Why become a member? ×

The fretboard formula, your opinion please!

saibuster

Anyone have any experience with Alex Sampson stuff?

Here is a link : [url="http://www.fretboardformula.com/the-relaunch.html"]http://www.fretboardformula.com/the-relaunch.html[/url]

I actually read the whole thing, i know its sad but i guess this retarded marketing system actually managed to get me.

This guy also have some videos posted on another website [url="http://www.bassguitartips.com/newblog/"]http://www.bassguitartips.com/newblog/[/url] And i find his videos
and the way he teaches to be very easy and fun to play along with.

The reason I'm posting this is because im looking for a more complete package of bass practice. Most of the dvds that
are around usually aimed at beginners and for people who are picking up the bass for the first time. I'm looking for
a more advanced DVD that also tells you [b]what[/b] and [b]when[/b] to practice. This package includes over six hours of
video and claims to cover a lot of ground with tips on how and what to actually practice. (which is what I am struggling with).

I know that idealy I would go to a teacher once a week, but unfortunately cant afford that at the moment.

Any thoughts about it? anyone this, or any other package this guy is selling? Maybe you know another DVD or books that fit
the description of what i need? ( I always prefer DVDs as I am dyslectic and find studying with videos much easier)

cheers!

Edited by saibuster

[quote name='saibuster' post='500447' date='May 28 2009, 11:55 PM']Anyone have any experience with Alex Sampson stuff?

Here is a link : [url="http://www.fretboardformula.com/the-relaunch.html"]http://www.fretboardformula.com/the-relaunch.html[/url]

I actually read the whole thing, i know its sad but i guess this retarded marketing system actually managed to get me.

This guy also have some videos posted on another website [url="http://www.bassguitartips.com/newblog/"]http://www.bassguitartips.com/newblog/[/url] And i find his videos
and the way he teaches to be very easy and fun to play along with.

The reason I'm posting this is because im looking for a more complete package of bass practice. Most of the dvds that
are around usually aimed at beginners and for people who are picking up the bass for the first time. I'm looking for
a more advanced DVD that also tells you [b]what[/b] and [b]when[/b] to practice. This package includes over six hours of
video and claims to cover a lot of ground with tips on how and what to actually practice. (which is what I am struggling with).

I know that idealy I would go to a teacher once a week, but unfortunately cant afford that at the moment.

Any thoughts about it? anyone this, or any other package this guy is selling? Maybe you know another DVD or books that fit
the description of what i need? ( I always prefer DVDs as I am dyslectic and find studying with videos much easier)

cheers![/quote]

Hi

I found Alex Sampson's stuff excellent.

The marketing is just typical insanely enthusiastic yank style, but he's actually very motivated for imparting knowledge and has a real passion for teaching.

He also has a web forum and a raft of additional teaching videos but it's restricted unless you are actually a customer.

Once you're on the customer list, he sends out loads of extra resources, very regularly, free. He is a proponent of giving you the material but you must do the work, hence the constant email reminders, which is a good thing.

I am in the same position as you in terms of lessons, hence self teaching but Alex Sampson's stuff starts from basic and goes into intermediate then advanced very quickly. I can't comment on the DVDs as I just paid for the online resource which I think was about £25.

I don't think it would be ethically right to just send you the PDF stuff I have as the guy does put a lot of work into it but I recommend him (I'm a bass newbie).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

[quote name='AM1' post='500501' date='May 29 2009, 01:21 AM']Hi

I found Alex Sampson's stuff excellent.

The marketing is just typical insanely enthusiastic yank style, but he's actually very motivated for imparting knowledge and has a real passion for teaching.

He also has a web forum and a raft of additional teaching videos but it's restricted unless you are actually a customer.

Once you're on the customer list, he sends out loads of extra resources, very regularly, free. He is a proponent of giving you the material but you must do the work, hence the constant email reminders, which is a good thing.

I am in the same position as you in terms of lessons, hence self teaching but Alex Sampson's stuff starts from basic and goes into intermediate then advanced very quickly. I can't comment on the DVDs as I just paid for the online resource which I think was about £25.

I don't think it would be ethically right to just send you the PDF stuff I have as the guy does put a lot of work into it but I recommend him (I'm a bass newbie).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.[/quote]

Thanks for that, exactly the sort of opinion i wanted to hear!

I've just found a topic about it on Talk bass and the reactions where very interesting. People who actually bought his products where very happy
and the ones who didnt called him a scammer, and got very upset at him for using words such as "magic" or "formula". I think his marketing method does create a very negative effect, but Its important to note that he writes everywhere that he used these words, like magic and formula, just because they sound cool and there is no magic in becoming a good bass player, its all about hard work.

I will report back once i get the DVDs. I must say I am very curious about it.

[quote name='saibuster' post='500509' date='May 29 2009, 02:02 AM']Thanks for that, exactly the sort of opinion i wanted to hear!

I've just found a topic about it on Talk bass and the reactions where very interesting. People who actually bought his products where very happy
and the ones who didnt called him a scammer, and got very upset at him for using words such as "magic" or "formula". I think his marketing method does create a very negative effect, but Its important to note that he writes everywhere that he used these words, like magic and formula, just because they sound cool and there is no magic in becoming a good bass player, its all about hard work.

I will report back once i get the DVDs. I must say I am very curious about it.[/quote]

I thought exactly the same when I read all the ridiculous marketing spiel but at the time there was a deal where you got the fretboard stuff but also a whole bunch of much better stuff. I am lazy on fretboard stuff and have managed to get away with playing by ear but now I know it is limiting me which is why I am going back over all these resources again. The fretboard stuff is just one of many of his resources, the really interesting ones are stuff like groove secrets, licks, chord mastery etc. He has a real knack for identifying where people are going wrong on the learning side/hitting walls..and giving you some tools to get past it, but the onus is on you to do the work. I got some excellent drum groove software free on that original deal.

Seriously, the guy is really passionate about teaching - I just decided to take a punt on it for £25 and it was well worth it. I am just amazed he is not more well known but as you say, the over the top marketing is detrimental. I am instantly turned off by seeing bass guides with nonsense like "be a bass guru in 2 weeks" and such hilarity but Sampson emphasises again and again in his material that if you don't put the work in, you won't see results.

On the subject of learning and practice material, I have a ton of other stuff I can send you if you PM your email address. This stuff is free but takes a bit of chasing down.

As to Sampson, remember, I can't vouch on the DVDs..and I don't know where you are in relation to me, I'm bass pondlife.

Cheers
AM

Oh - I meant to mention one more thing and it may not be relevant as you're probably more experienced than me - but the way Sampson positioned the role of the bass in his beginner stuff has been pivotal for me. I can honestly say I did not properly and fully understand the role of the bass in contemporary music until I read his manual, when a lot of stuff just clicked into place. I think that understanding of the role of the bass is crucial in developing the judgement of how to construct basslines that compliment songs and not overplayed "guitar playing on the bass" stuff.

I now know that when people describe bass players as failed guitarists, that they do not understand how to think like a bass player and they do not understand the role of the bass.

His best description was that the bass is like a mini drumkit, with dozens of little pitched drums. He also emphasises getting to know the drums inside out, another concept which has massively improved my ability to play grooves in the verse and add bass fills that fit with the drums.

I'd say ignore the naysayers, who, let's face it, if they haven't bought any of these resources, cannot comment with any valid context - and try one of his learning methods. There's no need to go mad, I only paid £25 and it was well worth it. No magic secrets, but lots of very useful learning methodology.

Cheers
AM