Why become a member? ×

What can I expect if I join a progessive or instrumental rock band?

pip

Hi guys

As I thinking about this just recently I was wondering what would be expectedf me if I joined a Prog or instrumental rock band for the first time? What I mean by that is would I need to be able to read, play complex lines and different time signatures, playing abillty, good theroy, play an extended range on the bass (i.e. 5, 6 string), gear etc.

The reason I ask is because I'd love to join a band when I start uni in london very soon but at the same time I wouldn't know what to expect as I've never been in a proper band before. I tend to like listing to alot of steve vai, joe satriani, symphony x and anything that tends to have alot of playing in regarding guitar and drums etc and my playing seems to lean on technique regarding slap and tapping but I'm also my theroy is alright and building off that and trying to expand into more adv stuff aswell as other things. The only thing I don't own or play on is a 5 or 6 string bass, just a 4.
Hope you can give me a heads up?

Phil

My band is kinda techy, not to much, but enough to be fun and still flow well!

I play on a 4 string no problem, but because its heavier music (as is most 'prog') we tune down to C.
Most of the techy part of it is different time signatures, sometimes changing every bar etc, lots of unison lines. I do a tiny bit of tapping, in like two songs for 1 verse or something, but because my band has 2 guitars, then theres not much room for stuff like that, so i try and keep my playing supportive and musical (the tapping parts i wrote are when the singer's guitar drops out anyway). We've never done any reading with this band, we learn and write stuff together by jamming, although theres a fair amount of counting while we're getting new passages learnt.

Go have a listen at www.myspace.com/firstsignsoffrost

Every band is different, just practice the stuff you like and if when you get to uni and find a band whose songs speak to you, then it'll be easy!

Si

Edited by Sibob

Hi Pip,

I only ever use a 4 string in our band, we're a type of Prog Rock, Rock, Fusion, band thing :)

We do some instrumental stuff, I don't tap or slap ever, I don't reckon those techniques are a must in a Prog/Instrumental band, great if you use them but doesn't matter if you don't :huh:

What I do find helpful is getting into odd time sigs, being able to count often helps in that situation especially if you're playing a unison riff with an evil time sig, so I would try counting odd things. I find when I crack an odd count the riff or complicated line comes a little easier.
Our situation is similar to Sibobs but with one guitar, we too learn, write and jam together.

A link or two if you fancy it:
[url="http://www.myspace.com/multistoreyearthworm"]http://www.myspace.com/multistoreyearthworm[/url]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/monkeylump"]http://www.myspace.com/monkeylump[/url]

[quote name='pip' post='52626' date='Aug 30 2007, 09:00 AM']Hi guys

As I thinking about this just recently I was wondering what would be expectedf me if I joined a Prog or instrumental rock band for the first time? What I mean by that is would I need to be able to read, play complex lines and different time signatures, playing abillty, good theroy, play an extended range on the bass (i.e. 5, 6 string), gear etc.[/quote]

Able to read? not necessarily
Play complex lines? Yes definitely
Play complex time sigs? Yes definitely
Playing ability? A definite bonus to be dextrous ;o)
Good theory? I reckon so. understanding all your keys/modes will help if you are asked to right harmony parts etc. But you don't need to be a grade 8er to write good solid basslines! Just a bit of imagination!
Extended range? Nah, not really, unless there are parts specifically writeen for an extended range.. then you may need to work on transposing into the range you have available on a 4 string, for example.

Prog and Prog metal naturally leans towards being dextrous and musically interesting to play and is a big reason why I love it. That aside though, you can expect to fit in all styles of playing and its not all about playing fast/showey. I think there should still be a damn good song in there and not some 25 minute shred fest *yawn*.

