Why become a member? ×

moving speaker problem?

ReeV0

hey,

i got a 2x10 cab rated for 400W, and am putting about 200W through it with my amp.
when i crank the volume, the speakers will move a considerable amount, even if i play quietly. But if i start slapping while the volume is turned up, the speakers go crazy and i'm worried one of these days they will just tear or something. They are paper after all...

Is it safe for speakers to move a lot, or should they just move a little under load?

cheers

In a typical 2x10" the speakers can move about 3mm without distortion whilst damage is likely if they move about 10mm. The movement is what produces the lows (to get the same output at 100Hz as at 200Hz the speaker has to move FOUR times as far). The ability of a speaker to move without distortion is what determines the excursion limited power handling, which for a typical cab is less than half (and often as low as a third or quarter) of the thermally limited power handling (the number quoted by the manufacturers).

You will hear increased distortion from the speakers as they move beyond their clean excursion limit and small amounts of this can add punch and growl but larger amounts will sound like farting and if you push harder the speaker will die.

Alex

i had a SWR Goliath II (4x10") (think was 500w, not sure now) and was the best Speaker i had...

i put the SWR head almost in max Volume , and the head was 400W ( now the SWR head is 500W, but mine was 400w)!

was a cover band , this was when we need to play in opens spaces..and the SWR speakers , just moved a little , and was a very GOOD surprise the first time i saw this, How can the speakers move sooo little , almost like if the amplifier was working at 50W LOL , but no the amp was working at 400W...God

the first time was a little worryd to put the Amp + speakers almost in max for 2 hours, but when i noticed that the speakers there almost without moving..uau , i felt safe :)

Never saw a Speakers like this ones. usualy the ones i saw live , i can see Very Well the moving of the speakers , somes like if they want to go out of the box LOL

i REGRET the seller this days!!

n.[url="http://www.makemusicnews.com"]Some News for Musicians[/url]

Guest joshua

hey thanks for the replyies.

Im using a Warwick profet 3.2 connected to two 211 pro cabs. When i crank it and start playing, if i put on a bit of overdrive or wah wah or something, the speakers go crazy, they must be moving at least 1cm, but i havent noticed any damage.

[quote name='The Funk' post='501554' date='May 30 2009, 12:43 PM']What do the speakers sound like? Do they distort or fart out?[/quote]

So far I havn't magaed to get my Trace speakers to move that bad, and I hammered 600 watts into them (They are rated to handle up to 800 watts)...they still didn't fart!
Oh and they are 4x10" too.

So what else goes into the equation other than power handling here?
A Markbass 4x10" made me very scared though as they looked like they were gonna shoot out, and these cabs cost twice as much as my Trace.

This confuses me so...