succesfull day and we managed to pick up a couple of potential future gigs. I'll put some pics up when I get them off the camera and also post a couple of youtube links to the vids. Thanks again for all the comments.

Glad to hear it went well. I don't think anyone warned you that gigging is also insanely addictive! You'll have the bug now so be prepared to spend the rest of your life in the pursuit of making live music. Congrats!

I can't remember my first ever gig, too long ago. But I imagine it was rather scared.

After a long non-gigging period I was asked to be a stand in bassist for my mate's band. I had 3 days to learn 10 original songs and about 5 covers. At the time I was having work done to the house so I was up the in-laws. I was learning the songs using a dodgy old CD walkman and an unplugged, borrowed, bass.

We had one band practice the night before the gig.

It was only in a pub and I got scared during the sound check, and my forearms and hands literally wouldn't work. After the sound check I had a few Newkie Browns and relaxed. I rearranged the setlist to get the most difficult song over with first and followed it with an easy, but fun, cover. The entire pub sang along with the cover and I chilled right out.

I love gigging! Shame I'm not in a band at the moment... :)