[quote name='jase00' post='52668' date='Aug 30 2007, 10:42 AM']Sibob, a little off topic but how do you find the Docs pro plugs? I saw you mentioned them in the Ear plugs thread. I left a post but I think it was a while ago you posted there.
cheers,
Jase.[/quote]

I found them uncomfortable and not great in comparison to others available on the market, But I guess the premoulded shape may not have been good for my ears. Maybe I have little lugs.. I would def go for Elacin/Heroes/Etymotic Research ER20's for the cheap option and ER9/15/25's for the best option, having tried most of the plugs available on the market lol!!

Dan

Able to read? not necessarily
Play complex lines/playing ability? Yes definitely
Play complex time sigs? Yes definitely
Good theory? wouldn't have thought it's a definite must-have... like dood said, just a bit of imagination will do
Extended range? well, 'only' 4 strings never did Geddy or Squire any harm! :)

[quote name='dood' post='52675' date='Aug 30 2007, 10:50 AM']I found them uncomfortable and not great in comparison to others available on the market, But I guess the premoulded shape may not have been good for my ears. Maybe I have little lugs.. I would def go for Elacin/Heroes/Etymotic Research ER20's for the cheap option and ER9/15/25's for the best option, having tried most of the plugs available on the market lol!!

Dan[/quote]

Cheers Dan,

The ER20's are a little uncomfortable for me, think I got weird ears :) Just tried a sample set of docs pro plugs this morning from BR distribution, nice chap sent me all sizes for free (for sizing not for using live) I'll take your word on the protection they offer.

Next stop, ER9,12 and 25's then Elacin then some Heroes :huh:

[quote name='jase00' post='52735' date='Aug 30 2007, 12:37 PM']Cheers Dan,

Next stop, ER9,12 and 25's then Elacin then some Heroes :)[/quote]

no wurries mate.. oh Elacin/E.R/Heroes are all the same company, just badged up for different markets.

[i]Able to read?[/i] not necessarily - unless I suppose you have one main writer in the band who expects everything to be as he heard it & scores it for you - but would you want to be in such a dictatorship?
[i]Play complex lines/playing ability?[/i] Yes definitely helps
[i]Play complex time sigs?[/i] ditto
[i]Good theory?[/i] not necessarily but might help. A good ear is just as much use, but if you know the theory you might get there a bit quicker. It depends how instinctive you are
[i]Extended range? [/i]I have only just acquired my first 5 string :) but the lack of a 5 or 6 stringer was never a problem when I was in such a band - mind that goes back a few years now. When I saw Spocks Beard in London recently Dave Meros was using a modified Rick (with a Hipshot D-Tuner) & was turning to a keyboard to double really deep lines. Pete Trewavas only uses 4 strings & bass pedals in the Transatlantic DVDs so I should have thought it is not an absolute must have. There are other ways of covering really low end & if the band has keys you could end up fighting for the same sonic space.

Mind you, I had been thinking of giving a call to an ad for a proggy band in my area recently, but the ad said "must have 5 string". I have other things on the go so not desperate for another project anyway, but to be so prescriptive in an ad does seem a bit limiting.

It all depends on the other people in the band, their musical vision, talent and humanity. You might even be lucky enough to find people with the first two and at least a shred of the third :)

Being proficient or better in the areas mentioned definitely won't hurt but it is better to get involved and start gaining experience than to keep putting off the day. The ideal situation would be to find a bunch of people who you get on well with, who have some half-way decent songs (and welcome your input) and between them have enough skills and experience to stretch you and help you grow (so that you are neither floundering nor treading water).

Mind you, my primary memory of university bands was that the two most important attributes for getting into most of them were owning a PA system and having a car!

Wulf

Thanks ever soo much guys, somethings I've noted and I'm gonna starting including in my playing now. Oh thats good news then I prefer four strings alot more to 5 and 6 string, 6 string to me feels quite cumlbersome in some odd to way. Thanks for thoses myspace links btw will check them out! I'm just keep doing the things I enjoy on bass and keep on with instrumental playing.

