Why become a member? ×

Peavey Tour 700?

Kongo

OK things amp wise are not going to plan...My funds are limited and my first head just will NOT work in a band situation...I've tired and it's not a good sound.
I bought a Trace Elliot 1048H from lushuk here for a quality price so my cab is sorted as this is what I was after...with ideas of a head to match...ONly problemo is my funds are cut big time and...so is time!
We've been getting so much feedback at Quad studio's that we are going to gig very soon instead of writing even more material so I need to get a decent head FAST!
I have been using one of thier Markbass SD800 heads with my cab and they are ACE! But the price is too much for me.
Wattage is a need here, being up against 2 all valve driven de-tuned guitars, headroom is a given.
I was looking into a Trace Elliot AH600-7 but I won't reach the right ammount of dosh and I do not wanna be on stage farting out some nasty sound with my current head.

I've seen a few bands bassists of similar role to mine use these and cut through the mix like mad with a clean tone, all using them with various cabs.
Now I feel as these a
re not too high priced I could look into one?
500 watts @ 8 ohms and 700 @ 4 ohms is plentiful but how are they?
I mean...they only cost £400 new...I've used the older series Peavey's int he past and they were LOUD but they were USA made.

The 9-band EQ and contour shaping will do fine for me...The contour looks like a Pre-shape concept to me.
The Markbass also had one with a different name.

So my question is, at a pinch should I look into one?
The fact that they are rack is good as I can case it with my compressor...that's a bonus the Trace doesn't have.
Plus, as clarity is a must over tone in a head at the moment, even if it will do "for now" that's fine by me.

I can't wait to get gigging again...it's gonna be crazy!
Kinda ironic that my Trace cab may be paired with a Peavey head :)

Thoughts?

Edited by Kongo

Worth looking into. I've played through the tour 400 and was very impressed with the sound and features. Not exactly the most hi-fi sounding amp ever, but for the money/power/features... certainly worth a look. Have you seen the Ashdown LG1000?

[quote name='yorick' post='501035' date='May 29 2009, 03:42 PM']Worth looking into. I've played through the tour 400 and was very impressed with the sound and features. Not exactly the most hi-fi sounding amp ever, but for the money/power/features... certainly worth a look. Have you seen the Ashdown LG1000?[/quote]

Yeah...I'm afriad I don't work too well with Ashdown gear unfortunatly...Don't know why...Same with Ampeg.
I was hoping to save for some high end gear but...well I've seen some good players use these and I guess bass player magazine giving it an award is uplifting.
But then, middle of the read gear is better than beginner.
My cab is perfect...I just need a better head. I didn't imagine buying a Peavey but when push comes to the shove...Still I did say I don't care about names no more.
Wattage does not mean volume I know but that's a fair deal of head room. :)

I've never had experience with Peavey heads, but I own and have regularly gigged a Peavey TNT combo - one of the newer ones with the red logos aswell as using a Bandit for guitar.

IME Peavey gear is great - loud and reliable, and often underrated. The combos are fairly neutral sounding, not full of character, but you can good a good range of tones, making them quite versatile. I've heard people say that the newer TNT combos aren't that loud, but I do find that the clip light comes on early, especially with the speaker protection on, and from what I understand, the light would be red all the time when you are playing if the gain is too high, rather than just coming on when you play hard...don't know if this applies to the heads aswell.

Whilst I can't comment specifically on the Tour 700 head, I would definately recommend the brand from my own experiences. I find that peavey are an affordable brand instead of a cheap, unreliable brand.

I've got the older Max 700 head, which is good for what it is. Very loud, but very plain-sounding. No character. If your bass sounds right for the job, and the cab fits well with the head, you'll have no trouble. Built like a brick sh*thouse. My old Max 450 fell out of a moving car. 1 small dent on a corner. I fired it up a few minutes later... no problems at all. Worked like a dream until I sold it to get the 700.

The new Tour series looks to have a few improvements/additions, and a massive drop in weight. The Max 700 weighs about 25 kg. The Tour 700 weighs about 10 or 11 kg.

If you like it plain and unexciting, go for it! :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='501091' date='May 29 2009, 04:34 PM']Built like a brick sh*thouse. My old Max 450 fell out of a moving car. 1 small dent on a corner. I fired it up a few minutes later... no problems at all. Worked like a dream until I sold it to get the 700.[/quote]

My guitar teacher from a few years ago claimed to have dropped a Peavey Bandit out of a loft in a barn - said the spiky logo badge was broken but the amp still worked fine!

I like the sound of reliability like that!

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='501096' date='May 29 2009, 04:39 PM']My guitar teacher from a few years ago claimed to have dropped a Peavey Bandit out of a loft in a barn - said the spiky logo badge was broken but the amp still worked fine![/quote]
That would not surprise me [b]in the slightest[/b]. These amps are built to last.