Phil

[quote name='pip' date='Aug 30 2007, 09:00 AM' post='52626']
Hi guys

As I thinking about this just recently I was wondering what would be expectedf me if I joined a Prog or instrumental rock band for the first time? What I mean by that is would I need to be able to read, play complex lines and different time signatures, playing abillty, good theroy, play an extended range on the bass (i.e. 5, 6 string), gear etc.
The reason I ask is because I'd love to join a band when I start uni in london very soon but at the same time I wouldn't know what to expect as I've never been in a proper band before. I tend to like listing to alot of steve vai, joe satriani, symphony x and anything that tends to have alot of playing in regarding guitar and drums etc and my playing seems to lean on technique regarding slap and tapping but I'm also my theroy is alright and building off that and trying to expand into more adv stuff aswell as other things. The only thing I don't own or play on is a 5 or 6 string bass, just a 4.
Hope you can give me a heads up?

Phil

MB1. :)

just............... a 4 ?

Regarding the Proplugs, i use the medium sized non-vented ones and find them just fine!
Obviously when i have the money i'll be going for the custom moulded ones, but until then the Proplugs are an alrite fit for my ears, although i do know that some people have real issues with them.

Si

[quote name='pip' post='52626' date='Aug 30 2007, 09:00 AM']Hi guys

Phil[/quote]

That's Prog rock in a nutshell! seriously though i think you should maybe consider buying a 5 string, they're not difficult to get used to tbh, i've got really small hands and i can play one easily. Having said that though it would be cool to see sum1 who can be in a band like that with a 4. If you really don't want to get a 5 then i reccomend that u at least start buying heavier strings so you can tune down low. Rotosound make sets of 65-130s. u might want to check them out.

Edited by EdwardHimself

I wish i could grow a beard! I'd have a massive one if i could :)
At the age of 24, i shave often, nothing grows lol

anyway

Edward, you're more then welcome to watch me play some prog/tech on my 4 :huh:
Just tune down!
And if you are tuning down, its not all about guage, its about the string core size. I use 45-105 on my C,F,Bb,Eb tuned bass, i use Newtone strings and they are able to increase the tension of the string by making the core size bigger. AS a result i play the guages i want (could probly go thinner if i wanted), in a low tuning, with an action similar to a standard tuned bass!

Si

^why would you WANT really thin strings tho? I love my big low b! Also i can play drop C on a bass with standard strings but it's really better to get some designed for low tunings, that's if you really don't want a 5 string. Trust me they're a lot less scary then they first seem.

oh and i'm 16 and i have a very nice beard! :)

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote]oh and i'm 16 and i have a very nice beard! :huh:[/quote]

lol

I mean i could consider a 5 string as I'm after a fretless, why not make it a 5 string fretless? now that would be tasty :). Although I'm not sure if Warwick make the basic corvette active in swamp ash in a 5 or 6 string, I've only seen 4's. As for string gauges I'm not really a fan of heavy sets tone wise, I much prefer lighter sets and tunning down my elixirs seem to be ok so far but haven't tried low C or anything lower yet.

[quote name='pip' post='53536' date='Aug 31 2007, 06:44 PM']lol

I'm not sure if Warwick make the basic corvette active in swamp ash in a 5 or 6 string, I've only seen 4's.[/quote]

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvette_std_5string_ebass_nb.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvette_...ng_ebass_nb.htm[/url]

like that you mean? Not fretless tho i'm afraid.

What can I expect if I join a progessive or instrumental rock band?
A LOT OF FUN! :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='53252' date='Aug 31 2007, 11:55 AM']Expect... The Unexpected[/quote]Ah, but if you're expecting it, it's no longer the unexpected... :huh:

Theres nothing to say you need to tune down for prog, Coheed & Cambria tune to standard i believe. I wouldn't want anything thinner then 45-105 on my C-tuned bass, i was merely highlighting that i could if i chose to because the Newtone high tension strings are so good.

I played 5 strings for 3 years or so, both fretted and fretless (matching pair actually), i personally feel that i miss nothing with my 4's, standard or downtuned.

Si

Edited by Sibob