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='501091' date='May 29 2009, 04:34 PM']I've got the older Max 700 head, which is good for what it is. Very loud, but very plain-sounding. No character. If your bass sounds right for the job, and the cab fits well with the head, you'll have no trouble. Built like a brick sh*thouse. My old Max 450 fell out of a moving car. 1 small dent on a corner. I fired it up a few minutes later... no problems at all. Worked like a dream until I sold it to get the 700.

The new Tour series looks to have a few improvements/additions, and a massive drop in weight. The Max 700 weighs about 25 kg. The Tour 700 weighs about 10 or 11 kg.

If you like it plain and unexciting, go for it! :)[/quote]

I always hear Peavey users swear by them...can't be bad then.
I do like the fact that it has 700 watts to play with, which I need more than colourful EQ. There are standalone EQ's that you can buy...but watts are a little different.
Being a rack head is good too because as said before, I can case it and case my compressor with it and voila, easier to carry around.

Well I found one online for £330 new. The Tour series sounds to be the newer MAX series as the numbers are the same.
I was gonna get some higher end gear but as always theres a block...I was lucky with my cab but this head sounds like it will do what I want.
*sigh* I guess I'll never have gear to match my playing but...does it really matter?

Well I think it can;t hurt to look at getting one...I'll think about it but it's better than what I am with at the moment.
700 watts from 300 is a big jump in head room.

[quote name='Kongo' post='501171' date='May 29 2009, 07:00 PM']I guess I'll never have gear to match my playing but...does it really matter?[/quote]

The best bass players I've heard and worked with never have the most expensive high-end gear - they have solid, reliable gear.

Peavey amps are workhorses IMO and any bass player who has a reputation as a solid, reliable workhorse has certainly got my respect.

My experience here.

The old Peavey TNT combo was really nice, for a combo (when I think of combos, I think of portable replacements for a larger, better rig). Loud, affordable, reliable (my bass teacher used one for 15 years without ever having a problem with it), although quite heavy, and you wouldn't say it has got a tone you'd kill for (it's not bad, but it is quite generic).

I have played for a while with a guitarist with a Peavey Bandit, and I think it's the best SS amp for a budget. Again, loud, affordable, reliable, and it is one of the only SS combos I've heard that actually sounds decent with distortion.

And the Tour heads. I tried a Tour 450 with a Peavey 1x15" cabinet. I think the cabinet was kinda sh*te, really, since it didn't really respond well with the volume cranked, but the head seemed to me as it was, again, loud, affordable, blah blah :) and again, with kind of a generic tone (or at least, it didn't work for me, since I'm prefer bright and aggressive tones, ie. Hartke and GK). If you aren't really concerned with having a very "distinctive" tone, but a tone that just works in a band situation, I think you wouldn't have any trouble getting it from the Peavey head.

Edited by Boneless

Never tried a Tour head,,,,,,,, probably beacause my 700w Firebass just keeps going!

Can get these for pennies,,, I know everyone wants the holy grail of ultra lightweight an power etc,,,, but,,buy a Peavey,,,, You know it makes sense.... :)

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='501194' date='May 29 2009, 07:41 PM']The best bass players I've heard and worked with never have the most expensive high-end gear - they have solid, reliable gear.

Peavey amps are workhorses IMO and any bass player who has a reputation as a solid, reliable workhorse has certainly got my respect.[/quote]

You speak sense...I mean, I'm not a hired gun at the moment but I'm still a working class muso, working my ass off in the day and musician elsewhere.
I have my Trace Elliot cab, what I always wanted in a cab, but the head...well I was lucky with the cab and so I don't think right now I should go too far with spending on the head right now so, as this has 700 watts max...putting 500 watts into 8 ohms (even the SD800 only puts 450 watts) I have more than enough head room to play with.
Generic sound? Well...many heads I've used that are sposed to be colourless have worked for me.
As long as the tone doesn't break up when pushed 1/2 way I'm fine...that's all I want...and volume. :)
Plus I'd love to hear how these sound paired with a Trace cab.

For £330 - £350 I guess you can't loose.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='bassmansky' post='504908' date='Jun 3 2009, 06:13 PM']you dont work too well with ashdown?pity because soundslive have a uk built 600w mag head for £240,result!ashdowns after sales service is the best around as well and imho that head would go well with the cab. :rolleyes:[/quote]

No sorry, don't get along with them for some reason.
This is now my 2nd option however...but lets see how this month pans out...There be a lot of heads out there which are good.
Good cabs are harder to find...But I already found one and I'm well happy with it.
Finally got to put the Markbass SD800 though it after getting it...AGAIN excellent tone...but better through my TE 1048H than through the Markbass 4x10 cab...I even run the head full out for a few mins to see if my cab could take it...Even at that silly output level the speakers took it and wanted more...So, it's just the case of getting a good head...Not bothered about names when it comes to then but for cabs, it's gotta be Trace Elliot. :)
Seems the 800 watt power handling is true.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='508337' date='Jun 8 2009, 05:03 PM']What about the hartke LH1000? I bought mine new last week for £349. Its 1100 watts at 4 ohms![/quote]
:) GAAAHHHH! WHERE FROM?!?! :rolleyes:

Ahem... [breathes deeply] ...the new RRP on those is £689. If they're still around for £349, I'm sorely tempted.

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='508337' date='Jun 8 2009, 05:03 PM']What about the hartke LH1000? I bought mine new last week for £349. Its 1100 watts at 4 ohms![/quote]

Bridged mono of course, it's a stereo head. :)
Actually I might get an Ampeg SVT-5 pro which is 1350watts Bridged mono...
Time is ticking and so many options...

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='508350' date='Jun 8 2009, 05:15 PM']:) GAAAHHHH! WHERE FROM?!?! :rolleyes:

Ahem... [breathes deeply] ...the new RRP on those is £689. If they're still around for £349, I'm sorely tempted.[/quote]

I know, I think I probably got one of the last ones at that price. I got it from Academy of Sound. They have a website: [url="http://www.whatmusiciansneed.co.uk/acatalog/Bass_Guitar_Amps___Cabs.html?gclid=CIf15fa--5oCFdUB4wodKXj4eg"]http://www.whatmusiciansneed.co.uk/acatalo...CFdUB4wodKXj4eg[/url]

They also have an ebay store where you can get it cheaper - £379

I checked one of these out...Yeah I have seen them before...Loud as you like but problemo is there are only 3 dials for EQ, non-parametric too!
So...unless you like the sound it gives you can't tweak much for my liking.

The scales weigh to the Tour 700 when you view the options, volume and wattage and then put the price and the urgent need to get a decent head at a reasonable price.
Plus, I like the idea of racking it with a rack compressor. :)

I found out that the "Contour" control IS as I said, a "Pre-Shape" if you will...
As with Trace Elliot (although fixed) and recently with Markbass (the VPE control), I find that after setting EQ to the situation, this helps to dial in the tone I desire...I don't like scooping mids on the EQ but even though this says it scoops mids and boosts highs and lows I STILL cut through and my harmonics are never killed...so what it really does eludes me...But what it DOES do is give me that nice bright but deep tone I love!
Great for finger, slap and tap styles that using EQ alone can give either nasty mud or worse, nasal tone...

Needless to say, as I'm in a pinch I don't think I can go wrong with this. :rolleyes:
500 watts @ 8 ohms is enough headroom and, especially with Peavey, loud as you like!
The less output I can get away with the better!

Edited by Kongo

I own a Peavey tour 700, had about 12mths now.
In summary, it aint as good IMHO as the old (very old) XP series head i once had for over 10 years!
But, it aint bad at all.
I feel the 500w/8ohm - 700w/4ohm prob slightly exaggerated?
But there is plenty power there with my old trusty 410tx cab (8ohm).
I have just recently acquired a ashdown abm 410 cab to further assist my fading hearing tho,
So that should be interesting when i get to finally try the whole rig out!
(i will tho...if i like the ashdown?......... acquire a further ashdown abm cab to replace my trusty but tired
old Peavey 410tx!)

Just to add!
At the time of acquiring the Peavey tour 700, i tried out a ashdown abm 500 evo III head.
But couldn't stretch the finances at the time! But IMO the ashdown abm is a better amp!

D

[quote name='justgone' post='511923' date='Jun 12 2009, 10:55 AM']I own a Peavey tour 700, had about 12mths now.
In summary, it aint as good IMHO as the old (very old) XP series head i once had for over 10 years!
But, it aint bad at all.
I feel the 500w/8ohm - 700w/4ohm prob slightly exaggerated?
But there is plenty power there with my old trusty 410tx cab (8ohm).
I have just recently acquired a ashdown abm 410 cab to further assist my fading hearing tho,
So that should be interesting when i get to finally try the whole rig out!
(i will tho...if i like the ashdown?......... acquire a further ashdown abm cab to replace my trusty but tired
old Peavey 410tx!)

Just to add!
At the time of acquiring the Peavey tour 700, i tried out a ashdown abm 500 evo III head.
But couldn't stretch the finances at the time! But IMO the ashdown abm is a better amp!

D[/quote]

Ashdowns don't work for me.
I used one with a seperate amp stage and even THEN could not get the sound I wanted...an for such a HUGE head the volume was low and it would go into the red way too early!

We'll find out soon...But I feel I've gone the right way. Bands that I've seen use these never worry about volume...It's more a name thing these days...or always has been actually.

the abm head i find does take some tinkering with to get the sound youre after.would not say my abm is quiet though.for best results i keep the bass and valve drive down and turn the pre-amp up so its not quite clipping into the red.got more than enough volume with plenty to spare :)

[quote name='lushuk' post='514935' date='Jun 16 2009, 02:42 AM']The pm I have sent you may excite/confuse you! :)[/quote]

I'm looking to go down rack mounted heads now. Trace heads are cased and whereas I love them, Trace are waaaaaaaay better for their cabs.
However do let me know how much they are going for...I COULD change my mind. :rolleyes:
That classic Pre-Shape sound is untouched!

Edited by Kongo